Who has stayed at the Dover Restover?

Boo's Mom

Hey Sue G ~

Is it a nice place?

We will need two rooms and will end up paying $188. USD..... is it worth it?

Is there any other place that you can highly recommend?

About Dover: Should we just walk around town...or would you recommend a tour of some sort?

Thanks!

Hi Boo's Mom

To be fair there is not that much in Dover other than the castle - it is really a port town with the cruise port and the ferry port for access to France.

Not sure how long you are planning to stay before your cruise but if you want to stay in Dover it may be a good idea to have a day in Canterbury which by train from Dover is about 15 to 30 mins depending on whether it is a fast or slow train. An adult return for the day is £5.60 (just over US$3). The web site you need to check out trains is www.nationalrail.co.uk and the starting station would be Dover Priory. Another couple of websites that you may find useful are www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk and www.canterbury.co.uk both of these list accommodations and things to see and do.

Of course Canterbury is historic including the cathedral and may have more to offer than Dover and is visited by many tourists each year.

My parents and I are doing the Baltic cruise with ncl leaving Dover on 28th June and as I said living so near to the port will be any easy departure for us.

Hope this may be of some help if you hve any other questions don't hesitate to contact me.

Sue G

Hi Sue and Boo's Mom,

We're staying at the Premier Travel Inn Central in Dover for one night before our cruise. My husband is disabled and we have a scooter. Some other poster said that this would be a good choice and a good value at 61 GBP, ($106) also. They offer disabled rooms. From what I can tell, the inn is close to the terminal and you can see the ocean.

What do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Judy

The Premier Travel Lodge is a good basic place to stay and is fine for one night - something similar to a motel. The Travel Inn Central is located closest to the Eastern Docks which is the ferry terminal for ferries to France the cruise terminals are actually at the Western Docks but are only a short taxi ride away. You can get info on the docks at www.doverport.co.uk

Sue G

• 2 weeks later...
I am thinking about bringing my scooter. How will you be transporting it from the London airport to Dover and back? Thanks in advance. Charlie

Hi Charlie,

We are flying Virgin Airlines to Heathrow. Being met at the airport by Mr. David Stubbs with a minivan. He'll have a sign with our name on it (never done that before!) Will drive us to Dover and drop us at the Travel Inn.

His website is:

http://www.londoncountrytours.co.uk/company.htm

Email him at: info@londoncountrytours.co.uk

For August 25th he quoted us a very reasonable price of 120 GBP (about $213) for a minivan Kia Sedona which will hold all our luggage and the scooter. At least we won't have to wait for tour buses. He'll also stop along the way for a tour for extra money.

I asked lots of questions because I've read that the vehicles in Great Britian are much smaller than we're used to.

He is very prompt in answering emails. The price is good for two people, luggage and scooter. That's the total for all: $213.

Hope this infor helps. When and where are you sailing?

Archived