When I arrive in Puerto Rico...

wild1apache

My question is this....Has anyone ever flown into Puerto Rico the day of the cruise and wanted to see a little of Puerto Rico before you got on the ship?? My flight arrives in San Juan at about 11:45am and I would like to leave the airport, go get something to eat ( I LOVE Mofongo) and then get on the ship. What do I do with my luggage? Can I get on the ship at around noon and then get back off of the ship and then get back on the ship around 3pm or so?? I have been to San Juan before but not for a cruise, rather for vacation and so I do have a place or two that I need to go. Any suggestions on how this can be done? Is the Pier for Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas the Pier across from the Don Q. rum place? or is this pier somewhere else?? I need to get my bearings a little. Also is there anyone reading this who knows the BEST place in San Juan to get some mofongo? P.S. Mofongo is a food that is basically mashed up tostones (twice fried plantains) and garlic, pork-maybe cooked bacon and it is sooo good. You can order it with many different "toppings"- chicken, shrimp, etc etc. Any info is appreciated because this is really a dilemna for me.

We have only sailed Princess out of PR and alot of people boarded the ship,got settled then left to explore San Juan.You had to be back about 2 hours prior to sailing since we did not leave until 10:00 this gave us plenty of time to explore Old Town which was not too far. I sure RCCL would have the same policy.

We're sailing on the Serenade of the Seas on 1st April and intend to board the ship, have a bite to eat and then get off and explore Old San Juan for a while. Other people to seem to do this. There is a Walking Tour you can do on your own on line on the Frommer's site. I think RCCL use the Pam Am Pier which is a taxi ride from the town. I've also read to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship in the taxi (more than half an hour) because the traffic can be awful. Hope that helps. :) Amazing what you learn reading these threads. I've never been to San Juan, yet; Looking forward to it though! :D

I'm going to be in PR in May on The AOS and planning to do the same thing....check-in, drop my bag, grab something to eat and head out to Old PR. I have two questions: What time is the safety drill and is it ok if I miss it? Thanks

They for sure will not let you miss the safety drill. The safety drill is after everyone is onboard though. See, it's cool that you all aren't leaving until 10pm, but we are leaving I think at 5pm so that is really cutting it close. I know that there is one pier right across the street from the Don Q. Rum store (yum! Don Q. Limon is a MUST) and I am wondering is that the one that the Grandeur of the Seas leaves from??

OK - first of all if your flight arrives at 11:45 you WILL NOT be getting on the ship at noon..... by the time you get your luggage, get a taxi, get to the dock, go thru the checkin process (which they have really speeded up with SetSail Pass online), get on the ship, get back off it will be alot later than you think......

We sailed Serenade (10 p.m. sailing) in Nov. - our muster drill was in between the first dinner seating (5:30 that day) and the late one (8:30 that day) and YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE THERE. If you are not....you have to go the next day (which is when you are in St. Thomas so not convenient)

You will most likely leave from the Pan Am pier which is across the harbor from Old San Juan and requires a taxi ride to osj....see this site www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp to get your bearings. Traffic is slow slow slow in osj so allow plenty of time to get from A to B. You can get off and do some moving around but not as much as you will probably want.

Not sure about mofongo....but we ate at La Bombonera ( a 100 yr old bakery/cafe that is basically a local eatery) and they may have it. do a web search for their website.

As You have seen in the meet and mingle thread, best to just head straight to the ship, even though it is docking in Old San Juan that day. You'll probably be on the ship by 2 which would be enough time to find your cabin and get some exercise, walking the ship so you know where everything is.

~JS

Wild1apache, We got on the ship by about 1pm last week. Got our luggage, then walked back off the boat to explore Old San Juan. Our ship didn't leave until 10pm. My husband got back on about 5pm. This way at least you know your luggage is on and you are all checked in. Then you just show your sign and sail card and id and you're back on the ship! Have fun! We were on Destiny, however, I think it's easier because Old San Juan is right there and our drill was 930pm.

Our flight arrived around noon and we were able to go to the ship, change clothes, grab some lunch onboard and then headed into OSJ. We only spent a few hours in OSJ just because we were both tired and ready to relax (and I had been in OSJ before). Our ship (Serenade) didn't leave until 10:00 - muster drill was around 8:00 - 8:30!

My question is this....Has anyone ever flown into Puerto Rico the day of the cruise and wanted to see a little of Puerto Rico before you got on the ship?? My flight arrives in San Juan at about 11:45am and I would like to leave the airport, go get something to eat ( I LOVE Mofongo) and then get on the ship. What do I do with my luggage? Can I get on the ship at around noon and then get back off of the ship and then get back on the ship around 3pm or so?? I have been to San Juan before but not for a cruise, rather for vacation and so I do have a place or two that I need to go. Any suggestions on how this can be done? Is the Pier for Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas the Pier across from the Don Q. rum place? or is this pier somewhere else?? I need to get my bearings a little. Also is there anyone reading this who knows the BEST place in San Juan to get some mofongo? P.S. Mofongo is a food that is basically mashed up tostones (twice fried plantains) and garlic, pork-maybe cooked bacon and it is sooo good. You can order it with many different "toppings"- chicken, shrimp, etc etc. Any info is appreciated because this is really a dilemna for me.

THere is a little mall next to the Wyndham ( I think it is a Sheraton now) that has a restaurant called Mofongo's. We ate there after our last cruise and had mofongo for the first time.

Archived