Experience with embarkation testing post 1st March?

Eloise4Ever

For reasons best known to themselves, Oceania have decided to penalise guests embarking from 1st March by making those guests arrange their own Covid tests, rather than provide testing at the pier at Oceania's expense as they did prior to that date. They also advise the following:

image.png.ce864eee560923e8ac07b1a64902b170.png

As we will be flying from Europe to Miami two days prior to the cruise, we will not be in a position to be tested on that day. We don't want to spend the following day getting a test in Miami so would prefer to be tested at the pier. Nor do we want to do a proctored test in our hotel.

I called Oceania to enquire about the cost of the test and was initially told that testing is complimentary. After I pointed out that the Sail Safe notice on the Oceania website stated that was no longer the case from 1st March, the agent made some enquiries and told me that Oceania doesn't know how much the tests cost as they are provided by an external company. I asked for the name of the external company but she didn't know.

I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has undergone testing at Miami port since 1st March in regard to the cost and the experience itself. 

I didn't intend this thread to be about whether or why Oceania made that decision, my point is that having made the decision they should be able to provide the necessary information to go along with it, instead of saying it's nothing to do with us. That is not good customer service.

I will say, other cruise lines are still providing tests at their expense (Azamara for one) so it's disappointing that Oceania are prioritising their bottom line over guest comfort and convenience. 

• Like 1

Hi Eloise4ever,

We are in a similar position. We arrive in Miami from Heathrow on Monday 14th, having been tested the day before. We are transferring to Lauderdale by the Sea for 5 nights. We won’t have a car, so it would be much easier to be tested at the pier. We can get an online proctored test by bringing it with us from the UK, and hope that the connection is good enough. The one Oceania are recommending in Fort Lauderdale is $129 each! It would be much easier if Oceania could give us a price for the pier.

Waiting now for Bermuda to finalize their requirements.

Julie and Les

• Like 2

An earlier SailSafe FAQs cited the new post-March 1 pierside test at $99. Apparently, the most recent update changed that.

In any case, there has always been the issue of testing pre-arrival at embarkation (w/i 48-72 hrs per US or foreign departure). O has always  “highly recommended” it. But a careful reading of the FAQs has consistently showed that, if you didn’t have that prior negative test and you then tested positive at the pier, O would not cover your quarantine and return travel costs. In essence then, savvy O travelers have been paying for their own “pre-tests” for many months. But, now that has become mandatory while the pier test will be continued as a paid convenience.

BTW $99 or even $129 for a private Rapid Antigen Test isn’t all that expensive. Check out the cost for some US Airport labs which can be much more expensive. And there are government sites in Miami that are no cost. The concierge at the Intercontinental Hotel in Miami recommends the no cost rapid results City of Miami site on the grounds of the nearby Salvation Army property. Quick Uber there and back.

Not that it helps those headed to Miami but, if anyone is headed to California to cruise: We use On-Point Testing, which has multiple sites including in L.A. and S.F. (with one site a 5 minute drive from SFO). On flight day, our town car guy stops for 10 minutes at On-Point while we do the rapid antigen tests and we have the results by email soon after arriving at SFO. Cost is $69/person. (Backup is rapid results PCR test at SFO costing >$250 per person. OUCH!)

Of course this only works if any pre-Cruise land stay works for the 48-72 hr pre-cruise test window. So we also research and set appts for tests in embarkation cities as needed (hotel concierges are VERY helpful with this) and we may go ahead and consider doing the telemedicine tests at some point.

And, in the worst case scenario, it’s comforting  that O will have the option of pierside testing (even if it costs $100+\- per person.

We will be paying for our own "pre-tests" 3 days prior to boarding in order to enter the USA. Unfortunately those test results will no longer be valid on embarkation day.

We may even need to pay for a 3rd test due to Bermuda requirements.

Great suggestion to talk to the hotel concierge about local testing sites. I would still prefer to enjoy Miami for the one full day we will be spending there rather than having to tale time out for testing. 

1 minute ago, Eloise4Ever said:

We will be paying for our own "pre-tests" 3 days prior to boarding in order to enter the USA. Unfortunately those test results will no longer be valid on embarkation day.

We may even need to pay for a 3rd test due to Bermuda requirements.

Great suggestion to talk to the hotel concierge about local testing sites. I would still prefer to enjoy Miami for the one full day we will be spending there rather than having to tale time out for testing. 

Some concierges can even arrange the option of “visiting” service that comes to the hotel.