First time in Spain looking for must see/do

shadowlover

We just visited Madrid a couple of weeks ago prior to our Douro river cruise, and loved it very much. It was our first time in Spain too. Viking put us up in the Hyatt Regency Hesperia, which was in the financial district of town, but a short walk to the Metro. The Metro was super clean and very user-friendly too, BTW. We used it to get everywhere! Things to know - when you buy your initial pass, they (like Paris) have a ten ride deal that is a good value. You will need to pay a couple of Euros to purchase the plastic card, but it is re-loadable, and you only need one card for your group. If more that one of you are using it, simply pass it back and each person scans the card. There is no scan at the exit turnstiles.

We spent most of our time near the Plaza Mayor area, and enjoyed wandering around the side streets, etc. And we did a quick visit to the Reina Sofia museum to see Picasso's "Guernica." We happened to do this on a Sunday while they have free entry, but they close at 2:30 on Sundays so we only had about an hour. Glad that we made the effort though.

Madrid was clean, seemed very safe and tons to do. Just be careful of pickpockets and of the typical tourist scams.

Enjoy!

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Madrid.  If you are into art museums, check out the Prado, the Thyssen-Bornemiza (close to the Prado) and the Reina Sofia (for a contemporary and modern art).  There is a discount pass that includes all three museum.  My favorite museum in the whole city is the Sorolla Museum. The Royal Palace is fun and so is the Plaza Mayor (good place for souvenir shopping and to sit over a coffee in the open air).

Plan time for walking around whatever city you are in, to soak up the atmosphere and to checkout the architecture. 

Day trips: Toledo is first on my list; see the cathedral if nothing else. If you are into the artist El Greco , his "The Burial of the Count of Orgaz" is on display in one of the churches; should be easy to find in a guide book. Two big things in Toledo are are sword making and the gold on black jewelry making (shills will gladly take you to the factory they work for; better to check out the guidebooks for the name of a quality place).

The other easy to get to place is Segovia.  See the Roman aqueduct and the castle. In both places, take time to wonder aimlessly soaking up the atmosphere and to enjoy coffee or a glass of wine in a local cafe while you watch the world go by. There is a really old restaurant right by the aqueduct, reservations needed. Definitely an experience if it is still in business.   

Barcelona: Sagrada Familia is number one on everybody's list.  After that, check out the cathedral and the Barrio Gotico that surrounds it.  Take a tour of the Palau de Musica. Shop at the Boqueria Market.  Buy saffron to take home and wine to consume on board the ship but don't bother with any of the restaurants (overpriced, over salted).   If you have the time and the energy, go to Montserrat.

Barcelona art museums include the National Museum of Art, the Picasso Museum and the Miro Foundation.  Again, don't forget time for wander around and for sitting in a cafe watching the world go by. 

BTW. If you need a supermarket, there is a very nice one just up the Ramblas from the Boqueria.  We have stopped there a couple of times to buy shampoo and other liquids that we didn't want to bother packing. 

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

In Barcelona take a guided tour of  some of the Gaudi  houses. I used Barcelona Day tours. 

I loved the Natiaol Art Museum, the Picasso one not so much but they had a great gift shop. Walk around the old part of town to the Cathedral.  Go to the dept store at Placa Catalunya, Cortes Ingles. in the basement is a wine bar. Have a glass of cava and some tapas.  Their stools are  wine corks. Very cool place in the midst of the grocery dept. 

• Thanks 1

I definately "second" the Barcelona comments.  Get skip-the-line tickets with audio guide for La Sagrada Familia and go early morning of late afternoon/evening when the light is streaming through the stained glass windows.  Gaudi's Casa Mila, Casa Batlo and Parc Guell are worth a visit. All require timed entry tickets.  The Abbey at Montserrat is awesome.  Barcelona Day Tours is great for small group tour so for half or full day excursions.  They do the sights of Barcelona and combination of Montserrat/Winery or Montserrat/La Sagrada Familia.  They will have timed entry to view the Black Madonna at Montserrat for you and skip the line La Sagrada tickets.  They are vety responsive to email inquiries.  Go direct not through Trip Advisor.

AND in both cities (Madrid and Barcelona) watch your belongings.  No wallets in back pockets, backpacks and purses worn on chest, beware of offers to help you and women with children who are sent to distract you while another robs.  Be aware of your surroundings at all times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Museu d'Història de la Ciutat (MUHBA) - Museum of Urban History -  I would check out the description of this museum in Barcelona. Well worth the time if you are interested in Roman ruins. We found it fascinating and overlooked since there is so much to do in Barcelona.

Irati Taverna Basca: our favorite tapas bar in Barcelona

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Go to the dept store at Placa Catalunya, Cortes Ingles.

Not just the wine bar but a food court and a supermarket as well -- not to mention an entire department store a la Gimbel's, Macy's and all the classic down-town, multi-storied department stores of our youth. It is fun just to walk through.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not just the wine bar but a food court and a supermarket as well -- not to mention an entire department store a la Gimbel's, Macy's and all the classic down-town, multi-storied department stores of our youth. It is fun just to walk through.

Yes, a true department store, and like you said a food court and supermarket. 

On the morning of my very first cruise, I realized my suitcase zipper was broken. We had stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer for three days before our cruise ,  only half a block from the store.   So my BIL and I walked over to Cortes Ingles and I bought a big 29" suitcase with the "new' rollers. I still use it occasionally. This was back in 2008.

• Like 1