Aft Balconies: tips? suggestions? atmosphere?

atexsix

So we'll be in an aft balcony for the first time on our upcoming cruise.  I know nothing about this location other than the obvious, it's awfully far from the food! 

It reminds me of Wrigley Field growing up.  There were the bleachers, and everywhere else.  People that sat in the bleachers were brave, it was open to the elements, and it attracted a rougher crowd.  This feels similar to me, there's the aft balconies, and then everywhere else since I don't hear much about other locations except for the controversies associated with the below the walk sections on these Princess ships.  

Please share what you liked, disliked, tips, tricks, pros, cons, suggestions, or anything else.  To keep this thread relevant to the HAL forum, I'll also throw in the question of what's different about their balconies compared to Princess: furniture, doors, drapes, etc.?

Not awfully far from food, as aft elevators go down to MDR and up to Lido, so not sure to what you are referring.  I like being toward aft for that exact reason.  I know if I want to go to Crows Nest that I will get my steps and then some!

• Like 4

Why are aft verandah staterooms more expensive than other veranda-category locations?  Why do the aft Neptune Suite staterooms sellout so quickly? 

As a photographer, aft staterooms are a must because I can see and photograph what's on both sides of the ship with nothing between me and the ship railing.  For the Panama Canal and Glacier Bay Alaska, this is a huge plus.  One of the first things in my day is to step onto my balcony and scan the scenery while still in my pajamas.  Add a robe and slippers for early-season Alaska.

With no wind, you can enjoy your balcony even while the ship is moving.  Morning coffee, breakfast, afternoon snacks, and even dinner while the ship is moving at 18 knots is possible.  Room Service is just a short elevator ride up to your stateroom which means food will be hot.  Ponder how long it takes to wheel a Room Service cart to staterooms much farther forward. 

The soothing sound of the wake provides a great night's sleep.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There is the constant roar and/or soothing sound of the wake. Results may vary, but it is always there until you are in port. Additionally, there can be more extreme impacts from the temporary "cavitation" of  bubbles under the duckbill aft design on some of the newer ships.

But the at least 180 degree private view is the deep bonus. Corner-afts are even more stunning in their sweeping views. Good point about less wind. But the views, the views, the views - that is why they are so premium. Even when it is the open sea - one feels the vastness of the sea so much more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:19 AM, cruzn single said:

Not awfully far from food, as aft elevators go down to MDR and up to Lido, so not sure to what you are referring.  I like being toward aft for that exact reason.  I know if I want to go to Crows Nest that I will get my steps and then some!

My fault, I was thinking about rooms in the bow.  Your right, we'll be very close to dining venues.

did aft balconies twice, both in the Caribbean. Loved the wake, The View And the location. Our big complaint was that we cruised in the summer so it was rather warm and very humid. The Ship blocked Any wind which meant the balcony was rather uncomfortable. We will probably do wanna have to go to a cooler less humid destination but the Caribbean was just too uncomfortable for us.

• Like 1

Forever hooked on Aft balconies, we really enjoy the Corner Wrap around balcony neptune suites but have also been pleased with the aft Vista Suites. The views are really nice and the plus side for me, the cabins are easy to find when touring around the ship..🤣

Cheers,

Rockit