Excursions are sold out online-do they save spots for onboard? (ideas for Puerto Rico)

Hi,

I am SO late booking excursions probably because this is our third rebooked cruise and I was nervous to add more $$ but we sail in 27 days! 1) if an excursion on cruise planner says sold out does that mean it's def sold out OR do they save some spots for people to book onboard? 2) If it is sold out what do you recommend we do at Puerto Rico and what companies are safe to make sure you get back to the ship in time. We like to board way before sail away. I've already done El Morro twice so wanted something like land and sea combo to see more of the island. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Laurba99 said:

Hi,

I am SO late booking excursions probably because this is our third rebooked cruise and I was nervous to add more $$ but we sail in 27 days! 1) if an excursion on cruise planner says sold out does that mean it's def sold out OR do they save some spots for people to book onboard? 2) If it is sold out what do you recommend we do at Puerto Rico and what companies are safe to make sure you get back to the ship in time. We like to board way before sail away. I've already done El Morro twice so wanted something like land and sea combo to see more of the island. Thanks!

Some years ago, i was told that RCL keeps 25% for on bard bookings,  This applied to excursions and entertainment, when able to book on line.

Upon boarding, go to the excursions desk and make your reserves or if available on the app.

I'd go ahead and get on a wait list, if there is one.  Can't hurt.  It's probably worth going back to check from time to time, as folks do change their plans.

I wouldn't count on having inventory held back for on board bookings.  While I have no reason to doubt that the above poster was told that, we've tried to book sold out tours as soon as we boarded only to be put on a wait list.  With the currrently more limited options and smaller numbers on board, I'd think it would be pretty risky for the ship to hold back as much as 25% (but I won't pretend to be expert at managing a ship).

The worst case is just to get off and wander around Old San Juan.  It's great for that!

San Juan doesn't have a huge number of excursions anyway but you can go to the rain forest, cave or a tubing trip.  Plus usual harbor cruise and distillery tour.  Check out the San Juan board here and the independent tour consolidators like shoreexcursioneer, shoreexcursionsgroup and viator for ideas.  Tour companies will get you back - that isn't an issue.  The ones you book on the dock can still be fine.  Really depends on how far out of town you are comfortable going to.  The beaches north of  the airport are fine and you can get there for around $23.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/80-san-juan-pr/

We've actually had more tours cancelled since August due to lack of interest or the operator not being able to run a tour.  Back in November even a lot of shops in San Juan weren't open.  Hope it is better now.