What are the must have foods to eat in Seattle?

Sandyrella

We are only there for one full day and another half day on our return so we don't plan to waste time eating a long meal in a restaurant.  

What are your go to favourites in this city, keeping it to the downtown core as we won't have a car.

I'm told that the best chowder is Pikes Place Chowder.

We also recently saw an episode of Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives where Sisters and Brothers had an amazing fried chicken.  

What else should we add to our list?

I don't know if Pike Place Chowder has the best clam chowder or not, but it is pretty good and Pike has other places to nosh, but it isn't that any individual place is great, it is that there is so much variety.

I love DDD, but they don't usually uncover the best places in a city, but beloved local "dives" and ordinary places.

Sister's and Brother's is famous for their Nashville Hot Chicken. Yes, you can get it "naked" (no sauce), but then it is just fried chicken. It is the spiciness of the Nashville Hot that makes them special.

Other spots of note in PPM are Seattle Dumpling Co., Mr. D's Greek, Wild Fish Poke, Michou Deli, Le Panier (kouign aman& baguette) and Piroshky Piroshky.

10 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I don't know if Pike Place Chowder has the best clam chowder or not, but it is pretty good and Pike has other places to nosh, but it isn't that any individual place is great, it is that there is so much variety.

I love DDD, but they don't usually uncover the best places in a city, but beloved local "dives" and ordinary places.

Sister's and Brother's is famous for their Nashville Hot Chicken. Yes, you can get it "naked" (no sauce), but then it is just fried chicken. It is the spiciness of the Nashville Hot that makes them special.

Other spots of note in PPM are Seattle Dumpling Co., Mr. D's Greek, Wild Fish Poke, Michou Deli, Le Panier (kouign aman& baguette) and Piroshky Piroshky.

Thank-you for this!  It's exactly what we are looking for.  I'll be looking for all of these places on our visit.  

I agree with your take on DDD but that's also what makes it so great.  It's usually places that locals know and love but most would probably just on walk by.  I don't think I need more fried chicken in my life but if hubby has his way....I'll just have to add a lot of extra steps to my Fitbit 😀

Pike Place Chowder is good. We enjoy the Clam Chowder at Buckley’s in Belltown a bit more though. It’s a bit of a hoof at 10 minutes from the market. In addition to scott’s list of Michou & Pirosky is Beechers Cheese, in the same general area at the market. They make wonderful on-the-go sandwiches with their famous cheese.

The problem won’t be getting a quick grab and go meal after you’re inside, it will be waiting in line. Each of these places can have a dozen or more in line shortly after they and the market opens during the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xlxo said:

On a sidenote, any recommendations where best to try those Geoducks?  I hear they are harvested in the local waters.

At Pike Place try Emmett Watson or the Athenian, and outside the market at Taylor's Shellfish.

PS Why couldn't the oyster keep a girlfriend? Because he was Shellfish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm going to recommend some places with good food but excellent experiences.  IMO most of Seattle's "best" restaurants (whatever that means) aren't in the downtown core (but could certainly be reached via Uber) but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy some unique-ish times.  So some ideas for inexpensive but fun places/meals:

Lowell's.  This diner in the main arcade of the Pike Place market (note, no "s" in Pike) is a terrific spot for breakfast, particularly if you've just arrived from the east and are up and about a couple of hours earlier than most, due to the time change and as-yet confused body clocks.  Come early for breakfast (they open at 8 AM) and get a table with a view of the harbor.  Walk the carbs off through the market as the merchants set up for the day, and be gone by 10:30 or 11, after which the crowds become oppressive.  Lowell's Restaurant Seattle | Almost Classy Since 1957 (eatatlowells.com)

Marination Ma Kai.  As you sit at Lowell's you're looking across Elliott Bay at the West Seattle peninsula.  There's a water taxi (so called, really just a passenger ferry) that runs from the downtown ferry dock across to Seacrest Park in West Seattle.  Right on the dock is a Hawaiian/Korean fusion cafe, Marination Ma Kai, which has a fabulous patio where you can get terrific mai tais and eat marvelous cheap "street food" like Kalbi sliders, Loco Moco, Spam musubi and other Hawaiian dishes, as well as great fish tacos, etc.  The view - back across the bay to the downtown skyline - is the best in town, and again, if you want to walk off the carbs (or booze) there's a level pathway where you can walk, or rent bikes from a rental stand next door to the cafe, or even kayak, that runs around Duwamish Head to Alki Beach, where you can view passing ferries, the Olympic mountains, and see our own wee Statue of Liberty.  Walking map - https://goo.gl/maps/46dCZzy2GQgPSNrf9

Uwajimaya.  You'll note on the map that the start/end point is Uwajimaya.  This is an iconic pan-Asian (but heavily Japanese) superstore located in the International District, a couple of easy blocks from the International District/Chinatown light rail station, and also a couple of blocks from the waterfront.  Inside Uwajimaya you'll find a huge collection of Asian (and western) foods, including the best fish market in the downtown area, a terrific deli for take-away meals or snacks, and a food court featuring stalls offering Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Hawaiian and other cuisines.  There's also a branch of Kinokuniya, Japan's biggest bookstore chain, a great selection of housewares, and all sorts of cool things, (including some weird Japanese snacks to take on the cruise.)  Like Marination Ma Kai, Uwajimaya serves as a delicious reminder that you're on the Pacific Rim.  Highly recommended, one of my "don't miss" destinations for visitors.  

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Pike Place Chowder is good. We enjoy the Clam Chowder at Buckley’s in Belltown a bit more though. It’s a bit of a hoof at 10 minutes from the market. In addition to scott’s list of Michou & Pirosky is Beechers Cheese, in the same general area at the market. They make wonderful on-the-go sandwiches with their famous cheese.

The problem won’t be getting a quick grab and go meal after you’re inside, it will be waiting in line. Each of these places can have a dozen or more in line shortly after they and the market opens during the summer.

I think we saw the cheese place in one of the Youtube videos.  It looked like they made some pretty fancy grilled cheese sandwiches.  We also noticed the lines for food.   I think we may be winging it based on the wait times.  Thanks for the tip on Buckley's.  We are big walkers so 10 minutes is nothing.  I will definitely keep it in mind.

1 hour ago, Gardyloo said:

I'm going to recommend some places with good food but excellent experiences.  IMO most of Seattle's "best" restaurants (whatever that means) aren't in the downtown core (but could certainly be reached via Uber) but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy some unique-ish times.  So some ideas for inexpensive but fun places/meals:

Lowell's.  This diner in the main arcade of the Pike Place market (note, no "s" in Pike) is a terrific spot for breakfast, particularly if you've just arrived from the east and are up and about a couple of hours earlier than most, due to the time change and as-yet confused body clocks.  Come early for breakfast (they open at 8 AM) and get a table with a view of the harbor.  Walk the carbs off through the market as the merchants set up for the day, and be gone by 10:30 or 11, after which the crowds become oppressive.  Lowell's Restaurant Seattle | Almost Classy Since 1957 (eatatlowells.com)

Marination Ma Kai.  As you sit at Lowell's you're looking across Elliott Bay at the West Seattle peninsula.  There's a water taxi (so called, really just a passenger ferry) that runs from the downtown ferry dock across to Seacrest Park in West Seattle.  Right on the dock is a Hawaiian/Korean fusion cafe, Marination Ma Kai, which has a fabulous patio where you can get terrific mai tais and eat marvelous cheap "street food" like Kalbi sliders, Loco Moco, Spam musubi and other Hawaiian dishes, as well as great fish tacos, etc.  The view - back across the bay to the downtown skyline - is the best in town, and again, if you want to walk off the carbs (or booze) there's a level pathway where you can walk, or rent bikes from a rental stand next door to the cafe, or even kayak, that runs around Duwamish Head to Alki Beach, where you can view passing ferries, the Olympic mountains, and see our own wee Statue of Liberty.  Walking map - https://goo.gl/maps/46dCZzy2GQgPSNrf9

Uwajimaya.  You'll note on the map that the start/end point is Uwajimaya.  This is an iconic pan-Asian (but heavily Japanese) superstore located in the International District, a couple of easy blocks from the International District/Chinatown light rail station, and also a couple of blocks from the waterfront.  Inside Uwajimaya you'll find a huge collection of Asian (and western) foods, including the best fish market in the downtown area, a terrific deli for take-away meals or snacks, and a food court featuring stalls offering Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Hawaiian and other cuisines.  There's also a branch of Kinokuniya, Japan's biggest bookstore chain, a great selection of housewares, and all sorts of cool things, (including some weird Japanese snacks to take on the cruise.)  Like Marination Ma Kai, Uwajimaya serves as a delicious reminder that you're on the Pacific Rim.  Highly recommended, one of my "don't miss" destinations for visitors.  

Thank-you so much for the very detailed suggestions.  I love the idea of the Marination Ma Kai, if anything for the views.  We come from a city where summer is referred to as patio season so sitting outside on a dock enjoying a mai tai and some snacks sounds wonderful   Our patios don't have amazing views like that!

My favorites:

1) Din Tai Fung/Dough Zone - I like both - they are excellent choices for dumplings and noodles. Din Tai Fung is a global chain where Dough Zone is more local, but you can't go wrong with either. These two places are where I'd miss if we left Seattle.

2) Sushi -Momji Sushi in Capitol Hill is PHENOMENAL. There are a lot of good sushi places, but this is a standout for me.

3) Salt and Straw- technically a Portland import and growing nationally, but the best ice cream in the country, hands down.

4) Canon - expensive, but their craft cocktails are theatre in itself. On the drink menu, the icon next to the drink description is what it will be served in. Some examples - a glass apple, a metal canon, an IV bag, a Nintendo Cartridge....and more!

5) Rhein Haus is a cozy traditional beer hall with great appetizers.

6) Butcher's Table - is our favorite steak place in the city. I love the ambiance and their steak flights are worth it.

7) Bateau - They were just featured in the NY Times - they pride themselves on using all cuts of meat of the cow - so you'll get cuts that you won't see on most menus. The earlier you can make a reservation in the night, the better- when a cut is gone, it's gone for the evening.

8.  Starbucks Reserve Roastery  -- skip the "original" Starbucks at Pike Place and go to the Roastery and Reserve room in Capitol Hill. It's a Willy Wonka of coffee - with giant copper roasters, artesian sandwiches, craft cocktails and unique Starbucks gifts for the Starbucks obsessed. 

9. Another Starbucks trick - the Starbucks in Columbia Tower on Floor 40. It's free to go in, and you get views of the city higher than the Space Needle.

10. Craft Beer - We have some of the best craft beer in the country because most hops are grown in Yakima Valley, WA. Be sure to try Reuben's Brews, Fremont Brewing, Cloudburst and Holy Mountain.

Enjoy! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

TBH, if you want the local Seattle dining experience, that's carryout chicken teriyaki (sticky sweet sauce, served with rice and either mushy mixed veggies or salad with sesame dressing) from a hole-in-the-wall place. 

There are much fancier places, but teriyaki joints are pure Seattle. 

Assuming you're flying it, you can get a taste of Beecher's at the airport. Their mac & cheese is so dang good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, psuboater said:

My favorites:

1) Din Tai Fung/Dough Zone - I like both - they are excellent choices for dumplings and noodles. Din Tai Fung is a global chain where Dough Zone is more local, but you can't go wrong with either. These two places are where I'd miss if we left Seattle.

2) Sushi -Momji Sushi in Capitol Hill is PHENOMENAL. There are a lot of good sushi places, but this is a standout for me.

3) Salt and Straw- technically a Portland import and growing nationally, but the best ice cream in the country, hands down.

4) Canon - expensive, but their craft cocktails are theatre in itself. On the drink menu, the icon next to the drink description is what it will be served in. Some examples - a glass apple, a metal canon, an IV bag, a Nintendo Cartridge....and more!

5) Rhein Haus is a cozy traditional beer hall with great appetizers.

6) Butcher's Table - is our favorite steak place in the city. I love the ambiance and their steak flights are worth it.

7) Bateau - They were just featured in the NY Times - they pride themselves on using all cuts of meat of the cow - so you'll get cuts that you won't see on most menus. The earlier you can make a reservation in the night, the better- when a cut is gone, it's gone for the evening.

8.  Starbucks Reserve Roastery  -- skip the "original" Starbucks at Pike Place and go to the Roastery and Reserve room in Capitol Hill. It's a Willy Wonka of coffee - with giant copper roasters, artesian sandwiches, craft cocktails and unique Starbucks gifts for the Starbucks obsessed. 

9. Another Starbucks trick - the Starbucks in Columbia Tower on Floor 40. It's free to go in, and you get views of the city higher than the Space Needle.

10. Craft Beer - We have some of the best craft beer in the country because most hops are grown in Yakima Valley, WA. Be sure to try Reuben's Brews, Fremont Brewing, Cloudburst and Holy Mountain.

Enjoy! 

20 hours ago, coastcat said:

TBH, if you want the local Seattle dining experience, that's carryout chicken teriyaki (sticky sweet sauce, served with rice and either mushy mixed veggies or salad with sesame dressing) from a hole-in-the-wall place. 

There are much fancier places, but teriyaki joints are pure Seattle. 

Assuming you're flying it, you can get a taste of Beecher's at the airport. Their mac & cheese is so dang good.

A lot more great suggestions!  Thank-you so much.  I will add these to my list.  I love the idea of going to the Starbucks in Columbia Tower.   I don't even drink coffee but I may make an exception for the occasion.

Coastcat, thanks for the tip on the mac & cheese at the airport.  It's my favourite comfort food and have a hard time resisting it when I see it on a menu...and who knew that teriyaki was such a big thing in Seattle? 😊

• Like 1

Spud's or Ivar's are good local spots for fish and chips and/or chowder, too.  There's an Ivar's on the waterfront in downtown...Spud's would be slightly trickier to reach.  Also, Dick's Drive-In for cheeseburgers is quintessential Seattle!  There's one on Lower Queen Anne near the Seattle Center (Space Needle) which isn't too far from downtown.  And yes, teriyaki for sure!  Tom Douglas restaurants are a good local choice, too.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, psuboater said:

I can understand a hometown person boosting a local product, but I have to differ:  Queenie's - made in Fort Myers, FL (primarily a dismal sub-tropical traffic jam - who's primary contribution to civilization is its providing access to the islands of Sanibel and Captiva) is THE best.

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

There are several neighborhood bars/restaurants that get missed by visitors and for the most part we like that. One of our favorites near our home is Some Random Bar. Wonderful food and a bit alternative to the normal bar food.  The crab nachos are fantastic.

http://www.somerandombar.com/

Ah yes, I love Some Random Bar! I used to work in Belltown, and that was a popular HH place to go with my coworkers. Their homemade pina coladas aren't something you'd think would be good in Seattle, but they proved me wrong. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can understand a hometown person boosting a local product, but I have to differ:  Queenie's - made in Fort Myers, FL (primarily a dismal sub-tropical traffic jam - who's primary contribution to civilization is its providing access to the islands of Sanibel and Captiva) is THE best.

Well let's not get ridiculous. The best ice cream is clearly McConnell's of Santa Barbara CA. 😄😁

https://mcconnells.com/

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

There are several neighborhood bars/restaurants that get missed by visitors and for the most part we like that. One of our favorites near our home is Some Random Bar. Wonderful food and a bit alternative to the normal bar food.  The crab nachos are fantastic.

http://www.somerandombar.com/

You had me at crab nachos!!  It's only a 13 minute walk from the market and 22 minutes from our hotel.  I may have to really consider this option.  The drink "While I Was Away" also has me intrigued.  I'm a huge Empress Gin fan and a blood orange fan....just never thought of putting them together.  I would love to know what color the finished product is!

On 4/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, Gardyloo said:

I loved reading this because it was exactly my experience in 2019 when we did our Alaska cruise. We came from Central time and were at Pike Place so early it seemed like nothing was open yet. We ate at Lowell's basically as soon as they opened and were practically the only people there. It was great! Here is a great pano my wife took.

kQ7VLAtRtUvVkeAKctzuulXDIVxrJHF3z6gZTv17SLCIjGvzavEMvtyya4LW0a5E-Viuein-XsTSmxE4CXonDqFihydMFhJNk0iUjCeq_suwLJ0zhc7HTU3A3aU6Ot_t5JR5fgYg9g30NTbt05OEncxiKv3ycDwTQyODYP_XYm3Wq1FF9aGmfLwmbOLz-zk0qz62ZkqL4-LH7uNhbEPm29qgzwOx6pHVw6Z7KAQjmVUwEWMAWeJq4WlzGlGTXC-dle3pZV5HSSSb4r1lmHG-Fj4N8un2e02wPNgY2SzfyKfjtHYpMptT0xryDUJWn2TKpNM5fFjRubFyj8bodo0uQdKOE127RFyIXiC-eZvPbeGihAPYm9ZB3K4oyddY5CG4ciCP-bfvDK873izxKNRdAKKT3vda-l-cLYEFpFJR2X88ige_YiqBFB6mtMiporFGgJWWA8GIT8Ibca2hj6rEc0jUNTHgeOHqjvLyC644aOqpT9eYiAnNDfliJFd-sWpurIBpYV7dipZSH51GiBsu4f93miuG9Kwjh2ISH9pgQAN2631CChhzxoOkTDQFjx5hoYQCNDNrxWTsF88aCgcBw8CerwPizLMxosTzzP3irDXRvqq30cymxUX4z4Xaz9Zf75pe4ZBqsh43EfgPOjXXJ7gnDZbSyIPmE-i-GkY-wTHH719ZvIaZBRHC0QiN6a6RXqTW3YmJhBc12JvJj9KrUD-eBis8pPEAFdDp8R2AYW6JQStfansHmKgTK4ZOncZsOmFJu5I4mo-5SBZ-2enm7mHHU6vNtYY1zFc=w2200-h712-no?authuser=0