Non-Beach Club Question:) Where to shop and eat in town

rdhed

Stopping in Cozumel and will dock at international pier with RCI and have a few questions

1) Any suggestions on where to go shopping (not in the ports) in San Miguel, I think my DH is envisioning the markets he visited as a kid and could haggle at

2) Best places to eat that have authentic Mexican food but also have good tacos- My 11yr old is counting the days until he can have tacos in Mexico.

3) What is the best place to ask the taxi to drop us off?  I have found this answer before but can't seem to find again.

4) Anything in particular we should check out in that area?

Thanks!

The Plaza is a starting place to shop in San Miguel.  But the entire El Centro Area from Calle 11 S to Calle 8 N and Melgar (ocean road) to Avenida 30 has a wide range of shopping.  Better prices the further away rom the Plaza.  And yes you can haggle a bit with all the shops and kiosks around.  Just tell the taxi driver you want to go to the Plaza.

Best Tacos, IMO are at the Blue Truck near the International Pier.  But in town,  Los Tacotales (formerly Los Oates) on Avenida 15 is great. Casa Denis  is the oldest restaurant with Yucatan type cuisine. Casa Mission has good food and outside seating.  Plaza Leza is another. There's a great selection at the market place, El Mercado.   But for a unique local expereince, you should check out one of the loncherias or Comidas Economias. like Tonitas on Rosado Salas between Avenida 10 and 15.  

• Like 2

Good suggestions from @crewsweeper for places in town. I would add Gastropark140 if you really want the chance to sample multiple ethnic dishes in one location, (these will not be tex mex), although it does depend on which stalls are open at any given time. 

Many shops have moved from downtown locations to Royal Village and the craft market opposite Puerta Maya. I haven’t been to there but you could probably haggle there and go to the Blue Truck without going into town? (Possibly add on planetarium in that area if you son is interested and it has reopened?)

If you do go into town, maybe add on brief stop at La Monina for Happy Hour 12-5pm to let your son snorkel or  No Name Bar where he can use the pool while you have a drink, tourist prices.

Edited by c-leg5

• 4 weeks later...

Casa Denis is our favorite place for lunch!  We eat at the outside dining area.  The food is plentiful and amazing, and strolling musicians always come by while we're eating.  The drinks are good too!