Speaking of Zip-Lines...

centerpoint

Can I add a question here? Are there any do's and don'ts on what to wear when doing the zip lines? Shorts vs. cargo pants? Tennis shoes vs. water shoes? Sleeveless because you get hot? or short sleeves to protect from bugs or harness chafing?

Jan... I did the zip lines/treetop experience in St. Maarten last year. Wear shorts and a tank top. The harness only goes around your waist and groin. Your shorts should be substantial... not too short, thin or baggy. Wear good sneakers. They should give you work gloves to protect your hands. Don't wear anything that hangs off you... like long necklaces or accessories. Dress like you would if you were going to one of those rock climbing walls. HTH

Wanted to let you know that I have seen a new canopy tour... Just along from where I live a new canopy tour has gone up. If you can recall the Lookout on the top of West Bay road (Bet. West End and West Bay) the new canopy is about 100 yards along the road. Think they have literally just opened so I don't have a review for you or how much it costs... Will try to get some details soon.

Island Dweller

Jan... I did the zip lines/treetop experience in St. Maarten last year. Wear shorts and a tank top. The harness only goes around your waist and groin. Your shorts should be substantial... not too short, thin or baggy. Wear good sneakers. They should give you work gloves to protect your hands. Don't wear anything that hangs off you... like long necklaces or accessories. Dress like you would if you were going to one of those rock climbing walls. HTH

Thank you, MEcruzr. This excursion is the highlight of our whole cruise and I've got a whole year to plan this right. When we went parasailing on a previous vacation, no one warned my DH about setting his harness comfortably and he was "pinched" the whole time. :( Kind of took the fun out of it for him. This adventure, I want to be prepared for anything.

Island Dweller - I'll be watching for your updates on canopy tours on Roatan. I read somewhere to ask for the 11-platform tour...I've got the name here somewhere, but I can't find it just now. Is that the new one? or are there three tours now to chose from?

LOL, a lot can change in a year so I'll be checking this subject over and over again. :rolleyes:

We'll be there next week. We tried the Palmetto Bay one last year just after it opened and enjoyed it. We were going to try West Bay but we might give this a try as well. Keep us posted.

Mac

I have friends in my group who are interested in a zip line tour and then meeting up with the rest of the group at The Mayan Princess (West Bay) Does anyone have a website or tour operatior who I can contact for a zip line? Is the canopy tour the same thing? Don't mind me...I'm a novice.

Thank you in advance!!

Canopy Tour/Zipline are the same. No question is a silly question.

Have no updates on the new canopy, but people are using it, just not me.:o

Hey Island Dweller,

I came across 2 zipline tours. One is at West Bay and the other Palmetto Bay. I have hired Cinthia & Diana to take us to West Bay Beach, but she will also be taking 4 of my friends to a zip line tour. The price she quoted for the zipline tour is $45 pp. Does that sound about right? If not, can you recommend any other tours for less?

The Ladies did indeed quote you the correct price for the Palmetto Canopy. The new one (which is at most 1/4 mile from the West Bay Canopy the one that is sold on most of the ships) has a price on their sign for $35.00... Is it good, I don't know, I haven't been, but people are using it... I just haven't got a review here yet. Sorry.

We just returned yesterday from NCL Jewel, we did the Palmetto Bay (or Roaton Jungle Canopy) Tour last Tuesday. It was 45 pp, I thought well worth it. There were 13 zip lines and 6 bridges (you are still hooked to the lines, so you can't fall off). It was great, our guide was Derreck and he was very entertaining, but most conscious of our safety at all times. I really did not want to go on the tour, as I am afraid of heights, but the rest of my family wanted to, so I went. I am glad I did, my advice to those afraid of heights, is don't look down, just focus oin the trees and looking around. The only relatively strenuous part is a small rock climbing wall you have to climb, but they will help you over it. The size issue was interesting. I did not think they would let either of my husband, who is 6'3 and 240lbs, a big guy, or my son who is just 8, go on the zip line. But if they have a harness that will safely fit you, you can go. So we had one big guy, one scared mom, one small child and a 13 yr. old who was begging to go. After the tour our driver, Reggie, from Bodden Tours, took us to the West End. We saw the new zip line sign, I would be a little wary of a new operation, but it may be fine. From what I understand, the cruise lines take you to the West End older zip line. We did not want to be in the crowds, thus we asked our driver for the Jungle Canopy tour, which is supposedly longer than the West End one. I tried ahead of time to get more info, they have a web site, but don't really respond to questions via email. If you want to go, I suggest you hire a driver to take you, signs on the main road direct you where to turn. Have fun and ask for Derreck, he made the experience great for all of us.

The Ladies did indeed quote you the correct price for the Palmetto Canopy. The new one (which is at most 1/4 mile from the West Bay Canopy the one that is sold on most of the ships) has a price on their sign for $35.00... Is it good, I don't know, I haven't been, but people are using it... I just haven't got a review here yet. Sorry.

Do you know who I can contact for the West Bay Canopy? Is that the one located in French Harbour?

We just returned yesterday from NCL Jewel, we did the Palmetto Bay (or Roaton Jungle Canopy) Tour last Tuesday. It was 45 pp, I thought well worth it. There were 13 zip lines and 6 bridges (you are still hooked to the lines, so you can't fall off). It was great, our guide was Derreck and he was very entertaining, but most conscious of our safety at all times. I really did not want to go on the tour, as I am afraid of heights, but the rest of my family wanted to, so I went. I am glad I did, my advice to those afraid of heights, is don't look down, just focus oin the trees and looking around. The only relatively strenuous part is a small rock climbing wall you have to climb, but they will help you over it. The size issue was interesting. I did not think they would let either of my husband, who is 6'3 and 240lbs, a big guy, or my son who is just 8, go on the zip line. But if they have a harness that will safely fit you, you can go. So we had one big guy, one scared mom, one small child and a 13 yr. old who was begging to go. After the tour our driver, Reggie, from Bodden Tours, took us to the West End. We saw the new zip line sign, I would be a little wary of a new operation, but it may be fine. From what I understand, the cruise lines take you to the West End older zip line. We did not want to be in the crowds, thus we asked our driver for the Jungle Canopy tour, which is supposedly longer than the West End one. I tried ahead of time to get more info, they have a web site, but don't really respond to questions via email. If you want to go, I suggest you hire a driver to take you, signs on the main road direct you where to turn. Have fun and ask for Derreck, he made the experience great for all of us.

Great review!! Thanks a bunch!!

I will tel my friends to try the Jungle Canopy. I hired a driver to take us to the Mayan Princess. They said they would take my friends to the zipline so it would cost them $45.00, plus $15.00 for transportation. That's probably not a bad deal, but I was hoping to find a driver who would include that within the $45.00. Did Bodden charge you a flate rate of $45.00?

We hired the Bodden driver for the entire day for a rate of $25.00 pp. We asked the driver to take us certain places and he also made some suggestions. The entry fees for any activities we paid directly to the activity, such as the Canopy Tour ($45.00 pp). Reggie, the driver, took us to the West End after the canopy tour and then took us to the Mayan Princess, where we had lunch and relaxed, but he stayed on the property the entire time so we could let him know when we were ready to leave. The Mayna Princess was very nice. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Canopy Tour/Zipline are the same. No question is a silly question.

Have no updates on the new canopy, but people are using it, just not me.:o

My daughter and I did this zipline tour last week and it was a blast!!! The guides were very patient(I was quite nervous at first) and made it a fun adventure for both of us. No line ups. Give them a try, you'll love it!!! Tell them Caron and Tori Say Hi!!!!

Our plans are to go to West Bay Beach and then my two friends are going to try out the ziplines. If they leave to go to the zipline tour at 3:00 pm (from West Bay Beach) and we have to return to our ship by 5:30 pm - would they have enough time? I know the zipline is only about 45 minutes to an hour but how bad are the lines and preperations?

Hello!

I am interested in the Palmetto Bay (or Roaton Jungle Canopy) Tour. Can somebody tell me if this is more of a site seeing thing or a thrill seeking thing? We are all rock climbers and hikers from Colorado and don't want to pay to be underwhelmed by an organized tour, but may love the adventure!?! Looks like the tour lasts about 1 hour, do you do multiple ziplines, or is it a one shot deal?

Please share your thoughts... thank you!!

Archived