Port to La Spezia train station?

dleafy

7 minutes ago, Va Gi said:

@Hlitner Thank you! We are definitely getting this pass. 

Just a hint that while many folks plan on visiting all 5 villages (on a port day) that can be a bridge too far kind of thing.  On most of our visits we limit ourselves to no more than 3 villages (even when on land trips when we have no time constraints).  My advice is to prioritize the villages in case you run out of time.

I will again post a warning about Corniglia (one of my favorite villages).  Visiting this village will involve a lot of extra time since nearly everyone uses the small shuttle bus to get from the train station up to town.  In theory, it can be walked (lots of steep steps) but few want to do that uphill hike.  The problem is the lone shuttle bus is quite small and only runs every 20-30 minutes.  If its a crowded day, you may not be able to get on the first bus which makes that wait too darn long.  Because of this problem it is the least visited village (which is one reason why it is our favorite).

Hank

1 hour ago, Va Gi said:

If I were to buy 2 bus tickets (1 to go and 1 to come back), does that mean I can only use it the day that I purchase them? Do buying tickets in advance ever expire? 

The tickets become "live" when you stamp them upon boarding the bus.  Be sure to do this!  Only stamp the one for the trip you are on, that starts the clock for its validity.

I don't know specifically about the La Spezia paper tickets, in other places an unstamped paper ticket is usually good for about a year.

On 6/12/2024 at 3:55 AM, euro cruiser said:

A single use bus ticket is 1,50 euro.  You can buy a paper ticket at local stores or download the app and buy through that.  For a visitor the paper ticket makes more sense unless you like adding apps to your phone for use once or twice.

Ask at the cruise terminal where the closest place is to buy a ticket.  You can see the list of authorized retailers here but it's easier to just ask:  Microsoft Word - RIVENDITE_X SITO 070519.doc (atcesercizio.it)

The stop closest to the cruise terminal is called Comune and it's located across the park from the terminal (with your back to the water, walk across the street, across the park, across the piazza to Via Vittorio Veneto.  Cross to the opposite side of the street and take either bus #3, #12 or #19, whichever comes first.

But honestly, if you're up to it, it's easier and probably faster to just walk.  La Spezia Centrale is one and a quarter miles on foot from the cruise terminal, about a half hour of walking for most people. 

ATC, the bus company, has some information in English on their site.  You can see the bus schedules there:  ATC TIMETABLE | ATC Esercizio

I have surfed into a lot of webpages and haven't already found where to buy tickets near the port.

Does it means taxi drivers have requested not to sell near the port so people must use a taxi?. I do not know, but I checked all locations and there's nothing near the port.

Conversely, from the station to the port there are several places where to buy it.

And they point they do not sell onboard

On 6/13/2024 at 2:19 PM, Va Gi said:

Thank you for this! If I were to buy 2 bus tickets (1 to go and 1 to come back), does that mean I can only use it the day that I purchase them? Do buying tickets in advance ever expire? Thanks for your continuous help!

One journey ticket. If you wanna they sell 24h tickets but they do not worth if you are going to Cinque Terre.

I will be in Cinque Terre by 10 days

The bookstore in front of the Comune stop is one of the ticket outlets, Libreria Paoline, Via Veneto 33.

A few doors down the street at #15 the bar also sells tickets.

It's really not that hard to find them, and there's no conspiracy to hide them from you.

• Like 1