Cruise Critic is live from Viking Octantis: What do you want to know?

Editor Colleen

On 7/23/2022 at 5:41 PM, Doglovertoo said:

What type of tender boats are they using?

Tenders, the normal kind, brand spanking nice new ones, except at Frazier Sound, where it was zodiacs.

I happen to love the zodiacs, but there was a chance of thunder storms, so I didn’t choose to go. Somebody who did go enjoyed it very much. I had wanted to see Okeechobee Lodge, but had to miss it b/c I wimped out.

Regarding subs....we're having a real go around with information from Viking.  We were initially told you wait until onboard to sign up. Then all the sudden one sub excursion popped up and it was already full.  We called Viking and they said they did not know why that was on there, there is not a sub excursion, it is something you sign up for onboard. Yesterday we received an email which stated we had not signed up for the sub excursion.  ???? We are totally confused and feeling like this is not organized and I now feel like we won't even have a chance at a sub, which I understood was iffy at best anyway, but at least everyone should have an equal chance to sign up.  

9 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Regarding subs....we're having a real go around with information from Viking.  We were initially told you wait until onboard to sign up. Then all the sudden one sub excursion popped up and it was already full.  We called Viking and they said they did not know why that was on there, there is not a sub excursion, it is something you sign up for onboard. Yesterday we received an email which stated we had not signed up for the sub excursion.  ???? We are totally confused and feeling like this is not organized and I now feel like we won't even have a chance at a sub, which I understood was iffy at best anyway, but at least everyone should have an equal chance to sign up.  

I did sign up from home, but when I got to my stateroom, there was no ticket. I inquired at Guest Services. Everybody is required to attend a special briefing regarding the sub. 

I think everybody who wanted to go, was able to. I wimped out after watching the description of what I should be able to do by myself, to transfer from the zodiac to the sub. I probably would’ve been fine, but I chose to say no thank you.

Besides needing to be able to transfer, you might be unhappy if you’re prone to seasickness or claustrophobia.

Evidently the subs have to be balanced somewhat carefully, so anybody who cancels at the last minute causes staff to hunt around for a guest of similar weight. Otherwise, they load some huge beanbag into your seat! Anyway, that’s my understanding. Also, I suspect that a few staff are on standby. Most of them don’t weigh very much, though!