NCL transfer question when coming in days early (Rome)

KKB

We will be sailing the Med out of Rome, coming in 2 days early, 5 of us.

Transfers are $150pp. 

I was going to cancel them as I thought I could do it cheaper...but airport to Rome...Rome to port....port to airport...total looks to be pricier.

How does that work when we come in early?

Guessing the transfer doesn't include getting us into Rome & back to the port?

Unless you booked your hotel through NCL, transfers are from airport to port, port to airport.

If you come in early, you can either cancel the transfer or go back to the airport on the day you sail and pick up the transfer to the port.

We sailed from Rome a couple of years ago. We took the train into Rome (inexpensive) from the airport and stayed near the train station. A very simple, cheap train ride to the port. Trains leave every hour.

Coming back we booked ship transfers as it was a Sunday and trains were limited and our flight was around midday.

I guess it all depends on where you are staying in Rome.

• Like 1

Agree with others that the train from Rome to the port is simple and cheap.  It is easy as long as you do not have mega-luggage, as I think I remember there being flights of stairs to deal with.  Personally, I would not want to stay near Termini station as there are much nicer areas of Rome.  There was also a car service called Rome In Limo that was always highly recommended on these boards.  We used them once and they were excellent.

The train was super easy from Rome to the port. We got there early and had a nice breakfast on the water at a small Cafe. The walk wasn't too bad. There are various ride options that can take you from the train station in Civitavecchia closer to the actual terminal of you are limited in walking and address a much cheaper option than a ride from Rome itself. 

Keep an open mind about which Rome train station to use. As I recall many trains originating from the grim central station area would slowly creep around the congested periphery of Rome before zooming towards port. It can be a great opportunity and time saver to depart instead from Vatican or south Rome stations.

Beware of rush hour times where trains can be packed and you may want to have enough spare time to miss one and take another. I recall one ride from the port where even standing room was in such a crush that they eventually opened up first class to all.

Use a quality (gov't?) train route viewer to see the stop names leading up to the one where you disembark. Your windows may be obscured and not show the final stop you look for. Check ahead of time for scheduled train strikes. Educate yourself far more that what these posts say; there is tremendous opportunity to connect with a more interesting part of Rome and save transfer time. Embrace serendipity...

Edited by dumbth

Last Dec., we arranged our (shared) ride from Rome airport to town, and town to cruise port.  There is so much to see/do in Rome, we tried to enjoy Rome before cruise.

We stayed at Hotel Genio, 1-min walk to Piazza Navona, and walking distance to Pantheon, Travi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.  Next day we walked by St. Peter's SQ, to Vatican Museum.  We took the 7:30am small group tour (before opens to public at 8:30am), so had lots of time to listen to the tour guide and learn.  We were able to sit at the Sistine Chapel for 25-min. to enjoy.  Then ate breakfast inside the Vatican Museum.  After that went to the Colloseo, and took a tour that just opened up last June to the underground (and of course also toured the top), then to the Roman Forum and Pallatine.  There's still so much to do/see, for future trips.

Edited by Middleager
  • Like 1