PACEMAKER

drdaddy

We have been cruising often. But as things change, so does health.

So, now I find myself with a Pacemaker and I feel pretty good.  BUT, going through security could be interesting.

We are not flying, only cruising our of Ft. Lauderdale. Has anyone else been there with a pacemaker and do I have to be concerned about the screening equipment. The doc said to ask NOT to be wanded but a hand pat down would be better. I just wonder if I should go to the screener and hand them my card that says I have a pacer or go through and see I set off the alarm.

Thanks.

43 minutes ago, drdaddy said:

We have been cruising often. But as things change, so does health.

So, now I find myself with a Pacemaker and I feel pretty good.  BUT, going through security could be interesting.

We are not flying, only cruising our of Ft. Lauderdale. Has anyone else been there with a pacemaker and do I have to be concerned about the screening equipment. The doc said to ask NOT to be wanded but a hand pat down would be better. I just wonder if I should go to the screener and hand them my card that says I have a pacer or go through and see I set off the alarm.

Thanks.

you will be accommodated, let them know, it's not a big deal, many many people go through screening with pacemakers

In Seattle, you would be directed to the ADA security line if you spoke up.  You would explain your situation to the screener, who would call for the appropriate gender security agent to give you a pat down.  Your traveling companion would need to go thru the regular screening line, unless they also had need of the ADA line.

You may need to self select / self advocate for the ADA line, as the security folks may assume otherwise since you probably appear ambulatory.  

Check with the device manufacturer - information is usually on their webpage. My husband has a Medtronic implanted defibrillator and he can go through the typical screeners. If he requires additional screening, he has to request a pat-down vs wand screening. 

Agreed with the previous posters. I am on pacemaker #5 and have cruised a dozen times with them. When boarding, simply inform someone at the security gate that you have a pacemaker, and will be taken care of......and don't sweat it. You will be FAR from the only one who will need that. It's a breeze and there is zero hassle.

Enjoy the cruise...AND life!!!!

Andy