E bike excursion thru Black Forest

Michael50

• 1 month later...

I was on a Viking Rhine cruise in the last week of April. I chatted to some who had taken the optional e-bike tour of The Black Forest.

They said the bikes were more bike than 'e'. They complained they had to do a lot of pedalling and they were sore. They had thought the motor would take the work from hills but said that wasn't the case.

My husband (then 47) and my folks (then early 70's) did this on our Viking Rhine cruise in 2019 - all three really enjoyed it - my husband still talks about it - and they all found it to be a rather easy ride.  There were not many people on the tour, they were the only ones from our ship and they were joined by a few folks from another ship.

8 hours ago, pontac said:

They said the bikes were more bike than 'e'. They complained they had to do a lot of pedalling and they were sore.

I am not too familiar with the technical stuff, but I know people can assume they do not need to do any pedalling. There are different versions of assisted cycling with a motor. Not sure that this website covers it all, but it gives some explanations: https://www.electric-bicycle-guide.com/pedelec.html

From what I have understood at work (dealing with cycling tourists) older folks like the bikes because it gives them more range as the pedalling is easier, i.e. assisted. Could those be the bikes that Viking offers?

notamermaid