Capri in October

cleobella

We are looking at tour options for the Amalfi Coast, have driven the up the coast many years ago and it was beautiful.  I'm wondering this time around if we should see the coast by boat, maybe with a trip to Capri?  If you have any knowledge of this area, would that be a good thing to do in October, or would it be too cold on the water and perhaps too "out of season" for Capri?  Also, I can not remember if the drive from Sorrento to Positano was more scenic then from Naples to Sorrento?  Anybody know this?  Thanks!

October is still high season, especially the first half of the month.  The ferries continue to run through November, weather permitting.

Where are you porting (Naples or Salerno)?  I personally think it's too much to try and do both, especially from Salerno.

We are in Naples Port, I think the ship offers a Capri (via hydrofoil) and Amalfi Coast Drive, with a stop in Amalfi as well.  Really not so sure about 1) ship's tour, usually do local options but with this being our first European trip since the pandemic we are feeling a bit uncertain 2) not sure we will see much on a hydrofoil and have heard mixed reviews of Capri actually.

Well, name any location on earth and give me about five minutes with google and I can show you a dozen negative reviews.  Unhappy people tend to be more loquacious about their complaints than happy people are about compliments.

What are your concerns about Capri?

• Like 1

EuroCcruser, that is true.We really enjoyed the Amalfi coast scenery in the past, several years ago, with stops in Sorrento and Positano. Being back in Naples, in Oct, I am wondering if we should repeat our previous trip (sure to be enjoyed) or try Capri which could be a nice new experience. It seems like Capri is mostly shopping, is the scenery as nice as the coast drive?  It sounds like we may be able to do Capri on our own pretty easily. I'm not sure I want to pass a day just shopping, and wonder if it would be nice enough weather to sit out at a Cafe? The ships offers a tour of Capri and cruise of the  Amalfi coast with a stop in Amalfi. This sounds good but perhaps it would be a bit rushed, and it includes a restaurant lunch.  We'd rather grab a bite of something amazing,more informally, and have more  choice, not have to accept a set menu that might not be great. Thanks for taking time to respond, appreciate your thoughts.

I've been to Capri many times and I promise you that if in total I've spent ten minutes in shops, that's an exaggeration.  I am not a shopper.

I love to walk, I love history and I love scenery and Capri has lots of all three.  So does the Amalfi coast (well, it's a little light on the history but it's got the rest), you won't go wrong with either.

I can tell you that Capri is easier to get to and get back from, it's one easy fast ferry ride from the dock adjacent to the cruise port, it really couldn't be easier.

The two towns on Capri can get crazy busy but if you get a few steps away from the shopping and restaurant areas you can be almost alone.  That is damn near impossible on the Amalfi Coast.

You can take a private tour around the island on a boat if you'd like, or spend time on the island, there are lots of options.

In general I am a big user of public transit but Capri is one place where I'd splurge on one of their unique open top taxis.  You can get one right at the port and have them take you to the furthest point, Anacapri, then work your way back to the port from there.

This web site has great information about Capri and it's regularly updated.  One caveat, they add usury level fees so I don't suggest purchasing ferry tickets from them.  There's really no need to buy them in advance but if you feel the need to, buy them directly from the ferry operators.

Capri: Guide and Information - Book hotels and tours online

Edited by euro cruiser

Being back in Naples, in Oct, I am wondering if we should repeat our previous trip (sure to be enjoyed) or try Capri 

Should you decide on Capri,do consider going to Anacapri and ride the chairlift up to Mt Solero//Solaro?  Something like that anyway. Views going up, coming down, and at the top are just staggering, so long as you don't mind heights.

As for shopping, not only did we not have time to waste at the shops,, we could not have afforded designer shopping anyway and mostly that is what we found,(think Chanel, Valentino, Ferragamo etc) unless the pandemic has forced some to close through lack of visitors.  In fact, we found everythinbg on Capri very expensive, and as we were four at the time, were pleased we had taken picnic food and drinks with us at the suggestion of others who had pre-warned us.m Don't think we would hurry back to Capri as it was really horribly crowded the day we visited,instead, we have returned to both Pompeii and Herculaneum as more has opened up to the public since our first visits.

Should anone else reading this want something completely different, I could recommend a visit to Pozzuoli, on the outskirts of Nalpes.  When we went, we had to take a train to the end of the city railway line at Pozzuoli, nowadays the new Metro line goes there so should be easy from the port.

We visited the Flavian amphitheatre (2nd or 3rd largest I seem to remember, located in the town.  We also took a taxi from the train station up to the Solfatara, (active and with fumaroles)and caught a bus back down to the train station. I do not know where in the town the metro station is located. The solfatara is part of the Phlegraean Fields area but a car would be needed to make the most of everything the area offers. Wit the Metro, Pozzuoli town is easy without a car.

For anyone with an interest in archaeology, (there is even an underwater archaological park at nearby Baia)ancient history, volcanos etc, do read a little about the Phlegraen Fields area  and Pozzuoli.  We had spent 10 days in the Sorrento area so had time to do this in addition to the usual popular sights, but others may not have the same time or be looking for something very different. Be aware that te town was a little run down, a bit like Naples.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks Edinburgher, you have great "off the beaten track" ideas! I'm glad to hear that October is still nice around the region, Caripoo. I think we are just going to repeat our trip along the Amalfi coast and visit a couple of towns along the way. DH really wants to go back to Sorrento, Positano and maybe one other village if it can be accommodated for a relaxing kind of day. Even a  beautiful Capri video wouldn't tempt him. I'm ok with it, it seems you just can't lose no matter where you go in this location.

Hey EuroCruiser, we are there for a full 12 hr day, 7am to 7pm, which will be awesome!  Maybe we can even have time for a Pizza in Naples, lol. We will probably use Rome in Limo but I'd love to see the coast from the water if it's not too cold in Oct. We tend to avoid cruise line excursions but there are some that might work for us, still researching options

While some of the ferries have outdoor seating possibilities, generally these are sit inside conveyances (see pictures here:  La nostra flotta - Travelmar traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana) so no need to worry about being cold or of frying in the sun.

The ferry from Naples to Sorrento is the fastest way to get there but the first one doesn't leave until 9 AM, arriving at 9:45.

If a car service picks you up at 7:30 you'll be in Sorrento by 8:30 (absent any unusual traffic issues), more than an hour earlier than the ferry can get you there.  Not much will be open at that hour but you can wander around.

Another option, if you're willing to strike out on your own, is to take the train to Salerno and the ferry from there, enjoying the entire Amalfi coast from the viewpoint and comfort of the water.  No traffic jams there.

It's a 10-15 minute cab ride (or metro ride) from the port to Napoli Centrale station, followed by a 40 minute train ride to Salerno.  You could be on the ferry and heading out along the coast by 8:40, arriving to Amalfi by 9:15.

Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

Amazing info EuroCruiser!  Thanks very much.  Do you remember if the scenary from Naples to Sorrento is as nice as from Sorrento to Positano?  Whether by road or ferry (which would be new and different for us), I would like to make sure we get some beautiful and typical views.  Trying to decide if we should go further out or just make Sorrento the stopping point.

Well, you have great views of Vesuvio on the trip from Naples to Sorrento.  You're pretty far from land most of the way, if you look at a map you'll see that land transport has to go all the way around while the ferry just cuts a straight line across the bay.

Once you're out along the coast (defined as Positano to Salerno) the views of the land and the mountains are spectacular, you're never terribly far out to sea so the view is maintained.

The ferry between Sorrento and Positano is getting you around the point of the peninsula, but it's still pretty.

As for stopping at Sorrento ... I guess it depends on what you like.  I think it would be a shame to be so close and not at least see Positano.  To me Sorrento feels like a British resort with a few Italians thrown in, but that's me.  It's certainly beautiful.

Edited by euro cruiser

Is there a wait for the hydrofoil to Capri from the cruise ship dock?

Do all the cruise excursions take the seats on the first few ferries and you have to wait for a later ferry?

I want to go to Capri in Oct as an excursion as well but I'm wondering about the time and if it may be better to to the cruise ship excursion options? Which is better, doing it yourself of jumping an excursion to get you there and back with maximum time on Capri?

Thanks!

On 4/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, cleobella said:

Thanks Edinburgher, you have great "off the beaten track" ideas! I'm glad to hear that October is still nice around the region, Caripoo. I think we are just going to repeat our trip along the Amalfi coast and visit a couple of towns along the way. DH really wants to go back to Sorrento, Positano and maybe one other village if it can be accommodated for a relaxing kind of day. Even a  beautiful Capri video wouldn't tempt him. I'm ok with it, it seems you just can't lose no matter where you go in this location.

Try to talk DH out of Sorrento. It ain't what it used to be.  Instead, go to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. All stunningly beautiful and far more interesting than Sorrento. You have plenty of time for all three with your long port day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, K2G said:

Is there a wait for the hydrofoil to Capri from the cruise ship dock?

Do all the cruise excursions take the seats on the first few ferries and you have to wait for a later ferry?

I want to go to Capri in Oct as an excursion as well but I'm wondering about the time and if it may be better to to the cruise ship excursion options? Which is better, doing it yourself of jumping an excursion to get you there and back with maximum time on Capri?

It's generally not an issue but if you would feel better having a ticket in hand, you can purchase them on line directly from the ferry operators.

There are fast ferries at 8:05, 8:35 and 9:10.  There's no way all three of them will sell out but if you want to be on the first one just send one member of your party over to the ticket office as soon as you can get off the ship.

• Thanks 1