Help understanding bed arrangements for X number of people

My wife and I used to cruise by ourselves, and it was pretty easy to pick a cabin.  Now that we are sailing with children, everything is more complex.  😅  I'm looking at the deck plans for Anthem, and I see the following in the legend:

• Stateroom occupancy up to 3 available
  • Stateroom occupancy up to 4 available
  • Stateroom occupancy 5 and up

Some of the JS rooms are only four people, but some are five.  Am I correct in assuming the ones that sleep four only have a pullout sofa while the ones that sleep five have a pullman in addition to the sofa?

Not specific to JS, but for rooms that only sleep three, does that mean a pullman but no pullout sofa?  I guess I thought the sofa pulled out in each room, but maybe I just don't remember.  Did Royal actually install couches in certain rooms that do not pull out while others do?  I'm just trying to envision how all this pieces together, largely because even if Royal says a room "sleeps 4" (or whatever), I might actually want a different arrangement than whatever Royal thinks will work for my kids. 

We always do 3 to a room and have always had a pullout couch.  Always.  If I I had 5 I’d do 2 connecting rooms.  3 feels cozy.  Can’t imagine 5.  2 connecting also gives two bathrooms for getting ready.  The pullmans can also feel high for some kids.

There are couches that do not make beds.  We had one last week on Indy.  My daughter was sleeping in the pullman and her friend traveling with us but in her parents room wanted to have a "cabin sleepover" she slept on the couch with a blanket and sheet provided by our nice steward but it was definitely a 3 person cabin not 4.  I feel like I have seen a legend on a 3rd party site that lists exactly how the rooms are configured * for pullman ^ for sleeper sofa etc. but can't remember where I saw it.  You can probably google the rooms you are considering and find a youtube video tour.  

We definitely have been in cabins that have couch that does not pull out into sofa bed.  Aside from bed arrangements, remember to price two cabins as well as triple/quad cabins.  If kids are young, you might only be comfortable if cabins connect.  If kids are older, you might be comfortable if they are right next door or directly  across the hall (you can reserve those area by telephone)

There are some more spacious cabins on some ships that accommodate larger families with less crowding.  You can find videos on line to show the specific cabin arrangements so you can see if they would suit your brood.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1