CLOTHING FOR ANTARTICA 1/20 TO 2/6 4 DAYS SCENIC CRUISING

TomCon

When we sailed on the HAL Zaandam around the Antarctica peninsula in Jan 2018, it was beautiful all 4 days with the highs lingering around 32 degrees. But it was a dry cold! 😂

But, when I went outside, I usually wore an undershirt under a long sleeve flannel shirt with a coat designed for cold weather and was quite comfortable.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Coral Princess for this itinerary in January 2020.  Best advice would be to layer.  You'll want to be outside a lot as the scenery is incredible and seems to go on forever.  A head covering and gloves are definitely necessary but expect wind and very cold temperatures.

• 3 months later...

I was also on the Coral 2020. It was cold and rained a couple of days. 

As previously stated- layer. spend as much time on deck as you can- I was in a balcony room and this was great as I got to see so much in warmth. but I also spent many hours out on deck.

enjoy this trip............I loved it

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lois1112 said:

I was also on the Coral 2020. It was cold and rained a couple of days. 

As previously stated- layer. spend as much time on deck as you can- I was in a balcony room and this was great as I got to see so much in warmth. but I also spent many hours out on deck.

enjoy this trip............I loved it

Nice. Sounds like our prior Alaska cruise

Don't forget you'll be in Buenos Aires and/or Santiago in the middle of their summer. We did this cruise (our first on Princess) in 2009 and I had to go get some lighter clothes because it was sooo hot. Note: We arrived in BA four days early so I was definitely suffering until new duds were purchased.

18 hours ago, Allograft said:

Did anyone get to enjoy any snow on their cruise?

In Feb 2010 on the Star Princess it did snow for us (heavy) one of the days while in Antarctica, the positive was it was Super Bowl Sunday, and I got to watch the Super Bowl outside on the Muts, onboard a ship, at sea, wearing a parka during a snow storm....  ( other worldly !!! )

Now that's a Antarctica memory 🤪

• Like 1