QM2 pier locations and timing questions

JSR

I am knew to Cunard. Seems I had not trouble finding out which nights are formal nights but can not find anything on which piers we dock, what hours we are in port, or what time we sail. My itinerary is vague with statements like arrive in the morning...

The sailing is June 22 and it is a TA so not much to sort out but I need to organize wheelchair accessible transportation now as I will be traveling as we get closer to sailing. 

June 22 depart from which pier in Hamburg, which pier? Boarding starts at noon but when does it end?

June 24 we are in Southampton, When do we arrive and when do we depart? (pier is Mayflower?)

July 1, we are in Brooklyn, NY, when? (guessing Red Hook Brooklyn)

Thanks for the help 

Newbie Jean

6 minutes ago, JSR said:

I am knew to Cunard. Seems I had not trouble finding out which nights are formal nights but can not find anything on which piers we dock, what hours we are in port, or what time we sail. My itinerary is vague with statements like arrive in the morning...

The sailing is June 22 and it is a TA so not much to sort out but I need to organize wheelchair accessible transportation now as I will be traveling as we get closer to sailing. 

June 22 depart from which pier in Hamburg, which pier? Boarding starts at noon but when does it end?

June 24 we are in Southampton, When do we arrive and when do we depart? (pier is Mayflower?)

July 1, we are in Brooklyn, NY, when? (guessing Red Hook Brooklyn)

Thanks for the help 

Newbie Jean

The Port of Hamburg shows QM2 departing from Steinwerder at 1900 on the 22nd. Your check in time will be somewhat earlier - will be on your paperwork.

I just checked the ABP Southampton schedule and was able to confirm Berth 106 - the Mayflower terminal, but not the scheduled times for arrival and departure. As an in-transit passenger you should be able to come and go as you please once the ship docks [about 0700]. There may be difficulties if you need accessible transportation as the initial access uses the crew gangway, and I don't recall any wheelchair accommodations there. There should be accessible options for the ship's tours. The local radio taxi service [and Uber as well] will have accessible options. Back on board time is likely to be about 1700 - and actual departure may be delayed if a ship's tour is delayed returning.

On 1 July, QM2 is scheduled for Red Hook Brooklyn. We are usually in the last group of passengers off the ship, typically collecting our baggage by 10:30 AM.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The Port of Hamburg shows QM2 departing from Steinwerder at 1900 on the 22nd. Your check in time will be somewhat earlier - will be on your paperwork.

But your paperwork - your boarding pass - probably won't be available until about 3 weeks before departure. Maybe you can arrange with Cunard to get your actual boarding time established earlier, since you have a disability issue to grapple with?

• Like 1

Excellent information. Thank you one and all for all the research and posting the information on our behalf. It is much appreciated. 

In Southampton we have a rolling/walking tour scheduled rolling distance from the ship and then off to the airplane museum. We won't need transport there just wanted to make sure we can make the 10am tour. 

We need to arrange transportation to and from hotel to ship in Hamburg and ship to LGA in NY. We also have to arrange a covid test prior to boarding in Hamburg as well as want to spend a little time sightseeing. We arrive the day before from Copenhagen after Disembarking from the Silver Moon. So it is all a bit tight. Glad we will have the option of boarding the QM later in the afternoon.

Again, thank you for the help. 

Best,

Jean

Edited by JSR

In Hamburg you will depart from the Steinwerder Cruise Terminal. You should depart about  5pm local. In Southampton you should arrive at daybreak. If you are going on a tour, or a self tour, you should be able to leave the ship by 9 am.

If you are going to the Solent Sky museum, it is not far from any of the docks, but if you need a wheel chair you will need a taxi. The Taxi Drivers in the UK are very handy with helping passengers who need a wheel chair in and out of the taxi's and stowing the chair. The distance from the Mayflower pier to the museum is well more than one mile. Not exactly strolling or rolling distance, so think Taxi.

You will arrive at Red Hook, Brooklyn very early in the am. Your luggage will be off according to your accommodation level, Britannia, Britannia Club, Princess and Queens Grill and status with Cunard. With the highest levels first.  You will be requested to give your flight number, to help with your disembarking but a warning if you book a flight before noon, you may have issues. 

@Bigmike911 Thank you. You seem to know a lot about the area. I am comfortable rolling about 2 miles or so. We have a rolling/walking tour which meets in city centre first. Do you know the best way to get from the pier to city center? Is taxi the only option or is there a bus or shuttle? (Not adverse to Taxis just do not want to spend a lot of time in a queue if many people are looking to do the same). 

Thanks for the on disembarking in Red Hook, we have no status on Cunard, we are in Queens Grill. Do you think we be safe arranging pick at either 9 or 9:30 am?

Thank you for your help. 

In Red Hook, we've had mixed results prebooking a car from the ship, due to uncertain timing. As a result, we pick up a taxi or hired car once we emerge from customs. It hasn't been a problem in our last four or so trips. As a fallback, we'd use Dial7 (212-777-7777, dial7.com, or their app) from the terminal - they're our go-to service anyway.