San Diego - best pizza at Flippi's?

DaveOKC

We are planning on once again visiting Flippi's the evening prior to our cruise.  I cannot remember the name of the specialty pizza we had the last two times we were there but it was fantastic!  Any recommendations/advice?  I know to get there early as its a Sat.

Fillip’s is pretty good, especially if you like a lot of cheese on your pizza. I bet you had the Fit for a King pizza. 

if you’re into local places and like burgers, you can’t miss with Hodads. If you want seafood, the Fish Market is very good, but getting a bit pricy. However, there smoked fish from the market counter can’t be beat. If you’re wanting Mexican, I really like Lola 55. And if you want some awesome fried chicken, the Crack Shack can’t be beat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We are planning on once again visiting Flippi's...

1 hour ago, jkrislc said:

Fillip’s is pretty good...

Okay, friends...it is NOT "Flippi's" nor "Fillip's"....It is FILIPPI'S...

It's a local San Diego chain (I think there are presently 13 of them spread out from San Diego to Norco)...Founded in 1950 by Vincent DePhilippis--who was born in New York City, so you know the pizza is going to be authentic--and still owned by family members today...

Personally, when in San Diego, it's my go-to...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Fine, so what is their BEST pizza in your opinion?

I'm a purist...and born in NYC...

IMHO, I believe there are only three things acceptable to put on MY pizza:

Sausage, Pepperoni, Mushroom...in any combination...

Or, often, best of all:  Plain cheese...The important parts aren't the toppings...it's 1) the crust, 2) the sauce and 3) real Mozzarella...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Fine, so what is their BEST pizza in your opinion?

I don’t think you can go wrong with Filippi’s. The best pizza is subjective, but I’d go with what you like. Personally, my favorite pizza place is called Upper Crust, but it’s in the north part of the county and not practical. If you’re looking for something different, then Officine Buona Forchetta at Liberty Station is very good. 

I love Filippi's Pizza Grotto and if you are on foot in the Little Italy area it is just fine. I like Filippi's as much for the atmosphere (candle in the Chianti bottle, checkered table cloth, chopped up dining rooms and the entry through the deli) as for the food. I've never had a bad meal at Filippi's, but I understand that many locals have other favorites. Unfortunately they aren't in Little Italy, they are in places like North Park, South Park, Golden Hill, etc.

You can read this from TripAdvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k7106527-Best_Pizza_in_San_Diego-San_Diego_California.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kineticoh20 said:

Best pizza in San Diego hands down is Bronx Pizza.

I thought so too until I ordered two slices from Luigi's Pizzeria (Golden Hill) and was still hungry and happened to be close to Bronx. I ordered the same two slices that I had ordered at Luigi's and I couldn't believe how much better Luigi's was than Bronx.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I thought so too until I ordered two slices from Luigi's Pizzeria (Golden Hill) and was still hungry and happened to be close to Bronx. I ordered the same two slices that I had ordered at Luigi's and I couldn't believe how much better Luigi's was than Bronx.

Wow that’s high praise, I’ll have to try it. 

• Like 2