Warwick news/rumor

Winchester

Commodore Ron Warwick either quit or was removed as captain of QM2..... retired..... fired him.

Going back to the original post - it looks like 3 out of 4 of the original rumours were false (quit, retired, fired) while the fourth - 'removed' may have some foundation - he may be onboard, but not in command and we don't know what the original command plans were for his last few voyages in the first place.

Perhaps we can calm down now?

Peter

There's a CD-Rom that I bought on MAASDAM a few weeks ago called Cruise Ship Captain.

The tight spot is very apparent on the screen and yes, it was much easier to maneuver the ``ship'' with azipods than props and thrusters.

Even if the pilot was aboard, it's still the master's responsibility to agree to the commands he's issuing. The master knows his ship better than the pilot.

.Most senior officers are now Princess people, and those Cunard officers left have nothing but contempt for most of them and their abilities, so I hear. In this particular case, perhaps a shipping company has turned out to be the worse thing for Cunard.

I'm sorry - this post was a few days ago, but comments like this (assuming they are accuratelty repeated) drive me crazy! I have sailed with three different Princess captains (all British - well, except for Chris Rynd who is a Kiwi!). They are all extremely competent. For the most part, their careers with P&O/Princess began as deck cadets and they worked their way up. I know Ian McNaught is a popular Cunard Captain. But as a point of fact, he came to the QE2 relatively later in his career after sailing tankers and cargo ships. He didn't come up through the ranks at Cunard! This doesn't make him any less a mariner - just a point of fact that he wasn't born with Cunard blood running through his veins. Bernie Warner and Chris Rynd began their careers in the early 70s with P&O. Their careers have been on British-flagged passenger ships of all sizes and types. I don't know why that would make them have questionable "abilities." Any of their crews with less experience than they could learn a thing or two from them, I'm sure. Maybe that's the problem...

Any of their crews with less experience than they could learn a thing or two from them, I'm sure. Maybe that's the problem...

Well said! I got the distinct impression that Captain Rynd runs a tight ship on my QE2 crossing....some of the posters on this board are in serious denial when they confuse a successful growing line with a small declining one.....

Peter

some of the posters on this board are in serious denial when they confuse a successful growing line with a small declining one.....

Peter

I suppose Cunard is growing, but not to the level of every other major Carnival brand. It's quite possible that QE2 will be retired shortly after QV's debut (regardless of what Cunard's PR Dept states), which would pretty much mean a wash in capacity. To my knowledge, no other new ships have been considered or ordered for Cunard beside QV. Meanwhile, most other Carnival Corp. brands have multiple new ships on order and have been building capacity for many years now. All the while Cunard remained a two-ship fleet with QE2 and CARONIA. Of course we all know how the original QV was reallocated to P&O as ARCADIA, as it was obviously determined that P&O could make more money with the new ship.

I'm also not certain Cunard is a roaring success. Sure Carnival/Princess will have you believe that, but frankly if Cunard were half as successful as Holland America, Princess, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa, P&O, AIDA, etc., we would see much more tonnage being built or acquired for the line. The fact that Princess is now taking on another R-Class ship (MINERVA II) really tells me that Cunard is not ready to rapidly expand. These ex R-Class ships would fit nicely into Cunard as luxury "explorer" ships, yet Carnival Corp. will not have it. They certainly know more than we do in regards to Cunard's performance (Carnival Corp. does not break out financial results for the various brands), and it must be telling them that Cunard is not ready for any type of major expansion. Cunard remains a "niche" line with relatively small appeal, such as Windstar and Seabourn.

I think there is more to Cunard's "success" then meets the eye.

Ernie - a fan of Cunard but also a realist.

Queen Victoria - Maiden year? Maybe not. No deal for giving them $300 in 04 to be on early booking list !!

I remember when you paid that deposit, are you saying you aren't booked on the maiden voyage? How can that be?

I know the pod incident cost Cunard millions of dollars and a lot of bad PR, but what a shame that it is tarnishing his long career. Anyone know if the harbor pilot insurance would cover any of this loss? Seems as though they should be responsible.

I suppose Cunard is growing, but not to the level of every other major Carnival brand. It's quite possible that QE2 will be retired shortly after QV's debut (regardless of what Cunard's PR Dept states), which would pretty much mean a wash in capacity. To my knowledge, no other new ships have been considered or ordered for Cunard beside QV. Meanwhile, most other Carnival Corp. brands have multiple new ships on order and have been building capacity for many years now. All the while Cunard remained a two-ship fleet with QE2 and CARONIA. Of course we all know how the original QV was reallocated to P&O as ARCADIA, as it was obviously determined that P&O could make more money with the new ship.

I'm also not certain Cunard is a roaring success. Sure Carnival/Princess will have you believe that, but frankly if Cunard were half as successful as Holland America, Princess, Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa, P&O, AIDA, etc., we would see much more tonnage being built or acquired for the line. The fact that Princess is now taking on another R-Class ship (MINERVA II) really tells me that Cunard is not ready to rapidly expand. These ex R-Class ships would fit nicely into Cunard as luxury "explorer" ships, yet Carnival Corp. will not have it. They certainly know more than we do in regards to Cunard's performance (Carnival Corp. does not break out financial results for the various brands), and it must be telling them that Cunard is not ready for any type of major expansion. Cunard remains a "niche" line with relatively small appeal, such as Windstar and Seabourn.

I think there is more to Cunard's "success" then meets the eye.

Ernie - a fan of Cunard but also a realist.

And a realist you are, Ernie.

I sincerely doubt that any of the revenue goals , with exception of the worlds in 2007, are making projections. I've told our RSM time and time again, if you want to sell .. sell.. sell.. they need the initial price points to be lower. Newbies are turned off by the higher per diems.. and past pax know the rates won't fly and wait for the promotional fares.

$899 transats for up to B1 balcony?????? Come on... I remember $999 (300 return air included though) for M5 upper and lowers on the QE2! And it wasn't that long ago, either.

Then I get the.. well... look at the rates RCL charges. And I say.. well... RCL has done their job with advertising. They have managed to cut through advertising immunituy and CREATE DESIRE for their product. It's the strongest emotion. DESIRE. And it sells. If folks want it bad enough, they pay.

Cunard is a niche product, and I said at the get-go QM2 will have too many berths to fill for a niche product.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure how to make our Cunard quota for 2006. Yikes!

And Cunard will not retain her cachet as a luxury line if her service starts/continues to slip, depending on whether you feel she is already in that slippery slope.

What does Cunard have to offer above and beyond Holland America, RCCL, NCL or Celebrity that would make folks want to pay the higher price?

1 The ships are ocean liners, with sleek classic looks and hardiness for the northern Atlantic crossing.

2 The ships offer upscale service, food, and passenger experience- That could be argued by many on each count.

3 ?- Anyone else, feel free to jump in here.

Why would you pay more to, for instance, go on the same 7 day Caribbesn Cruise to the same ports as someone in a Celebrity ship?

Karie

I suppose Cunard is growing, but not to the level of every other major Carnival brand. Ernie - a fan of Cunard but also a realist.

Ernie,

That was really my point - P&O/Princess are adding new ships yearly....in a couple of years Cunard will have two ships - in an expanding market, standing still is in effect decline.......

Peter

Just how many people are interested in just going from New York to London and reverse when there are so many more interesting cruise itineraries that are available with the other cruise lines.

After a while there has to be a point of a smaller and smaller pool of people willing to sail that single route.

Other than an ego trip what does it really have to offer?

What does a transatlantic journey have to offer…lets see.

1. COMPLETE and TOTAL relaxation

2. NO Schedules; no running back to the ship so you are not left behind

3. NO Phones, e-mail, computers (unless you want it!)

4. Great food

5. Good entertainment

6. Fascinating fellow passengers who are world travelers as well as hail from places other than USA

7. Crews that remember your name from the previous years journeys

8. Chances to learn something new at the lecture series

9. Chance to reconnect with your family (see #2 and #3)

The most important reason to take a transatlantic journey

10. BECAUSE YOU CAN

Ernie,

That was really my point - P&O/Princess are adding new ships yearly....in a couple of years Cunard will have two ships - in an expanding market, standing still is in effect decline.......

Peter

Thanks Peter. When I read your statement I actually took it to mean just the opposite of what you really meant.

I absolutely agree that standing still in the cruise industry today is indeed declining. This is exactly the position where Cunard finds itself.

Ernie

Malinda1229 I agree with some of your reasoning. We also love to take long repositioning cruises for the long string of sea days.

But we take a different itinerary each year to see other parts of the world that we have not seen yet. Not just repeat the same cruise multiple times.

To us the best part of a sea day(s) is just sitting on our balcony and watching and listening to the waves going by and relaxing.

What does a transatlantic journey have to offer…lets see.

1. COMPLETE and TOTAL relaxation

2. NO Schedules; no running back to the ship so you are not left behind

3. NO Phones, e-mail, computers (unless you want it!)

4. Great food

5. Good entertainment

6. Fascinating fellow passengers who are world travelers as well as hail from places other than USA

7. Crews that remember your name from the previous years journeys

8. Chances to learn something new at the lecture series

9. Chance to reconnect with your family (see #2 and #3)

The most important reason to take a transatlantic journey

10. BECAUSE YOU CAN

Great points, but of course most of us here on the Cunard board already "get it". We know what makes a Cunard crossing special, and tend to come back for more. Unfortunately we are a very small minority in the cruising world, and most people will not spend their hard earned vacation time and dollars to spend five days at sea. This is one reason Cunard will always have limited appeal unless they change their formula (I hope they don't). Another reason is the formality of the line (real or perceived). Most of us love the formal aspect of Cunard. Again, we are a different breed and the minority. The vast majority of cruisers want a casual atmosphere and the thought of dressing up every night is a real turn-off.

Personally, I'm quite content for Cunard to remain a small, niche cruise line operating under the formula it does today. I'm just not sure that Carnival Corp. feels the same way.

Ernie

Then I get the.. well... look at the rates RCL charges. And I say.. well... RCL has done their job with advertising. They have managed to cut through advertising immunituy and CREATE DESIRE for their product. It's the strongest emotion. DESIRE. And it sells. If folks want it bad enough, they pay.

Absolutely! In fact I just priced a cruise in late June on FREEDOM OF THE SEAS (not even the inaugural). Get this, the lowest fare is $1689 per person for an inside cabin on a typical 7-day milk run to the Caribbean. That is $241 per day for the lowest priced accommodations on the entire ship. I can assure you it will go out full, with little to no discounting. Talk about creating demand!

Meanwhile, even the older Voyager Class ships demand very high per diems when compared to the competition.

Ernie

Absolutely! In fact I just priced a cruise in late June on FREEDOM OF THE SEAS (not even the inaugural). Get this, the lowest fare is $1689 per person for an inside cabin on a typical 7-day milk run to the Caribbean. That is $241 per day for the lowest priced accommodations on the entire ship. I can assure you it will go out full, with little to no discounting. Talk about creating demand!

Meanwhile, even the older Voyager Class ships demand very high per diems when compared to the competition.

Ernie

I love transats.. always have and always will.

Constellation, I'm sure you've seen the Interline rates.. well the everybody Concierge Class rates for tomorrows Happy Hour.. $850pp plus tax..... for 8 night transat. HOLY SMOKE.... Cheaper and two days longer than the QM2 6 nighter on 4/29.

Most of my niche clients.......prefer small ships...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But we take a different itinerary each year to see other parts of the world that we have not seen yet.

If you cruise for the sea days... Does the sea really look all that different in each part of the world ;) ?

Well, actually, I guess it does, but give me a nice grey, stormy North Atlantic any day :) ...

To evaluate a liner crossing as though it were a "cruise" is, quite frankly, missing the point - it is an entirely different experience.

Cunard will always have limited appeal unless they change their formula (I hope they don't).

Well, their formula is not, and hasn't been for a long time, to just offer crossings - indeed, QE2 is almost entirely devoted to cruises these days (sadly) as will QV, and QM2 does a significant number of cruises as well.

I would not mind seeing them "change their formula" by taking on a few R ships ;) ...

And that's not to mention the rest of the fleet, the SOVEREIGNs, VISIONs etc. which still demand much higher fares than comparable ships from other lines.

Clearly the VOYAGER-class ships, combined with Royal Caribbean's clever marketing, have had a big "halo effect" on the entire line, even the older ships that have little in common at all with the much-vaunted VOYAGERs.

Cheaper and two days longer than the QM2 6 nighter on 4/29.

But of course, like all "positioning cruises", they don't have the attention of most fans of Atlantic crossings.

Me, the non-Cunard crossing I'd really like to try is sometime in autumn (November, I think) on one of the Oceania ships (INSIGNIA?) from Lisbon to Rio... 14 days or thereabouts. I think last I checked it was under $1200pp for the cheapest cabin.

That is something I really would do if I had the time.

Most of my niche clients.......prefer small ships...

You do bring up an interesting point, Cunard must be about the only niche large-ship operator :) !

I'm really looking forward to my first QM2 cruise in Dec. But I'm also concerned about so much negativity that has been voiced here recently.For us and our friends traveling with us, this is a very special trip for a very special reason. And while I know that everyone's expectations and tolerance levels are different I confess to some concerns lately from many of the postings I've read. I don't believe that this is the QM2 " the Wonder Ship," but I still believe that she is the most incredible ship in the world and I plan to enjoy every precious moment we will have on her. And I hope the same for all of you who plan to travel with her.

Cheers, Penny ( who really isn't a Pollyanna but truly wishes the worldwas a little more gentle and kind. Sorry Karie, the devil made me steal your "tag lines" this one time!)

The staff on board were cheerful and very helpful. Meals were served efficiently and we really enjoyed them. You have the right attitude and will truly have a wonderful time on the QM2. Edwin

Great points, but of course most of us here on the Cunard board already "get it". We know what makes a Cunard crossing special, and tend to come back for more. Unfortunately we are a very small minority in the cruising world, and most people will not spend their hard earned vacation time and dollars to spend five days at sea. This is one reason Cunard will always have limited appeal unless they change their formula (I hope they don't). Another reason is the formality of the line (real or perceived). Most of us love the formal aspect of Cunard. Again, we are a different breed and the minority. The vast majority of cruisers want a casual atmosphere and the thought of dressing up every night is a real turn-off.

Personally, I'm quite content for Cunard to remain a small, niche cruise line operating under the formula it does today. I'm just not sure that Carnival Corp. feels the same way.

Ernie

I agree absolutely. I have sailed just under a dozen times, but have never sailed on any cruise line other than Cunard. If Cunard didn't exist, I would not be sailing. It is the Cunard type brand that I like. Perhaps I'm influenced by a "nostalgia" for those days that only my parents and grandparents knew, but I have enjoyed hearing about; or my fascinatinon, as a teen, with Fred Astaire films and Agatha Christie novels.

Or simply, QE2 felt "normal" to me, after years of living in a superficial, harsh world. The first time I boarded QE2, I felt as though I had found "home" again.

That is why I'm so afraid the Cunard we know and love will disappear.

Archived