Juneau - Interactive Self-Guided Jeep Adventure - Private 4 Door

woostergirl

I booked the interactive self-guided Jeep Adventure through Princess shore excursions. (I think the vendor is Unplugged Adventures.)  It seemed like a fun way to see some things around Juneau at our own pace and in the privacy of our own vehicle. Our family is my husband and I and two kids ages 11 and 7. We are on the Ruby sailing out of San Francisco on June 29, 2022.

For those who have done this before, I have a few questions...

1. I can save $90 by booking the private 2 door Jeep vs. the 4 door Jeep. But the thought of the kids climbing in and out of the jeep with their muddy boots on the front car seats steered me to the 4 door. Or am I overthinking this and I should just get a 2 door Jeep and save some money?

2. I'm interesting in stopping at Tracy's King Crab Shack for some crab. Can I do a pit stop here while we have the Jeep or do I have to stay on the route on the iPad?

3. A related question, it says the excursion is from 830a-1p but we are in port until 9p. Can I keep the Jeep longer than 1p or does it need to be returned by a specific time.

Thank you!

I haven’t done this tour, but we do own both a two door and a four door jeep.

In the two door, the easiest way to get into the back seat is to flip the front passenger seat forward and then you climb behind it, ducking under the seat belt strap.  Unless you miss the opening entirely, you aren’t stepping on the front seat.  You’re entering behind it, not over it.  Should be easy for mobile/active kids or smaller adults.

But yes, the four door is much easier to get in and out of, it’s what we take when we have a senior parent with us, since there’s no way my mom could climb up and into the two door.  (And, we have to carry a folding step-stool with us so she can use it to get in.)

But both vehicles are a climb, and depending on when you're going, the issue won’t be muddy boots so much as the fact that the kids will have to climb into the two door one at a time while whoever is in the front passenger seat stands in the rain waiting for them to get in.

Do you have a Jeep dealer nearby?  Or a car rental place that rents them?  If so, maybe go check them out in person so that you can see for yourself and decide.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1

I also used to own a previous-gen (2013, which is roughly the same size as current ones) 2-door Wrangler and agree that it isn't quick and easy to get into the back seats. If it weren't just my wife and myself, we definitely would have got the 4-door.

I'll be following since I considered this but ended up booking another excursion instead.

If you want the option of having a vehicle to enjoy your entire day, I would suggest renting one on your own instead. We do this often in our AK ports - including Juneau. It is so nice to be able to explore on your own and there is so much to see outside of downtown. We are renting a minivan for our upcoming Juneau day from Juneau Car Rentals for $149. We will have it all day and not have to be limited to a tour time. Just something you

might want to consider. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

If you want the option of having a vehicle to enjoy your entire day, I would suggest renting one on your own instead. We do this often in our AK ports - including Juneau. It is so nice to be able to explore on your own and there is so much to see outside of downtown. We are renting a minivan for our upcoming Juneau day from Juneau Car Rentals for $149. We will have it all day and not have to be limited to a tour time. Just something you

might want to consider. 

Thanks for this suggestion @karatemom2! Renting directly is a much lower rate!

• Like 2