What town to overnight in between Las Vegas and Long Beach

nycruise1

We want to get into Long Beach early, between 9 and 10, to drop off the rental car and then get over to the terminal for an early checkin.  Also cruise leaves on a Thursday so there could be rush hour traffic heading west as we near Long Beach/LA metro area.  Balancing between how late we stay in Vegas before we get on the road and travel towards Long Beach.  We are coming from the East and will have the 3 hour time effects to deal with as well.  Do we stay in Barstow, and leave around 6 - 7AM the next morning, or try to leave Vegas a bit earlier and make more of the trip in the evening and stay in Victorville or even Ontario?  Regardless of where we stay it will be just to sleep and then get up and head over to the terminal so dont need a town with tourist attractions.

The drive to Long Beach is only 4 hours.  I would leave Las Vegas mid-day and spend the night in Long Beach.  Morning traffic into the city will be bad and could cause a major delay.  I lived in the LA area for many years....I learned to avoid the freeways in the morning.  The traffic will not just be near the Long Beach/Metro area....you will encounter heavy traffic as soon as you hit the San Bernardino area.  Save yourself the aggravation of driving during the morning hours.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, snowmc said:

The drive to Long Beach is only 4 hours.  I would leave Las Vegas mid-day and spend the night in Long Beach.  Morning traffic into the city will be bad and could cause a major delay.  I lived in the LA area for many years....I learned to avoid the freeways in the morning.  The traffic will not just be near the Long Beach/Metro area....you will encounter heavy traffic as soon as you hit the San Bernardino area.  Save yourself the aggravation of driving during the morning hours.

Completely agree. We did exactly this just before COVID hit and it was dead easy. We had spent a few days in Vegas, then drove a one-way rental down to San Pedro, even veering off to Burbank on the way. It's a very easy trip, LA traffic notwithstanding, and I wouldn't see any reason to overnight anywhere but Long Beach, right near your ship, unless you have some reason why you can't drive 4 or 5 hours at a time. Vegas to Barstow is only a two hour drive, then Barstow to Long Beach is another two hours. Why would you want to put up with the stress of a 2 hour drive fighting LA traffic, dealing with rental car returns etc,  the morning you are sailing out?

We live in Las Vegas and cruise out of LA frequently.  We have stayed over in Rancho Cucamonga and have also made the full trip to San Pedro/Long Beach.  It's only about 1 hour (without traffic) to continue on to the cruise port. 

For weekend departures you can stay in RC and save some $$ on a room.  During the week I would listen to the advice offered above.

Agree with everyone above.  There is nothing to see (nor would I ever stay) in any of the "in between" cities you referenced, just make the drive and stay in Long Beach...in Long Beach I recommend the Hotel Maya...you can see the ship right from your room and they have a shuttle if you need it to the terminal.  I too do not recommend dealing with LA traffic morning of.

• Like 2

You haven't said what time of the year this is, how many people and how long you are staying in Las Vegas, etc.

As I think more, depending on the answers to the questions above, if is two people I would drive at all, I'd fly.

On a Thursday, Southwest Airlines has 4 non-stops to LAX leaving LAS before 12 noon, 3 non-stops to Orange County (SNA) leaving LAS before 12 noon and 3 non-stops to Long Beach (LGB) leaving LAS before 1PM. I'd book an early flight feeling comfortable that if the early flight cancelled, there are more flights after and worst case scenario, driving would still be option if every flight cancelled.

Southwest Airlines flights booked far enough in advance start at $49 one way, so for two people it could still be cheaper than a rental and give you more time in Las Vegas and no hassles driving.

IF I did drive, I would not stop on the way. If you stopped in Rancho Cucamonga for example, on a Thursday, you'd still face a two hour drive to LB because of commuter traffic. If you are going to drive, drive all the way in on Wednesday (or fly) and tell us what your hotel budget is and we can help you find an appropriate place.

• Like 1

Another vote for flying to Long Beach. Save on the one way rental car cost. 

Either night before, and stay in Long Beach, or early morning flight. Last month we did the 7 am flight, and we were at the pier by 9:30 waiting to board. 

• Like 1

Hadn't thought about flying.  Initially I liked the idea.  But there would not be a cost savings, as there are 3 of us and the additional cost for the one way rental and the gas would be offset by the flights.  Also, this way we can leave Vegas when we want, either later if we are having a good time, or earlier if we have had enough.  Plus with trekking to the LV airport, going through security and the wait times, the hour flight and any delays, we could be most of the way to Long Beach, from the time we leave for LV airport to the time we get out of the airport upon arrival.  But the key, as everyone is saying, is to leave LV early enough to drive the full trip to Long Beach and spend the night locally.  Thanks everyone.