Virtuosa - March 19 COVID queations.

thepla

I have done search here and this has come up before but things change....

Here is my quick writeup, am I accurate and there a few questions below.

If I read this correctly on MSC website.

Prior to getting to Dubai we need a negative PCR test while in US. For arrival at airport and getting on ship. WE leave on 3/17 for 3/19 cruise. Getting tested on 3/16 seems to cover bases but guaranteeing results on that exact date seems to be problematic. Walgreens here gives a date range for this test, where an antigen test result is quick, but not allowed.

Once arriving in Dubai we can take a free PCR test, go to ship and allowed to board waiting for results. This one seems easy enough.

To visit Qatar, we need to sign up on their website with proper documentation and do any tour with MSC. Nor sure how much a pain this will be, someone here probably has experience.

To get on plane home we need a negative PCR test that appears we can purchase on board.

We are flying Chicago to Helsinki to Dubai there and Dubai though Jordan and Qatar back home. Crazy routing home was to use miles in Business class.

I know we have to have insurance coverage, this one is done and easy.

Does my writeup seem to make sense or am I making this more of a headache than needed.

BTW we have Expo tickets, if that makes easier or more complicated.

Hi, Did this sailing last week (Feb 12th - 19th).  I'm from the UK and flew directly to Dubai but there will be little difference in the details for you.  We had to get a PCR test done within 48 hours of departure time, some countries are 72 hours - check the Emirates website for the US.

In Dubai airport follow the signs and MSC people to the free PCR testing area.  We were concerned in case this came back positive.  However the testers barely put the swap up our nostrils so we were fairly confident of a -ve result.  MSC say you need to show this result to board but that wasn't the case, we just showed our UK PCR result along with vaccination certificate and insurance specifically mentioning covid cover (ours didn't but we had an email from insurance company confirming this).  Once on board we received a text message confirming the Dubai test was -ve but we didn't have to show or report this.  Likewise while in the various ports many places asked to see vaccine certs and PCR results but all accepted the UK results.  No idea what would happen if the Dubai test was +ve.  BTW at the cruise terminal be ready for long and frustrating queues.  All documentation was checked in a 'pre-check in' which took about 1 hour.  Then you are given a number and sit arund for ages with many others with the same number before going to the check in desk where all the paperwork is checked again.

In Qatar you are right, an MSC tour is required, we did the 3 hour panoramic tour which was well worth it - around £32 ($40).  We were allowed off with a guide at several places so its more than just a drive around and was almost 4 hours.  Suggest you book soon as many people took this and I heard reports on other sailings that all places were sold.  Regards the website, Etheraz, I did register and uploaded test results, vaccine certs and cruise tickets before leaving and got the approval bar code.  However it is not required, you can just show your documentation at the start of the excursion, no one even asked to see the Etheraz bar code.

For return, UK requires no tests to enter now and there are no Dubai exit requirements so all depends on what the US require.  On the ship the sports hall is set up on departure day to do testing so that should be easy for you if any are needed.

So apart for the upfront hassle with tests and it taking about 4 hours from landing at Dubai  to finally getting on board, it was all worth it.  Our frst MSC cruise, thought the food was better than others have said, ship wasn't crowded and waiters/bar staff excellent.

5 hours ago, adam7392 said:

MSC say you need to show this result to board but that wasn't the case, we just showed our UK PCR result along

I emailed them before the cruise because the stupid wording on their webpage. They confirmed that any PCR test is ok if it is in the time frame, the one you did at home or one from Dubai. We did the free PCR tests at the EXPO.

Four things for the thread opener:

1. Download and set up the Careem app already before the trip.

2. There is a free EXPO bus just outside the terminal entrance.

3. If you need a PCR test for the flight back, you can do this when you visit the EXPO on Saturday. Even if you buy another EXPO day pass it is much cheaper than do it on the ship.

4. The museum of the future opened this week, we were very said that we have been in Dubai a few weeks too early.

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

I emailed them before the cruise because the stupid wording on their webpage. They confirmed that any PCR test is ok if it is in the time frame, the one you did at home or one from Dubai. We did the free PCR tests at the EXPO.

3. If you need a PCR test for the flight back, you can do this when you visit the EXPO on Saturday. Even if you buy another EXPO day pass it is much cheaper than do it on the ship.

4. The museum of the future opened this week, we were very said that we have been in Dubai a few weeks too early.

Thanks

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

I am flying from US. Don't I need a negative PCR test prior to boarding plane? Going via Helsinki, seems they have same requirements.

I'm concerned about timing or results, PCR tests seem to have date range for results 

7 hours ago, thepla said:

I am flying from US. Don't I need a negative PCR test prior to boarding plane? Going via Helsinki, seems they have same requirements.

I'm concerned about timing or results, PCR tests seem to have date range for results 

Hate to quote myself. If we take PCR test within and get results while in air would that be OK? Do they check at originating airpor or once you land?

If we take PCR, say 72 hours before arrival or MSC cruise time and results are not ready prior to taking off.... We should have results during transport time.

I would take home test and hope I do not get a false negative and use actula PCR upon arrival.

Maybe someone here know how to guarantee results for PCR in less that 2 days but greater than a few hours?

There are two PCR tests needed to board, which I think from your post is clear and not a problem:

(1) Dubai entry requirements:  Today, you will need results from a negative PCR test to board the flight to Dubai - it will be checked at check-in and upon arrival in Dubai.  Check before you fly as the requirements may have changed - e.g. when I visited at Christmas no test was required (just a vaccination certificate).

(2) MSC Cruise requirements:  You need to take a test within UAE within 72 hours before embarkation.   This can be

(a) from any test supplier in UAE (with the results available before you board)

(b) or you can take a free test at the airport when you land, and board the ship without waiting for the results.

(c) or you can take a test for ~$40 at the port and board the ship without waiting for the results.

To fly back to US via Qatar and Jordan is more complicated as you must meet the transit rules for Qatar and Jordan as well as the entry rules for US.   As far as I can tell you need a PCR test within 72 hours of departure for Qatar and Jordan, as well as a PCR or antigen test one day before departure for US.   I use https://www.traveldoc.aero/ to check when I travel.