Any thoughts (or guesses) on the pax numbers for cruises sailing Feb/March '22?

annlee

We're booked on Sky transatlantic leaving March 12 from Florida to UK. Is it off-base to expect 50% pax capacity? For those sailing Princess now, do you have an idea how many pax are on your cruise?  Of course, with all things Covid changing at lightening speed, today's pax figures won't reflect next months numbers. Still, it's only 19 days before we leave so I'm curious how full the ships are. That will give us an idea what to expect. I'll admit it, I'm selfishly hoping to experience Sky with fewer passengers than usual.

26 minutes ago, annlee said:

We're booked on Sky transatlantic leaving March 12 from Florida to UK. Is it off-base to expect 50% pax capacity? For those sailing Princess now, do you have an idea how many pax are on your cruise?  Of course, with all things Covid changing at lightening speed, today's pax figures won't reflect next months numbers. Still, it's only 19 days before we leave so I'm curious how full the ships are. That will give us an idea what to expect. I'll admit it, I'm selfishly hoping to experience Sky with fewer passengers than usual.

For current and previous cruises you can check out the various 'live from' threads.  Most contain that info. Since you are most interested in the numbers on the Sky Princess, take a look at those specifically.  Some threads include projected numbers on upcoming cruises.

Not unexpectedly, numbers spiked over the holidays, decreased in January due to the spike in Covid-19, and started increasing again in February (this week is winter spring break in some school districts/states, and will probably continue to increase now that Covid-19 rates are decreasing significantly and spring breaks are on the horizon. 

We were on Grand on February 3rd to Mexico.  Pax count was 1350 about 50% of double occupancy capacity.  Entirety of Aloha deck was closed for use as quarantine (there were reports of folks being quarantined, but few, nobody talks actual numbers).

The following sailing to Hawaii was reported as booked to about 1650 - 1700 which is closer to the 65% limit which was discussed by crew on our sailing (this is an anecdote, you won't fine any official number from Princess).  

But times are changing, including Princess dropping their mask mandate in the coming weeks (though your TA might continue to have more stringent rules, you won't know until you board).  Are Princess simultaneously relaxing capacity limits - the reality is no one knows - they simply don't say.  

You can get some sense by doing fake bookings (to the point of cabin selection) looking for vacancies or the absence of the same.  On our sailing the OV catagory (Obstructed View, behind the lifeboats) on Emerald deck was fairly wide open even a few days before sailing.  Likewise, Inside cabins were widely available for sale right up to sailing.  Princess wasn't restricting those cabins, but folks were self restricting by not purchasing cabins without access to fresh air - that alone keeps capacity down significantly.

3 hours ago, annlee said:

We're booked on Sky transatlantic leaving March 12 from Florida to UK. Is it off-base to expect 50% pax capacity?

Our Holland America TA in October was 47%........I'm on the Sky TA also and very curious about that number also....We booked our first Princess cruise because the rate was crazy low.  

On our roll call, there are peeps already on the Sky and I'm hoping they will ask crew and give us a capacity number.....

Looking forward to the cruise......

We were on Sky two weeks ago and there were 2100 on-board.  Last week there were only supposed to be 1500, so it must really vary from week to week.  I'd guess around 50% for TA. 

Edited by bonship
type error