Shore excursions and Covid contact

laslomas

I am currently considering excursions for my Mediterranean cruise in May. Last year, on excursions during my UK cruise, the coach was only half full and alternate seats left empty and our seat numbers were noted. Is this still the case?

If not, does anyone know what the situation would be if you were on a coach of 40 or more, and one of them tested positive for Covid shortly after? During the necessary contact tracing how would it affect the whole coachload? Would they all be classed as close contacts and therefore need to follow restrictive guidelines and test daily? 

Edited by laslomas

I can’t speak for the contact tracing or what is now considered a close contact.  After 3 cruises in the Caribbean over the last several months I can report the Celebrity tour boats and busses were packed to the brim.  We elected to skip all ship sponsored tours.  We were more comfortable walking about on our own.  That said,  a packed martini bar and the dining rooms may more of a risk than a tour.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:55 PM, laslomas said:

I am currently considering excursions for my Mediterranean cruise in May. Last year, on excursions during my UK cruise, the coach was only half full and alternate seats left empty and our seat numbers were noted. Is this still the case?

If not, does anyone know what the situation would be if you were on a coach of 40 or more, and one of them tested positive for Covid shortly after? During the necessary contact tracing how would it affect the whole coachload? Would they all be classed as close contacts and therefore need to follow restrictive guidelines and test daily? 

We are going in May too and today I cancelled our Sorrento tour for this reason. 
It would be day 2 of 7 and being on a coach for 1.5hrs each way is freaking me out. 
Not worried about contracting it but the thought of isolation in an inside cabin 😩

we do have other tours booked but they are more outside walking tours around Greece. 

For my Med cruise next month, I am taking only private tours where the maximum number on each excursion is 6 people, including my wife and me. There's no way I'm getting on a busload of 40 people for an excursion in Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the Celebrity site still says: 'Based upon conditions or regulations in the countries you will visit, you may be required to go ashore on a shore excursion provided by Celebrity Cruises.' For Italy any word or experience that this has been relaxed? Also, did this apply to any shore experience (walking around) or just to excursions?

4 hours ago, sasset said:

I was just wondering if it's been invoked recently.

The information on P&Os website on port entry requirements is far superior to Celebrity’s even if I'm told their cruise product isn't.  Their information was updated 3 May and states you do not have to take a ship's tour. My brother sailed with P&O mid April and did his own thing, no ship's tour in Genoa.