Atlantis

starri

So, I know we collectively tend towards more sedate activities, but I was wondering about anyone's collective experiences on Atlantis charters.

I booked my first one with two of my best friends (one friend and me: mid-40s, other friend mid-30s), because I've always wanted to do it, and at 44, I'm reasonably comfortable in my body as I'm somehow in the best shape of my life.  I know it's not a non-stop party even if YouTube videos make it seem that way.  So, what's it like when you're not dancing?

We've done 2 Atlantis cruises and loved each one.  I'm not a dancer either but I so enjoy watching others have fun (truth be told, I'm a voyeur at heart  LOL).  There is a lot to do aboard the ships and the entertainment is supplied by Atlantis.  We had a few drag shows, some acrobatic shows,  some comedy, a Love and Marriage type game where couples go onstage and answer questions about themselves; hysterical, White parties, Caribbean themed nights etc.  They'll send you a list of events prior to your sailings so you can pack accordingly.  The afternoon Tea Dances are not to be missed.  Quite the menagerie of eye candy 😜.  Have fun.

• Like 2

Done 3 cruises with Atlantis, went there first time at the age of 48 after years of hesitations, enjoyed it a lot. Comparing to regular cruises, I find Atlantis crowd to be more cheerful, non-judgemental, and engaging, with more uninhibited dress code, especially on the sun deck. Entertainment on board is more gay-themed, and theme parties given the ship certain gay club feel though only small fraction of guests stays there all time, especially with COVID infection risks still being high.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2022 at 6:13 AM, Surfguyxxx said:

They'll send you a list of events prior to your sailings so you can pack accordingly.  The afternoon Tea Dances are not to be missed.  Quite the menagerie of eye candy 😜.  Have fun.

I wish they'd give the party themes further in advance.  I'm determined to enjoy my midlife crisis while aboard.

Thank you both for the info.  This may be my one shot to be the world's oldest, schlubbiest circuit boy.  Just have to workout nonstop for the next 9 months.

• Like 1

Totally agree regarding the party themes - it takes at least a month to order the outfits online and get them shipped from China. I heard on my previous cruise in January that people told this to Atlantis staff - let's see if they react. On the other side, don't sweat the costumes too much: some parties are always there - White, Dog Tag, Disco to name a few - and so many people just wear something neutral and still meddle in well.

Regarding the age and the shape - well, it all depends. Longer exotic cruises tend to have more mature crowd than short Caribbean trips (not that many young kids have time and money for a 10-12 day European or Asian cruise) so my observation is, the average passenger on a Mediterranean cruise is in his 50s. Same with the shape. There are always eye candies but not like you're gonna have diabetes)

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, andrcan said:

On the other side, don't sweat the costumes too much: some parties are always there - White, Dog Tag, Disco to name a few - and so many people just wear something neutral and still meddle in well.

I'm glad the Dog Tag one is a constant for...reasons.

52 minutes ago, andrcan said:

Regarding the age and the shape - well, it all depends. Longer exotic cruises tend to have more mature crowd than short Caribbean trips (not that many young kids have time and money for a 10-12 day European or Asian cruise) so my observation is, the average passenger on a Mediterranean cruise is in his 50s. Same with the shape. There are always eye candies but not like you're gonna have diabetes)

I mean, this is the big Harmony one (and then they're turning around and having another on Norwegian Prima in like three weeks), so I know I'll likely be towards the upper end of the age range.  Which I'm fine with.  I just want to have a good time, and hopefully not be too physically repulsive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starri said:

I mean, this is the big Harmony one (and then they're turning around and having another on Norwegian Prima in like three weeks), so I know I'll likely be towards the upper end of the age range.  Which I'm fine with.  I just want to have a good time, and hopefully not be too physically repulsive.

No worries - I've been on Allure a few years ago and in the elevators, one always has to yield to mobility scooters: everyone there has good time indeed, it's just we only tend to notice certain types 😉

5 hours ago, andrcan said:

No worries - I've been on Allure a few years ago and in the elevators, one always has to yield to mobility scooters: everyone there has good time indeed, it's just we only tend to notice certain types 😉

Well, I usually take the stairs.

I'm actually more excited than nervous, and that actually scares me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have done several Atlantis Charters and don't see myself returning to non-Atlantis sailings any time soon - that's not to say I never will.  Overall I would say the Atlantis experience it what you make of it. If you want to dance/party and act silly you can. If you want to sunbathe, read a book, enjoy a show, or sip on a cocktail - you can. Or you can do both. The key to me is about balance. The crowd on an Atlantis cruise is nicer, non-judgemental, it's nice to be able to hold hands or snuggle on the pool deck without anyone batting an eye - to be in the majority for a week.  Atlantis is pricier but they bring their own special guests, entertainers, comedians, singers, DJs, lights and sound effects technicians, along with decorations, sound/light equipment, and their own staff to help make your vacation experience enjoyable.  

Generally the January Caribbean sailings tend to be the wilder all night party cruises but plenty of guests don't participate and do other activities.  Fall sailings are a bit more tamer, still lots of fun but guests lean more 50/50 partier/non-partier.

My most recent sailing which was a 10 night Tropical Americas cruise leaned more toward the non-partier guest. Lots of great stops and excursions = early to bed.  

I look forward to trying a European voyage in the (hopefully not to distant) future.  Overall, I highly recommend an Atlantis Charter - go in with an open mind, say hi to everyone, and don't forget to act a little silly and you'll have a blast!

Edited by CruisinD80
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've done seven or eight Atlantis cruises, and I'm booked on the October cruise to Mexico. Me: late 50s, bear, not at all into loud dance music. I don't drink. The October cruise tends to suit my work schedule, and I do bring a Halloween costume, but usually skip all of the theme stuff. Who needs the extra suitcases? I've always found the crowd to be friendly -even some of the eye candy. No matter how out you are at home, there's something to be said for being in the majority, rather than a minority, for a change. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That's been my experience, too, Surfguyxxx. I always chat with crew members -especially in the onboard shops. They always say the same thing: the Atlantis cruise is their favorite. I'm enough of a skeptic to think, "sure, that's what you've been told to say," but they offer valid reasons. First off, Atlantis gives all crew the option to temporarily transfer to another ship if they don't want to work the charter. There is a waitlist of staff from other ships who want to transfer TO the charter. They all say that gay travelers have fewer complaints and blow-ups, and tip better. They say we are generally much nicer and easier to have around. Every department on the ship quickly turns a profit, which makes management happier and lightens the mood for staff. They like the late-night parties and additional activities, saying it's better than standing around or doing busy work. 

The female staff say they enjoy attending the dance parties and disco (usually not allowed on regular cruises) because they can dance without fear of getting hit on -or worse. They also love seeing the male crew getting eyed up or hit on for a change. Most are perfectly fine with the attention, but I've been told several times that they get a kick out of seeing some of the older officers squirm.

As a veteran of three-dozen cruises I can say that gay cruisers tend to be more polite and treat the crew better. They engage them in conversation, and tend to remember the names of the servers. Things are just more relaxed and friendly... 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, fshepinc said:

That's been my experience, too, Surfguyxxx. I always chat with crew members -especially in the onboard shops. They always say the same thing: the Atlantis cruise is their favorite. I'm enough of a skeptic to think, "sure, that's what you've been told to say," but they offer valid reasons. First off, Atlantis gives all crew the option to temporarily transfer to another ship if they don't want to work the charter. There is a waitlist of staff from other ships who want to transfer TO the charter. They all say that gay travelers have fewer complaints and blow-ups, and tip better. They say we are generally much nicer and easier to have around. Every department on the ship quickly turns a profit, which makes management happier and lightens the mood for staff. They like the late-night parties and additional activities, saying it's better than standing around or doing busy work. 

The female staff say they enjoy attending the dance parties and disco (usually not allowed on regular cruises) because they can dance without fear of getting hit on -or worse. They also love seeing the male crew getting eyed up or hit on for a change. Most are perfectly fine with the attention, but I've been told several times that they get a kick out of seeing some of the older officers squirm.

As a veteran of three-dozen cruises I can say that gay cruisers tend to be more polite and treat the crew better. They engage them in conversation, and tend to remember the names of the servers. Things are just more relaxed and friendly... 

Agree 100% 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, starri said:

I wish they'd give the party themes further in advance.  I'm determined to enjoy my midlife crisis while aboard.

If early announcement of party themes are important; check out Vacaya! They announce it months in advance. 😄 

For the Jan 10, 2022 cruise they announced the themes on Sep 12, 2021.

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've done 3 Atlantis cruises and enjoyed them, but it won't be a regular thing for me.  The vibe is stuck in 90s circuit culture to some extent, and the formula for each cruise stays the same. 

If you're traveling solo the smaller the ship the better.  My last one was on a megaship and it was hard to stay in touch with anyone you met since you may never see them again unless you're very forward and exchange info as soon as you meet (which is considered creepy on dry land).  The megaship seemed to attract a groupie crowd (large groups of guys who already know each other).  Most guys are so attached to their phones they pay for service on the ship and stay in touch that way.  I think the days of leaving notes on doors is probably fading...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg_atlanta said:

I've done 3 Atlantis cruises and enjoyed them, but it won't be a regular thing for me.  The vibe is stuck in 90s circuit culture to some extent, and the formula for each cruise stays the same. 

If you're traveling solo the smaller the ship the better.  My last one was on a megaship and it was hard to stay in touch with anyone you met since you may never see them again unless you're very forward and exchange info as soon as you meet (which is considered creepy on dry land).  The megaship seemed to attract a groupie crowd (large groups of guys who already know each other).  Most guys are so attached to their phones they pay for service on the ship and stay in touch that way.  I think the days of leaving notes on doors is probably fading...

The world has changed a lot over last 20 years, all cruise lines are now gay-friendly and so seem to be the guests. Nowadays one can choose the cruise without thinking about hiding oneself in the closet. In this situation, Atlantis has to compete with regular cruise lines for those not primarily interested in the parties - a fight hard to win. Parties sell though: this year’s big party cruises (Oasis and Odyssey) are sold outs whereas the “destination” journeys (Spanish, Baltic, Central American) are not. 

I get the change in attitudes of cruise lines and passengers over the last few decades -I've seen it first hand. But if you're a single gay man, your chances of meeting and connecting with someone on a straight cruise are pretty slim. The other gay passengers are usually couples. On the Atlantis cruises I generally skip the deck parties and the "scene" but I enjoy the opportunity to meet and mingle with other single gay men. On straight cruises I end up as a third wheel or a temporary gay bff.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:01 PM, andrcan said:

Nowadays one can choose the cruise without thinking about hiding oneself in the closet

I don't know if that's true. I posted another thread in this forum on this topic, as I had to do a double take at booking a cruise leaving out of Galveston, TX (as an example). I really wasn't sure if that port would be friendly to us if we stayed there given the political climate in the state and the amount of folks from TX that will be onboard a ship.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, notscb said:

I don't know if that's true. I posted another thread in this forum on this topic, as I had to do a double take at booking a cruise leaving out of Galveston, TX (as an example). I really wasn't sure if that port would be friendly to us if we stayed there given the political climate in the state and the amount of folks from TX that will be onboard a ship.

So how did it turn out?

24 minutes ago, notscb said:

I'll let y'all know. We haven't done it yet lol.

I hope it will be fine. Me and my husband met a bunch of Texan gals in their 60s on our recent cruise last June - we became like the best girlfriends right away 🙂

There was a group on our recent sailing (they did not charter the entire ship) that I won't name, because I don't want to be like that.  But when we first learned they'd be on our trip we looked forward to interacting with them even though we were not part of their organization.  And nothing!  We took every opportunity to greet them, say hello, ask about their group and rarely got any responses, just polite stares, even a few "how dare you speak to us" looks.  I was really disappointed.  So I don't know if maybe they were just in the habit of discretion, on the DL, or what.  But I was thanking the stars I never signed up for one of their trips, and certainly not the way to attract interested parties.  Maybe the full ship charters would be a different experience.  We're not club/circuit/scene folk by any stretch of the imagination and maybe it showed 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, notscb said:

You raise a very valid point.  I took a trip out of San Diego to Mexico years ago and the passenger base was definitely SoCal to a tee, not a bad thing at all, but wanted to point out that a lot of cruises heavily reflect the port/region you're sailing from, so I'll be interested in hearing about your experience.  I will say I've heard a mix of good and bad about Galveston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville; those 3 in particular.  I wouldn't hesitate to book a 14+ day itinerary out of these places, but I know those are never offered at those ports.  The edgier crowds tend to favor 7 days or less.  In fact the only time I've ever felt unsafe on a ship was during a 2 day booze cruise that was attached to our 3 week itinerary; in other words, we would not have booked it by choice even if it were free.  Thank God for 24 hour room service, one meal in the MDR and that was it for us.  

• 5 months later...

atexsix is right -the port you sail from and the length of the cruise make a big difference. (Dare I say size matters?) I totally avoid 2-to-4-day cruises, as most of the people are there to drink and party, and that's not my thing. I've met perfectly nice people sailing from Galveston and New Orleans, but I didn't feel very comfortable overall, due to the politics and the smoking. No one went out of their way to make me feel bad, but it was the very definition of micro aggressions -casually-hateful comments, bigoted jokes, etc. 

I've done small-group and full-ship charters like Atlantis, and they are much more welcoming.

I had a PHENOMENAL time on the Harmony cruise last month.  I was very anxious going in, because I got very, very sick last summer, had emergency surgery where I was essentially cut in half to remove most of my colon, lost 40 lbs in the span of three weeks, and then turned around and had a second surgery to hook the remaining colon back up in November, so between the scars on my stomach and the way my physique has been wrecked.  

I didn’t need to worry.  I was dancing with my shirt off by the third night.  I’ve never felt so free in my life.  I don’t know how I’d do a Muggle cruise again.

• Like 1