Countess

patca

On the Countess now and a friend traveling with me is in a back cabin over the paddlewheel. She says it's not bad- inside the cabin she can slightly hear it but she says its not bothersome. If you want to sit outside on your balcony,  you will hear it, of course.  It's kinda relaxing watching that wheel turn!

On 3/31/2022 at 4:54 AM, mabunc said:

On the Countess now and a friend traveling with me is in a back cabin over the paddlewheel. She says it's not bad- inside the cabin she can slightly hear it but she says its not bothersome. If you want to sit outside on your balcony,  you will hear it, of course.  It's kinda relaxing watching that wheel turn!

Thank you.  We booked 368 on the corner.  This is reassuring. 

On 4/3/2022 at 6:21 AM, wandb said:

When will you be on the Countess?  We are on the June 6 Ohio River cruise from Pittsburgh to Louisville. 

We are on the May 23rd cruise from Nashville to Louisville

We are on the Countess from Cincinnati to Memphis May 10.

To those sailing from Pittsburgh, when you are in Wheeling, I highly recommend getting a fish sandwich from Coleman's Fish Market at the Centre Wheeling Market.  We lived on the Ohio side of the river, across from Wheeling, back in the 70's-80's, and I still miss those sandwiches.  It doesn't sound too special, just an oversized fried fillet of whitefish between 2 pieces of Wonderbread, but unless they've changed something, they are a real treat!

Kathy

6 hours ago, CruisinCadie said:

We are on the Countess from Cincinnati to Memphis May 10.

To those sailing from Pittsburgh, when you are in Wheeling, I highly recommend getting a fish sandwich from Coleman's Fish Market at the Centre Wheeling Market.  We lived on the Ohio side of the river, across from Wheeling, back in the 70's-80's, and I still miss those sandwiches.  It doesn't sound too special, just an oversized fried fillet of whitefish between 2 pieces of Wonderbread, but unless they've changed something, they are a real treat!

Kathy

We will have to check that out in June!

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Countess May 30-June 7 sailing from Louisville to Pittsburgh....then doing a Post cruise Premium excursions City Tour with transfer to the AQV preferred hotel.  I think this may be the

Embassy.  

We have been on the Empress pre-Covid and enjoyed the Columbia and Snake River cruise.

Looking forward to meeting you all and experiencing new rivers.

jane/ken

We will have to wave as you go by the line of us waiting to get ON the Countess!!

Wish we were all going the same week. We have had absolutely NO response to our Roll Call yet. 

Do you have a stop in Cincinnati?  I have a couple of questions about the HOHO tour there, but AQV is not allowed to answer. I completely understand their reasons, but hope to find someone who can fill me in on a couple of "timing" questions. 

i know you have a stop in Maysville. The one disappointment of our going the other direction is missing Maysville. We have good friends who travel a lot, and they have told us that that is one of the most charming places they have ever visited. 

i know you will love your cruise!

We do have a stop in Cincinnati.....  Hope we get to stop at all of the scheduled places.  And, plan to try the fish sandwich in Wheeling.  We are in Room 212-----on Countess.

jane/ken from Oklahoma

11 hours ago, njhoo said:

You will probably have issues streaming 

We had lots of connectivity problems on the lower Mississippi as well. What I said in my review: “the WiFi was nearly unusable. Some apps just plain were incompatible and speeds were dismal. Also, there are many rural areas with minimal cell signal too.”

So, go on the trip, it was overall quite fun for us. 4 “bubbles” in our review. But be ready for spotty connections. 

Just got off the Countess last Monday.  I had trouble connecting to the internet at first but then a fellow passenger said you get the best signal in the front corners of the boat, like the Library and Game Room.  After I connected there, I was able to get internet in my room.  As others have said, service was slow at times, but I was able to check my email daily so I didn't have a ton of messages when we got home.

If anyone has any other questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

The room was larger than I expected and the bathroom was huge.  The bed was comfortable.

Crew was wonderful, always cheerful and eager to help.  

Kathy

Thanks!  We are on our way home from a scheduled meeting in an old historic hotel (great!) and old friends will be waiting for us when we get home.  After their visit I'll have about one week to pack and get ready for the cruise!!  Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...