Pay for food onboard?

gatorphin

About the $3.95 on Johnny Rockets - it was my understanding that when these were first put on ships they were free, but that the popularity, especially by teenagers, was so high that they put the charge on so that there was enough turnover that all who wanted would get a chance to eat there. I'm assuming the Johnny Rockets fare is cheaper for RCCL than main dining, so can't see a reason for a charge from that standpoint.

About the $3.95 on Johnny Rockets - it was my understanding that when these were first put on ships they were free, but that the popularity, especially by teenagers, was so high that they put the charge on so that there was enough turnover that all who wanted would get a chance to eat there. I'm assuming the Johnny Rockets fare is cheaper for RCCL than main dining, so can't see a reason for a charge from that standpoint.

That's true - when it was free, we waited nearly an hour to get in (at 3 p.m. on a port day). Having said that, even if it were still free, I wouldn't waste my time (or calories) to go back. The burger was decent, onion rings average, fries terrible (tasted of having been frozen way too long) - oh, and my chocoholic DH would mention that the malteds were made with vanilla ice cream, there was no chocolate available - ugh!

It was my understanding that the coffee in Windjammer is also Seattle's Best, and that all brewed coffee is free. They only charge for espresso drinks like cappicinos and lattes.

And the speciality coffees with alcohol in them. Stuff like Ben and Jerry's yes they do charge. Remember the cruiselines are in the business of making money. The are all charging for different things on the ships. The speciality restaurants are better than the reular dining rooms and it is a change. It is woth it.

We sailed on the Enchantment last July right after the stretch. I don't believe there was a Johnny Rockets on board. There was a specialty restaurant, though and the coffee bar with cappuccinos and pastries. I also did not see any icecream machines. (My kids were dissapointed in this since we have already sailed on the Navigator)We ate all of our meals in the dining room, pool side and in the Windjammer. The choices were plentiful and we enjoyed everything we ate. I didn't feel slighted in the least.;)

I will be sailing on my first RCCL cruis in 4/1 on VOS and would like to know where they servce food that is included in cruise price. I know of Windjammer, the dining rooms, and soft serve ice cream, but I thought I read somewhere that there is a place to get burgers, pizza, sandwiches, and desserts all free of charge. Is that true? Where do they have this?

Thanks

I personally can't imagine on what planet that RCL would even consider charging extra for food in the dining room. You already pay for it when you pay for the cruise, if you decide to eat in Windjammers, or Chops, Portofinos, etc, you're just saving the cruise line money. There's absolutely no way they could justify charging extra for food when you don't really have a choice of leaving the ship for dinner on sea days. Just shaking my head in wonder.

Wraithe

You may not have a choice of leaving the ship, but you do have a choice of eating in the Windjammer or the dining room. I just think the "dining room option" will one day be an add-on that you specify when you purchase the cruise. I may be wrong...just a feeling.

Archived