Beer - There’s always a river nearby

CPT Trips

Different river, also a gorge. This one on the Danube in Germany is very different from the Rhine Gorge. The Danube gorge called "Donaudurchbruch" is not navigable for ships, that means it is not allowed for motorized boats apart from a few excursions boats that sail a few kilometres upstream from Kelheim and back. So can see the situation here:

image.thumb.png.80d09188d516cd10eaae4e152168541e.png

At the far right in the screenshot you see where your journey on the Danube starts or ends, by that I mean you either go up or come down on the upper waterway, which is the Main Danube Canal. The bendy line through the photo is the gorge and the meander is the famous spot where we get to the topic of this thread - beer. In my screenshot one excursion boat is sailing towards Weltenburg and one is docked there.

Weltenburg claims to be the oldest brewery run by monks in the world. The setting is stunning:

https://www.weltenburger.de/brauerei/

You can do a tour of the brewery and I think an excursion boat trip has been mentioned as an optional tour on Viking. Please check if you are interested - or tell us what it was like if you have been.

The gorge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danube_Gorge_(Weltenburg)

notamermaid

I take back my previous post. We did visit the Weltenburg Abbey on our Virgin river voyage 17 years ago, Vienna/Wien to Amsterdam, and it did include beer and a pretzel. I’m sure I had more than one, but I didn’t buy a hat. 
We enjoyed the whole excursion and the scenery was great. I would do it again. 
Now that we’re slowing down and more experienced, I think I’d do that itinerary again. 

• Like 1