Straw clarification

famof4togo

7 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

First sentence of the first article:

"The cruise line giant Carnival Corporation and its Princess subsidiary have agreed to pay a criminal penalty of $20 million for environmental violations such as dumping plastic waste into the ocean."

THen a little further down:

"Miami-based Carnival pleaded guilty Monday to six probation violations, including the dumping of plastic mixed with food waste in Bahamian waters"

There is way more plastic on board than straws and to blame the crew members who sort by hand guest waste products that they missed some straws is ridiculous.   

On 3/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, Indytraveler83 said:

Please keep in mind that the reason they eliminated straws (and most single use plastics) was that they were ending up in the sea with food waste, as the ship's sorting process wasn't catching many of these items. 

40 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't see anywhere that the ban on plastic straws and the environmental cases have anything to do with the failure of crew to sort waste properly.   

What in the world are you going on about?  Look at my quote above.  Do I directly blame crew?  I state "the ship's sorting process." I've also made it clear that the straws were part of a larger issue of single use plastics.  

Don't put words out that I didn't say.  Carnival admitted it did not have good enough processes in place to address single use plastics.  They were fined for it.  They got rid of plastics like this to address the issue.  Those are facts. I've said nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

What in the world are you going on about?  Look at my quote above.  Do I directly blame crew?  I state "the ship's sorting process." I've also made it clear that the straws were part of a larger issue of single use plastics.  

Don't put words out that I didn't say.  Carnival admitted it did not have good enough processes in place to address single use plastics.  They were fined for it.  They got rid of plastics like this to address the issue.  Those are facts. I've said nothing more and nothing less.

Who do you think is the "ship's sorting process?"  

10 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Who do you think is the "ship's sorting process?"  

I have no experience in that.  Carnival clearly states that their sorting process onboard is inadequate.  Is it automated?  Is it manual?  No clue.  

Don't twist my words or my intent and try to discredit what I said for shaming me for something I didn't.  

It is a FACT that Carnival Corp failed to properly sort plastics from food waste and it ended up in the ocean.  They chose to deal with it by elimination of those materials from the ship.  I'm not interjecting my opinion or thoughts on this matter, simply providing you with the sources you requested.  

• Like 1

I buy the eco straws that are made of compostable/disolvable material and take a zip lock of them.  stash a few of them in my purse every day.  They are a bit more expensive at around $7 for 300 of them but I only use them for travel to the beach areas to do my part in savingthe sealife from choking on plastic straws dumped inthe ocean. I have no idea how trash from a bin on a boat gets into the ocean but Carnival says that's why they have the stupid sugar straws so it must be an issue.

The sugar straws get slimy after about 5 minutes, they are gross.

https://www.amazon.com/Individually-Compostable-Straws-KTOB-Biodegradable-Plant-Based/dp/B09NVM8X2Y/ref=sr_1_8?crid=349FK1Y4D9FGB&keywords=compostable+straws&qid=1648130442&s=home-garden&sprefix=compostable+straws%2Cgarden%2C112&sr=1-8

I love my straws and usually use a straw for whatever I am drinking.  That being said, I wanted to do my part so I bought a set of the SS straws with silicone tips.  Half are bent and the other half isn't. I also have larger "milkshake" straws I bought that are silicone. Those are for my frozen drinks.  Plus the silicone ones fit in my Red Frog tervis cup.  Using that cup, I get the entire blender full of my drink which is about 3-4 oz more than the cups.