Carnival Magic v. Legend with 2 year old

Abr155

Just got the offer from my husband to take a cruise this fall as my birthday, anniversary present, woo!  It will be our daughter's (will be 2 and change by time of cruise) first cruise (have longer 11 day cruise booked for when she's almost 4).

Anyhoo, we'd be going to Bermuda (been there, love it, dying to get back), and I need help choosing  - the cost difference is minimal.

1st option:

Carnival Legend out of Baltimore - 6 nights (Oct. 9-15)

Pros:

-Baltimore is super close and convenient

-Longer itinerary, but same amount of time in Bermuda (adds extra sea day to get there - which may be helpful to get toddler adjusted?)

-Daughter will be slightly older than cruise below so more of a chance she'd be potty trained

Cons:

-Have to take off 4 days of work

-Only one bathroom with shower (more on that below)

2nd option:

Carnival Magic out of NYC - 5 nights (Aug. 31-Sept. 5)

Pros:

-Deluxe ocean view has split bathroom (one bathroom with shower and toilet and another bathroom with toilet and bathtub which would be HUGE for us)

-Bigger ship = few more amenities ?

-Only have to take off 3 days of work

-A little bit earlier in the year, so may be warmer/better weather?

Cons:

-Leaves out of NYC - still drivable for us, but def. intimidating and more expensive

-Shorter itinerary for almost same price as above

REALLY hoping Camp Ocean will either be open to all by then.

Thanks!

I cant imagine driving to nyc for a cruise. But I'm older but since covid I only drive to the closest port for me. It's not worth driving further any more. Magic has movies under the stars at night. Idk what legend has for lunch choices but magic has bbq on sea days, stir fry etc. 

Legend has more space per pax. Nice class of ships. I have lots of pics of the deluxe ov on dream class. It also has a extra closet ..not that I used it. I was solo hahahaha. I have a couple trying to show the hallway on the deluxe is longer so they added a extra section of closet space. I got more trying to show the bathtub controls have also a shower option. Not sure if the sofa was convertible but this is what I had.

20211025_184449.jpg

20211025_184513.jpg

20211026_002116.jpg

20211025_122753.jpg

20211029_104246.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I cant imagine driving to nyc for a cruise.

Haha, I'm feeling the same way.  We'd likely drive to NJ and have family drop us off, but still, way more of a hassle than Baltimore!

Thank you for the pics and info.  That bathroom looks so nice.  Decisions, decisions.

10 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

I've had one of those deluxe oceanviews on Dream. They definitely make getting ready easier with two adults. I can only imagine with a toddler that bathtub would make a huge difference. 

My thoughts exactly! I'm even thinking about making her a little toddler bed in the washroom so we won't disturb her, but can't decide if that's too weird and over the top haha

Just an F.Y.I. if bathroom space is an issue, you can maybe have your partner stay back with one of the kiddos and go and use the showers in the gym.  They are very large and free for use.  I use them myself, easier all around, even when it just 2 people... you know.... us gals having to shave and all.

I also agree with above posters as to Baltimore being a very easy port to get in and out of.  They dont kill ya with the week parking fees either.  We are doing the Legend in June, I've done the Pride at least 7 times and it was one of my all time favorite ships.  I was on the MG 2nd sailing, so that says allot.  I prefer the smaller, easier to navigate ships without all of the bells and whistles.  My cocktails all taste the same no matter which ship 🙂

45 minutes ago, PittsburghGirlee said:

Just an F.Y.I. if bathroom space is an issue, you can maybe have your partner stay back with one of the kiddos and go and use the showers in the gym.  They are very large and free for use.  I use them myself, easier all around, even when it just 2 people... you know.... us gals having to shave and all.

I also agree with above posters as to Baltimore being a very easy port to get in and out of.  They dont kill ya with the week parking fees either.  We are doing the Legend in June, I've done the Pride at least 7 times and it was one of my all time favorite ships.  I was on the MG 2nd sailing, so that says allot.  I prefer the smaller, easier to navigate ships without all of the bells and whistles.  My cocktails all taste the same no matter which ship 🙂

What a pro tip!! Thanks! I’m also thinking a smaller ship may be good for our daughter’s first cruise! We’ve done real small (Victory) and mega ships on different lines. Maybe this will be a nice in between!

4 minutes ago, Abr155 said:

What a pro tip!! Thanks! I’m also thinking a smaller ship may be good for our daughter’s first cruise! We’ve done real small (Victory) and mega ships on different lines. Maybe this will be a nice in between!

I dont have kids so dont have a list but one thing I'd be looking at is are there any ships that allow toddlers who arent potty trained. I was on liberty ots who has a toddler splash area. Not a good picture, I was showing someone the rain, but the wee ones were having so much fun when the days were nice. They would put their hands where water squirted out and shriek and run away, then run back. Some were too small for this tiny slide even with moms help.

Your little one wouldnt be allowed in a swim area on any carnival ships that I remember. 

This is liberty OTS. There are probably similar class ships that do shorter cruises. The splash area is on the right you can barely see ..most ships do not have a area for babies.

20220212_142926.jpg

• Thanks 1

Another thing to consider is naps.  They are both necessary and awful at the same time. We started cruising in a balcony cabins so we could have a space to be while the kids napped or went to bed earlier than we wanted.  It was awesome. I know that throws your bathroom plans out of whack though.  

We sailed on both Magic and Legend, both have their pros and cons. The Magic has more 'stuff' to do, but your daughter will be too little.  The Legend is really easy to navigate.  I'd pick the easier port for you to get to, less time in the car.

As far as the shower/bath tub.  You can get an inflatable bath tub and use the hand held wand in the shower to fill it up.  We did it once, then the kids started liking the "special bath" on cruises.  Others gave the advice of taking it on deck to make a mini pool, but we never did. 

I can't comment on the specific ships you've mentioned cause I haven't been on them, but have been on similar. But I have cruised with my daughter both when she was 14 months and again when she was a little over 3. When she was 14 months, we had a crib put in our cabin and it worked well, though it did really take up floor space. But it was nice to be able to have a curious toddler contained! When she was three, she slept on the couch that was converted into a twin bed. 

I will say though, that we found it really great to have a balcony cabin when traveling with our little one. It gave us a space to hang out in the evening, early morning or while she was napping and not be disturbing her. I brought our video baby monitor so I could see and hear her if she stirred while we were on the balcony. It worked perfectly! 

We also read where many people said to bring an inflatable tub to use for bath times. We brought one...but I didn't even end up taking it out of the packaging. I just lugged her in the shower with me. I would get her hair and body washed and then hand her out to hubby to get her dried off and dressed while I finished my shower. This was so much easier than dealing with an inflatable tub taking up space. 

Other advise I would give to someone traveling with a little one - 

Take a sturdy umbrella stroller - one that folds up and can be stored without taking up much cabin space. Ours had a canopy for shade and a shoulder strap for easy carrying. We toted her all around the ship and in port in that stroller. At dinner, our waiter would store it out of the way while she ate and then brought it back to us near the end of dinner. I would put her in the stroller while we finished eating and she would usually fall right to sleep (we had late dinner seating - which actually worked out well). During peak times like getting off the ship in port or right after a dinner seating lets out, it can be hard to get an elevator with room for a stroller. So a couple of times we just carried her up the stairs with me carrying her while the hubby carried the stroller on his back. 

Kids cannot wear swim diapers in the pools or splash areas - that does limit what you have to do on sea days. It was fine for us, but just something to be aware of! 

If your kiddo is still in diapers - just buy a large box and put a ship luggage tag on it and leave it with the porters when you drop off your luggage. No need to take up precious suitcase space! We flew into port, but still were able to do this by only packing what we needed for the trip down and pre-cruise overnight and buying a box at a store in our port city. It worked out beautifully! 

And more than anything - just go with the flow! Cruising with a toddler can be a challenge and you need to remain flexible and have FUN! 🙂 

1 hour ago, ugagal07 said:

Another thing to consider is naps.  They are both necessary and awful at the same time. We started cruising in a balcony cabins so we could have a space to be while the kids napped or went to bed earlier than we wanted.  It was awesome. I know that throws your bathroom plans out of whack though.  

We sailed on both Magic and Legend, both have their pros and cons. The Magic has more 'stuff' to do, but your daughter will be too little.  The Legend is really easy to navigate.  I'd pick the easier port for you to get to, less time in the car.

As far as the shower/bath tub.  You can get an inflatable bath tub and use the hand held wand in the shower to fill it up.  We did it once, then the kids started liking the "special bath" on cruises.  Others gave the advice of taking it on deck to make a mini pool, but we never did. 

I thought about this, but then I started to get anxiety about her on the balcony lol even though she would never be out there alone! I'm having my TA price out balcony cabins as well - if price is right, that's probably what we'll do! Baby girl loves her sleep!

1 hour ago, MistyRo76 said:

I can't comment on the specific ships you've mentioned cause I haven't been on them, but have been on similar. But I have cruised with my daughter both when she was 14 months and again when she was a little over 3. When she was 14 months, we had a crib put in our cabin and it worked well, though it did really take up floor space. But it was nice to be able to have a curious toddler contained! When she was three, she slept on the couch that was converted into a twin bed. 

I will say though, that we found it really great to have a balcony cabin when traveling with our little one. It gave us a space to hang out in the evening, early morning or while she was napping and not be disturbing her. I brought our video baby monitor so I could see and hear her if she stirred while we were on the balcony. It worked perfectly! 

We also read where many people said to bring an inflatable tub to use for bath times. We brought one...but I didn't even end up taking it out of the packaging. I just lugged her in the shower with me. I would get her hair and body washed and then hand her out to hubby to get her dried off and dressed while I finished my shower. This was so much easier than dealing with an inflatable tub taking up space. 

Other advise I would give to someone traveling with a little one - 

Take a sturdy umbrella stroller - one that folds up and can be stored without taking up much cabin space. Ours had a canopy for shade and a shoulder strap for easy carrying. We toted her all around the ship and in port in that stroller. At dinner, our waiter would store it out of the way while she ate and then brought it back to us near the end of dinner. I would put her in the stroller while we finished eating and she would usually fall right to sleep (we had late dinner seating - which actually worked out well). During peak times like getting off the ship in port or right after a dinner seating lets out, it can be hard to get an elevator with room for a stroller. So a couple of times we just carried her up the stairs with me carrying her while the hubby carried the stroller on his back. 

Kids cannot wear swim diapers in the pools or splash areas - that does limit what you have to do on sea days. It was fine for us, but just something to be aware of! 

If your kiddo is still in diapers - just buy a large box and put a ship luggage tag on it and leave it with the porters when you drop off your luggage. No need to take up precious suitcase space! We flew into port, but still were able to do this by only packing what we needed for the trip down and pre-cruise overnight and buying a box at a store in our port city. It worked out beautifully! 

And more than anything - just go with the flow! Cruising with a toddler can be a challenge and you need to remain flexible and have FUN! 🙂 

Thank you for all of this!! Noting all of it - in a perfect world, she'd be potty trained.  If we did legend (which we are very much leaning towards), she will be 2 years, 3 months - so, you never know haha  If not, oh well, I'm assuming she won't be.  I hate that Carnival doesn't have splash pad or baby pool for diapered kiddos - I saw where someone brought a blow up baby pool and set it up on the pool deck haha

19 minutes ago, Abr155 said:

Thank you for all of this!! Noting all of it - in a perfect world, she'd be potty trained.  If we did legend (which we are very much leaning towards), she will be 2 years, 3 months - so, you never know haha  If not, oh well, I'm assuming she won't be.  I hate that Carnival doesn't have splash pad or baby pool for diapered kiddos - I saw where someone brought a blow up baby pool and set it up on the pool deck haha

The splash pools I've seen on rcl the parents remove the diapers. Diapers arent allowed. 

• Thanks 1

May have just answered my own question: the Baltimore cruise is in October which means…it’s a frightfully fun Halloween cruise wij decorations, costumes, and trick-or-treating: SOLD haha

4 hours ago, Abr155 said:

If you mean the Carnival Victory, Legend is smaller than Victory was.

5 hours ago, Abr155 said:

May have just answered my own question: the Baltimore cruise is in October which means…it’s a frightfully fun Halloween cruise wij decorations, costumes, and trick-or-treating: SOLD haha

Halloween is fun on the ships! You can go trick or treating one day. Don’t miss the pumpkin carving either.