Independent travel insurance vs princess insurance

Willwils

I've already purchased trip insurance for my July 2022 Alaska Princess cruise tour through Insurmytrip. Now I'm concerned that I should  have purchased Princess's own insurance after looking at Princess rules if things get messed up..I also  purchased air travel through  Princess. will I be ok?  See latest from Princess ....

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/

2 hours ago, Willwils said:

I've already purchased trip insurance for my July 2022 Alaska Princess cruise tour through Insurmytrip. Now I'm concerned that I should  have purchased Princess's own insurance after looking at Princess rules if things get messed up..I also  purchased air travel through  Princess. will I be ok?  See latest from Princess ....

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/

Princess only sells insurance. They don't help with, process, or pay out claims. They just get the commission.

The ONLY thing good about Princess insurance is that it includes Cancel For Any Reason and that the price is not based on age. Otherwise, 3rd party insurance such as you got from InsureMyTrip is better all the way around.

Of course, that"s only if the coverage you bought will cover whatever most concerns you. No travel insurance policy is a catch all.

• Thanks 1

The Princess COVID Assistance plan will complement any travel insurance. It does not have to be the Princess-sponsored policy.

In the link you provided, Princess states what they will provide in terms of medical expenses and meal allowance. The Family Assistance liaison assigned to work with you will help you file a claim with your insurance so that you can be reimbursed in cash for items that Princess does not cover such as a hotel room if you require quarantine after disembarkation or change fees for airfare.

If you have to cancel for a COVID-related reason, your insurance will treat it as any other illness, and you can receive reimbursement for all nonrefundable expenses instead of the FCC provided by the Cruise with Confidence policy.

I don’t see any need for alarm. The Princess assistance and cancellation policies are not replacements for insurance nor do you have to buy Princess insurance to benefit from them.

I dislike both Princess policies for a very simple reason, their medical maximums ($10,000 or $20,000) are wholly inadequate.  If folks do not have other medical coverage (when outside their country) those limits could easily lead to bankruptcy if one has a major medical emergency.

Hank

• Thanks 1