Port to La Spezia train station?

dleafy

Hi all,

last time we visited Pisa in 2014, we were on Indy and docked at Livorno.

in two weeks were on Wonder of the seas and docking at la Spezia.

does anyone know the best way to the train station from the port. It looks to be around a mile and a half walk, but one of us has a dodgy knee.

mare there any buses?…. Are taxis readily available?

cheers

Dave

Assuming that the process hasn't changed there will be a port bus from the ship to the terminal first.  The walk from that terminal to La Spezia Centrale is 1.9 km/one and a quarter miles.  There will be taxis there but, as in other ports, there is a question about whether they will take a short fare.

There is a bus stop on the other side of Piazza Europa (270 meters/two-tenths of a mile from the cruise terminal), on Via Veneto.  It's a major stop, it seems like every bus in La Spezia stops there.  

The 6, 9, 17, 22, 23, 28, S or L buses stop right in front of La Spezia Centrale, the 3, 6, 13, 15, and 16 all stop on Via Fiume, a short block from the station but from this stop you have to climb a flight of stairs up to the station, so you might want to wait for one of the first group.  There are so many options, it won't be a long wait.

The moovit app is very good for La Spezia, with it you can see upcoming buses, routes, etc.

• Like 1

Few more details on the bus:

Can purchase tickets (currently 1.5 euro) via dropticket  app.

Bus line 3 seems to service Comune bus stop to Fiume FS bus stop pretty frequently and is about a 10 minute / 7 stop ride.

Edited by EPTCB

6 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Again, note that the stop for line 3 requires walking up a flight of stairs to the station.  Several other buses go directly to the station, avoiding the stairs.

I looked at the routes and times of all the bus line numbers you listed in post #2 on the ATC site. I may have been reading the schedules incorrectly but the only line that I saw with frequent buses from Comune stop to either La Spezia FS or Fiume FS was line 3 (and that stops at Fiume FS which is actually below the station requiring climbing a set of stairs). Looking at the Comune bus stop on google, it appears that the scheduled stops for all the lines stopping there are listed so I'll give that a look when I get to the stop. For now, I am comfortable that line 3 will get me pretty close to where I need to be in a timely fashion and that I can expect to see one of those come by every 10 minutes or so. 

You are correct that the #3 has the most frequent service, but I would simply take the list with me and get on the first one that arrives, rather than wait for a specific bus.

Expect for the OP, who specifically mentioned walking problems and for whom the stairs up from the Via Fiume stop could be a problem.

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You are correct that the #3 has the most frequent service, but I would simply take the list with me and get on the first one that arrives, rather than wait for a specific bus.

Expect for the OP, who specifically mentioned walking problems and for whom the stairs up from the Via Fiume stop could be a problem.

I believe the bus stop you are recommending is the Comune stop in front of the Cattedrale di Cristo Re. Is this correct? If so, which line that stops at Comune goes direct to La Spezia FS?

If I am reading your original post correctly, you seem to be saying that line 6 stops at both La Spezia FS and Fiume FS while when I look at ATC schedule as best I can tell that line stops at neither and line 6 is not listed on the Comune bus stop board (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.107707,9.8275958,3a,15y,220.41h,94.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ8mw35_zmJpl-yi6_s0mfQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656).

Line 9 does stop at La Spezia FS but that line doesn't stop at Comune but rather Ospedale (which is  twice the walk as Comune) and line 9 stops at Ospedale at best about once hourly so if one misses that one and has a tight train schedule they could find themselves out of luck (https://moovitapp.com/la_spezia_e_lunigiana-2743/lines/9/345417/2371008/en?epochDay=19116&customerId=4908&ref=2&poiType=line).

Edited by EPTCB

There's no point in walking to Ospedale.

Please don't use that google picture as a guide, it's four years old.

As I said, have the list in hand of the buses that stop at the train station and get on the first one that arrives, or just wait for the one you feel sure of.  It's a major bus stop, there will probably be an electronic sign that tells you which buses are arriving and how long before they arrive.

I'm hopping in on this one too. I hope that's okay. 

I have a couple questions:

1.) If we take the train to Vernazzo, can we hop on/hop off to come back down to La Spezia while stopping at Corniglia and Manarola? 

2.) And/or can we catch a ferry from Vernazzo that allows us to also stop Corniglia and Manarola?

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

There is the Cinque Terre card that allows unlimited use of regional trains between La Spezia and the villages:  Cinque Terre Card

There are various different tickets for the ferries, here is the 2022 price list: Paesi delle Cinque Terre.indd (navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it)

Thanks so much @euro cruiser! I so appreciate all the information and help planning this trip.

We defer to euro cruiser as the expert.

Just wanted to share our DIY, May 6, 2022, experience from the eyes of first-timers in La Spezia.

Goal: Visit 3 of the villages in Cinque Terre.

We got off the Odyssey at 8 am. There were free shuttles shipside that took us to the cruise terminal...took about 5 minutes.

We had no clue which direction to walk to the train station (La Spezia Centrale) and politely asked for directions.

We walked through a palm-lined promenade.  After the last palm tree, we turned right and crossed the street, and walk through a park.

After exiting the park, we crossed the street and found ourselves on Garibaldi (a major street lined with many shops and restaurants.) Tourist Information office was closed so we simply followed the signs/directions pointing to the train station. Note: The last 2 blocks, we followed a couple pulling luggages...that took us right into the train station. 

We were at the train station at 8:40 am. The Cinque Terre train card was 18 20 Euros for unlimited use of the trains between the 5 villages. * My favorite part...the train ticket gave us free access to restrooms/toilets.. would've cost 1Euro per visit.

The first train was at 8:55 am, platform 5, and we decided to visit Monterosso, Manarola, and Riomagiorre (sorry for the spelling). The weather this day was rainy and chilly...but we found each of the 3 villages lively and crowded.

It was 1pm when we decided to call it the day and take the train back to La Spezia.

Summary

* The train ride between villages are short and quick. For example...Manarola to Riomagiorre was 2 minutes.

* The views, with the rain, were absolutely breathtaking. 

* Walking can be difficult...hillside villages with steep hills and many steps.

We had a truly memorable day. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 12:51 AM, bonsai3s said:

Just wanted to share our DIY, May 6, 2022, experience from the eyes of first-timers in La Spezia.

We got off the Odyssey at 8 am. There were free shuttles shipside that took us to the cruise terminal...took about 5 minutes.

We had no clue which direction to walk to the train station (La Spezia Centrale) and politely asked for directions.

We walked through a palm-lined promenade.  After the last palm tree, we turned right and crossed the street, and walk through a park.

After exiting the park, we crossed the street and found ourselves on Garibaldi (a major street lined with many shops and restaurants.) Tourist Information office was closed so we simply followed the signs/directions pointing to the train station. Note: The last 2 blocks, we followed a couple pulling luggages...that took us right into the train station. 

We were at the train station at 8:40 am. The Cinque Terre train card was 18 20 Euros for unlimited use of the trains between the 5 villages. * My favorite part...the train ticket gave us free access to restrooms/toilets.. would've cost 1Euro per visit.

The first train was at 8:55 am, platform 5, and we decided to visit Monterosso, Manarola, and Riomagiorre (sorry for the spelling). The weather this day was rainy and chilly...but we found each of the 3 villages lively and crowded.

It was 1pm when we decided to call it the day and take the train back to La Spezia.

Summary

* The train ride between villages are short and quick. For example...Manarola to Riomagiorre was 2 minutes.

Thank you for this description - we will be there in two weeks and this is very helpful. Glad you had such a good visit.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, travelsoftwo said:

Thank you for this description - we will be there in two weeks and this is very helpful. Glad you had such a good visit.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, bonsai3s said:

Summary

Thanks for this, will be doing likewise in May of this year aboard the Celebrity Edge.

53 minutes ago, CINGULARONE said:

Thanks for this, will be doing likewise in May of this year aboard the Celebrity Edge.

Happy sailing!

* Upon reflection, we could've easily visited all 5 villages...our ship didn't leave until 5:30.

* Bring a photo ID...they asked for it at the train station. (Not sure why)