Luggage on the Thames Clipper

Twitchly

When we stay in London next September for a few days before our cruise, our hotel will be close to a Thames Clipper stop. I’m thinking it would be fun to take the Clipper to Greenwich, from which our cruise departs. But I’m wondering how that would work with luggage. We’re not huge packers, but we’ll probably have a regular suitcase and a couple of carryons. 

Has anyone tried to take luggage on a Thames Clipper? 

I have.  Rolling suitcase, small backpack, no problem at all.

Do make sure that where you are boarding doesn't have steps.  Almost all of their piers have ramp access, but not all.

• Like 2

Twitchly, we'll be on that BIE cruise with you in September and are also planning to use the Thames Clipper (now Uber?) to reach the cruise pier in Greenwich.  The Thames Clipper Conditions of Carriage state:

13.1 For safety reasons, and for the comfort of passengers, we are required to restrict the amount and type of luggage, including pushchairs and shopping trolleys that you take with you on our services. Subject to the absolute discretion of Thames Clippers staff and crew and provided there is space available on a vessel, the items do not obstruct access to safety and life saving equipment, gangways, stairs and passageways and are not placed on seats, the following items may be taken on board a vessel:  personal luggage  pushchairs and buggies  prams  bicycles  any other item, provided it is not dangerous or likely to injure anyone and save for those set out in Condition 1.4. 13.2 You may not take:  any item that is more than 2 metres long  hazardous or inflammable substances

So, it looks like you can take luggage with you, as long as it doesn't obstruct as stated above.  We will have our two carry-ons with us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MM9U said:

I have.  Rolling suitcase, small backpack, no problem at all.

Do make sure that where you are boarding doesn't have steps.  Almost all of their piers have ramp access, but not all.

Did you have to stand somewhere, or was there room for your suitcases next to your seats? Just trying to picture how to manage this.

2 hours ago, soundcruiser said:

So, it looks like you can take luggage with you, as long as it doesn't obstruct as stated above.  We will have our two carry-ons with us.

Helpful info, thanks. Looking forward to meeting you!

I’d be less concerned if we were just traveling with carryons. Maybe I’ll turn over a new leaf.

39 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Did you have to stand somewhere, or was there room for your suitcases next to your seats? Just trying to picture how to manage this.

There were seats in the middle with space open in front of them, so I just pulled the suitcase between two seats.  I was traveling at a time when the boats were not busy, so there was no problem. 

I'm looking forward to meeting you as well, Twitchly!

This  is one of the reasons we travel with carry-on only - it opens up some interesting transit options at our destination! We are considering shipping a small bag via Luggage Forward directly to the ship - we'll have to do a practice pack later this summer and see how much room we have for a souvenir or two! 

• Like 1

Hope this link works.  In the article they refer to making better access for elderly, handicapped, and luggage.  Should be no problem unless you travel like Jackie Kennedy.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiM8ff1uY_3AhWeDkQIHXg8BfwQFnoECCsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Flondonist.com%2Flondon%2Ftransport%2Fuber-boats-thames-clippers-new-hybrid-net-zero&usg=AOvVaw2QiS1PMLSaRZztOLg15OXh

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Hope this link works.  In the article they refer to making better access for elderly, handicapped, and luggage.  Should be no problem unless you travel like Jackie Kennedy.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiM8ff1uY_3AhWeDkQIHXg8BfwQFnoECCsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Flondonist.com%2Flondon%2Ftransport%2Fuber-boats-thames-clippers-new-hybrid-net-zero&usg=AOvVaw2QiS1PMLSaRZztOLg15OXh

Nice. I wonder if these boats will be operating in time to hold my piles of luggage.

I once traveled the world for six months with nothing but a knapsack. Those days are long gone. Maybe it’s time to bring them back. 

• Like 2