Cruise Critic Sailing Aboard Pride of America 4/9 - Ask Us Your Questions

On 4/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, zounds said:

Thank you, Aaron for the testing/mask info.  I just got the letter from NCL saying that testing is available at the port  for a fee.  Can you confirm and what is the cost ?

I'm unable to confirm, regrettably. I'm not sure what the cost for this would be.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:55 AM, cruisewiththekids said:

Regarding taxis, do you think you have to reserve one in advance?    You mentioned you didn't see any but that they were allowed into the port.     Also, in regard to rental cars, did you notice if Anchor Cove Shopping Center is once again allowing overnight parking, and if so, what the fee is?    Thanks.

I'm not sure what Anchor Cove's policy is currently; I've heard conflicting things about it. Some say you're good to go, others say that's not the case. I didn't have time to find out personally.

• Like 1

Scenic Cruising the Na Pali Coast yesterday was beautiful, but very Alaska-esque, with frequent rain and cooler temperatures.

I will say it's worth noting that this Hawaii run can be very bumpy. If you're prone to seasickness, definitely bring along something to aid you in mitigating that: we had high winds and five to eight-foot seas for most of our journey, and last evening was no exception.

Disembarkation today in Honolulu was mired by heavy rain. The taxi-Uber conflict continues here in Honolulu: if you want a taxi, you can stand under a (somewhat) covered awning. If you want an Uber, it's a hike across the street to stand under very minimal shelter while you wait.

The taxi line ,however, had no real method to it: instead of pulling folks from the front of the line, officials seemingly randomly assigned taxi's to people all over the place, which made it difficult to know what to do. Just something to be prepared for.

PrideofAmerica-02868.jpg

PrideofAmerica-02873.jpg

PrideofAmerica-02889.jpg

PrideofAmerica-02915.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

From what I can tell, you're best to pre-schedule a taxi. They're not just waiting outside idling.

What about taxi availability in Hilo? We’re on the October 1 cruise that is overnighting in Hilo instead of going to Kona. We’re thinking about having dinner off the ship that night, but we’ll need to be able to get transportation. We’re also planning to have dinner at Duke’s in Kauai, but my understanding is that’s a fairly easy walk from the ship.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 2:34 PM, CruiseCriticAaron said:

This is very much a return-to-service cruise and they're definitely still working out the kinks, which does include some venues being short-staffed.

I haven't heard anything about crew walking off the ship in Honolulu. I'd be very cautious about spreading information that can't be confirmed.

Friends of ours on the ship were told by another crew member about crew walking off the ship.  I’m sure it was only a couple at most.  Point is, the ship was understaffed and many they had were new and somewhat inexperienced.  Things were getting  better towards the end of the cruise.

The main dining hall never had more than 20% capacity and that was only on deck 5 level.  They never even used deck 6, so basically, the main dining never saw more than 10% capacity and still had service issues.  I’m sure things will improve on upcoming cruises.

23 minutes ago, cwms said:

Friends of ours on the ship were told by another crew member about crew walking off the ship.  I’m sure it was only a couple at most.  Point is, the ship was understaffed and many they had were new and somewhat inexperienced.  Things were getting  better towards the end of the cruise.

The main dining hall never had more than 20% capacity and that was only on deck 5 level.  They never even used deck 6, so basically, the main dining never saw more than 10% capacity and still had service issues.  I’m sure things will improve on upcoming cruises.

We don't need over the top service but would enjoy what we have paid for as suite guests.  Great drinks, decent food...ice refilled regularly...
We are cheerful and hope our service people will be cheerful too!  I have "thank you" cards ready for tips..hoping our crew is awesome!

I will post as our cruise progresses because I know from experience how stressful this is for all of us!

• Like 3

Dear Aaron:

We enjoyed your commentary and photos from POA Hawaii cruise.  Now that the cruise is over and you are back home (?) a sum up of your experiences on the cruise (dining, service, entertainment, excursions and sights) would be appreciated.  We are on the May 25 cruise tour.  This is our first Norwegian cruise but we have sailed with HAL, Oceania and Viking and are not sure as to what to except. 

Thank you,

Joe lBarry

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 3:28 AM, CruiseCriticAaron said:

Disembarkation today in Honolulu was mired by heavy rain. The taxi-Uber conflict continues here in Honolulu: if you want a taxi, you can stand under a (somewhat) covered awning. If you want an Uber, it's a hike across the street to stand under very minimal shelter while you wait.

The taxi line ,however, had no real method to it: instead of pulling folks from the front of the line, officials seemingly randomly assigned taxi's to people all over the place, which made it difficult to know what to do. Just something to be prepared for.

Thanks for all the insights about the cruise! I'm curious on the debarkation process.. The NCL website shows the POA arrives in port at 7AM but also states the debarkation process usually doesn't start until two hours after arriving at port. 

Do you know what time the people that walked off the ship (skipped NCL handling their baggage) were able to disembark? I'm trying to get a Taxi to the airport ASAP in the morning prior to proceeding to Pearl Harbor. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

Thanks for all the insights about the cruise! I'm curious on the debarkation process.. The NCL website shows the POA arrives in port at 7AM but also states the debarkation process usually doesn't start until two hours after arriving at port. 

Do you know what time the people that walked off the ship (skipped NCL handling their baggage) were able to disembark? I'm trying to get a Taxi to the airport ASAP in the morning prior to proceeding to Pearl Harbor. 

Yes I am interested in this as well. We got reservations for Pearl Harbor for 10:00 am. I’m hoping we have time to drop off luggage somewhere. I also saw on the government website that they have a bag storage place at Pearl Harbor. Anyone have experience with that?

On 4/17/2022 at 5:23 AM, Cindy said:

What about taxi availability in Hilo? We’re on the October 1 cruise that is overnighting in Hilo instead of going to Kona. We’re thinking about having dinner off the ship that night, but we’ll need to be able to get transportation. We’re also planning to have dinner at Duke’s in Kauai, but my understanding is that’s a fairly easy walk from the ship.

Taxis were more readily available in Hilo

19 hours ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

Walk-off disembarkation started around 7:45-ish, and everyone was pretty well off the ship by 9am. There is luggage storage available at the Port of Honolulu for a small per-bag fee.

The taxi line is kind of crazy; I'd schedule an Uber or Lyft for a set time if you need to be somewhere in a hurry.

20 hours ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Aaron:

We enjoyed your commentary and photos from POA Hawaii cruise.  Now that the cruise is over and you are back home (?) a sum up of your experiences on the cruise (dining, service, entertainment, excursions and sights) would be appreciated.  We are on the May 25 cruise tour.  This is our first Norwegian cruise but we have sailed with HAL, Oceania and Viking and are not sure as to what to except. 

Thank you,

Joe lBarry

You're in luck! My "Just Back from - Hits and MIsses" feature on Pride of America just published on Monday.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6902&cache=reset

• Like 4

The taxi line ,however, had no real method to it: instead of pulling folks from the front of the line, officials seemingly randomly assigned taxi's to people all over the place, which made it difficult to know what to do.

Regarding this, we were standing in the taxi line as well and saw this happening and we asked why.

Turns out the folks further back in the line getting taxi's ahead of the rest of us, were passengers using ship's porters to help them with their luggage.  They got priority treatment in the taxi line.

• Like 1

Dear Aaron:

I just read your Cruise Critic "Just Back From..." article and it was very helpful and insightful.  I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the cruise and we can look forward  to a pleasant experience next month.  Thank you and Stay Safe!

Joel Barry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwms said:

The taxi line ,however, had no real method to it: instead of pulling folks from the front of the line, officials seemingly randomly assigned taxi's to people all over the place, which made it difficult to know what to do.

Regarding this, we were standing in the taxi line as well and saw this happening and we asked why.

Turns out the folks further back in the line getting taxi's ahead of the rest of us, were passengers using ship's porters to help them with their luggage.  They got priority treatment in the taxi line.

Very interesting. Makes you wonder what the point of having a queue at all is for taxis in that situation.

1 hour ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Aaron:

I just read your Cruise Critic "Just Back From..." article and it was very helpful and insightful.  I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the cruise and we can look forward  to a pleasant experience next month.  Thank you and Stay Safe!

Joel Barry

Thanks so much, Joel - glad you enjoyed it!

Aaron, very nice write up and information. Hoping by November taxis will be more p,entyful. 
for disembarkation….are the restaurants open for breakfast while waiting to get off?

what time frame from port to airport are we looking at….I may have booked  a flight to the BI later then I anticipated if I’m reading correctly everyone is off the ship by 9. 
gracelyn 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, opshannon said:

Aaron,

Quick COVID testing question: Where did you go to get tested prior to embarking and what was the turn around time on the results?

Hawaii has a website showing all the places you can go to on all the islands.  We went to a small doc in a box just a block away from our hotel on Ala Moana Blvd.  Antigen test was $89 and we had the results in 20 minutes.  POA also offers it at the dock but much higher price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, opshannon said:

Aaron,

Quick COVID testing question: Where did you go to get tested prior to embarking and what was the turn around time on the results?

I'm Canadian, so I needed a test to enter the U.S. and got one at my airport prior to departure. Rapid Antigen turned around in 15 minutes.

11 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Aaron, very nice write up and information. Hoping by November taxis will be more p,entyful. 
for disembarkation….are the restaurants open for breakfast while waiting to get off?

what time frame from port to airport are we looking at….I may have booked  a flight to the BI later then I anticipated if I’m reading correctly everyone is off the ship by 9. 
gracelyn 

Port to Airport, barring traffic, is about 15 minutes in Honolulu. Say 20-30 to be on the safe side. The longest wait you'll have is for the taxi queue. Give yourself lots of time; security at HNL was pretty slammed when I departed, which was late-evening. Also, baggage for U.S.-bound passengers must go through an agricultural screening pre-check-in, and that takes more time.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, CruiseDealSweeper said:

I was hoping for a late flight home (as in 6PM or later) and instead we leave Hawaii at 3:00PM. We now have to cancel our Shore Excursion we booked that went to Pearl Harbor. NCL will not change the flights.

Have you tried booking the post cruise excursion through NCL?  Call and ask if you can add it since you are flying through NCL. After the excursion they will drop you at the airport.  

• Like 2