Cancellation Protection Plan vs Flexible Cancellation

nyold

Hello,

The new Flexible Cancellation rule is fantastic. However, I'm wondering how it would interact with the Cancellation Protection Plan (the one for $79 per person).

The new Flex rule is that you can cancel for any reason up to 30 days before departure, OR, you can cancel up to the day before if you test positive for Covid. You get 100% of your money back, as a combination of refund and FCC, depending on when you cancel it (e.g 50% refund and 50% FCC).

And the CPP rule is that you get 80% refund if you cancel for any reason up to 24 hours before departure. It doesn't say anything about FCC which is understandable, since this plan has been in place since way before Covid.

So my question is how do these two rules interact? I'm taking 2 elderly parents (70+ with existing conditions) for June departure. At this point the covid situation looks okay but who know what variants lurk around the corner. I'm obviously hoping there's NOT another variant but we never know, and 30 days seems long given how fast Omicron wave came and went. I'm thinking, if I buy a cruise now and get the CPP plan as well, and cancel 2 weeks before simply because we feel uncomfortable, how is that going to work?

My rule, especially with insurance and cancel policies, is read what is in writing; don't rely on what someone tells you; they don't ever seem to be the same, and what's in writing is what counts.

Here is the link for Holland America insurance plans.  The other policy can come and go and change, so actual insurance is a more sure, dependable thing to get money back, etc.  Study these and make your decision based on what's in writing available.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html

Edited by 12cruise2

My rules is to use my Chase credit card for its insurance coverage.  The Covid cancellation policy is a temporary  measure and is not going to help you if your flight is delayed, there is a family emergency or other last minute emergency.  I never buy insurance from the cruise company, that leaves me with no advocate. 

• Like 1