Miracle out of San Francisco

hapytobehr

Husband and I are cruising to Alaska next month from San Francisco.

Can anyone tell me how embarkation is from that port?  Do they have facial recognition?  How organized is it?  Is it easy to get to the port?

We are staying at the Kimpton Alton Hotel on Jones street.

We usually leave out of Miami and it's really easy from there.

Any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

First of all wishing you and your husband a wonderful trip.

Quick background, I previously lived in SF and my wife and I were on a Pacific Coastal that called there for two days.  I can't respond to the embarkation experience other than the relative location of the cruise terminal to your hotel.

Is it easy to get to the port?

It looks like you have chosen a very convenient location.  The 6-1/2 blocks between  your hotel and the cruise terminal is relatively flat.  If it wasn't for your luggage I would suggest walking over to the cruise terminal on embarkation day.

Here is a link to the cruise terminal website which may be helpful too.

https://sfport.com/maritime/cruise

Since you are packing for Alaska I probably don't need to mention that it can be cool and breezy in San Francisco especially right before sunset.  Bring appropriate outerwear.  The overall weather in the City in May should be very nice.

We too are cruising next month to Alaska out of San Fran on the Miracle. We are intending to walk from the hotel Riu over to the ship. We plan to take our time and do as many blocks as our early sixty year old bodies allow before a break. LOL This is a re-scheduled trip from August last year due to contracting Covid. Now comes the daunting task of figuring what to pack and what not to pack. This is our first cold weather cruise so it’s going to be much different from our norm. 

‘’happy safe sailing everyone”

1 hour ago, SF Cfan said:

First of all wishing you and your husband a wonderful trip.

Quick background, I previously lived in SF and my wife and I were on a Pacific Coastal that called there for two days.  I can't respond to the embarkation experience other than the relative location of the cruise terminal to your hotel.

Is it easy to get to the port?

It looks like you have chosen a very convenient location.  The 6-1/2 blocks between  your hotel and the cruise terminal is relatively flat.  If it wasn't for your luggage I would suggest walking over to the cruise terminal on embarkation day.

Here is a link to the cruise terminal website which may be helpful too.

https://sfport.com/maritime/cruise

Since you are packing for Alaska I probably don't need to mention that it can be cool and breezy in San Francisco especially right before sunset.  Bring appropriate outerwear.  The overall weather in the City in May should be very nice.

Thank you so much for your response!  I have some mobility issues (bad back) so walking may not be a good idea.  From what i have read, Uber would be the best choice.  

I have researched the weather for both Alaska and SF for that time of year.  As debnrick said 'what to pack and not pack" is the issue as this is our first cool weather cruise as well. Since we are flying, we also have to watch the "weight".

The last time I was in San Francisco was 40 years ago in December.  We will be staying for a few days after we return from the cruise to explore what we have missed after all those years!