Any "Yanks" been on P&O out of Southampton? How different was the Brit centric trip vs what I might be used to?

fsufancc

On 4/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, Harry Peterson said:

"I’d add ‘different than’ instead of ‘different from’ to the list, along with a particular real hate -  ‘haitch’ instead of  ‘aitch’. Where did THAT come from?"

My 9 year old (or is it years old - there's another debate!) grand-daughter says the letter h is pronounced "haitch" and won't have me argue with her. "It must be pronouced haitch because it makes a "her" sound," she says, "and when we answer in spelling tests at school we have to say "haitch"."

I asked her to apply the same reasoning to the letter w - does it make a "double-yoo" sound then?

She thought for a moment, decided I was being a nuisance, and simply put her buds back in her ears and carried on playing with her iPad. End of conversation.

This is the same girl who announced to all and sundry last week that when she developes breasts she wants them to be like grandma's - I quote: "Magnificent and squiggy."

I blame the parents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 1:50 AM, fsufancc said:

Just wondering.  Looking at going on a Norway Fjord trip next year.  There is not a lot of information about the nuances of a Brit centric trip. I'm just wondering what I might expect on P&O line where American cruisers might say "Well that was different" or "I never expected that." Not trying to be snarky, just wondering what I might expect.

The entertainment will have more of a British slant, the comedians, quizzes etc; there may be a flag waving sail away and in my experience of Princess vs P and O there will be a lot more drinking and staying up later - that said, never seen actual drunkeness!  The food also may be very very slightly below Princess quality in the dining rooms but I feel the speciality restaurants are better.  Brits tend to dress much more casually during the day but make more effort in the evening - just my experience!