Cancelled CHEERS - refund question

JenWag

I cancelled CHEERS (online) for an upcoming cruise.  Does anyone have experience with the amount of time it takes for the refund to show up on my debit card?

Thank you.

I canceled Cheers once after I was already on board because I got sick (stomach issues) and it was refunded by the end of the cruise. However, at different times, it may take longer. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

It used to be straight forward and easy-peasy, I'm having a heck of a time this time though due to gift cards. Before, you cancel and they auto refund to your original purchase form or fed-ex you gift cards if you paid with them. I canceled two cheers for my wife and myself many weeks back and have been given the run around. I waited like I had in the past but never received the fed-ex  package so I called in, spoke to an agent, who spoke to the fun shops, who confirmed the details and that the new gift card(s) would need to be sent.

Wait weeks and nada, call again and get a nice agent April P. (fun expert) and she seems to understand the issue but the fun shops were reporting that they put the money back on the original e-gift cards (which they have never done before) so we go through some motions trying to figure out if that happened (it didn't, cards have $0 and are not re-loadable anyway) so she contacts some gift card folks and that was essential useless so she said she'd need to contact accounting and get it straightened out and would get back to me by today. That didn't happen either so I shot out an email and am still waiting with a cruise only a few weeks away. 

I'm thinking they must have hired a bunch of new folks that don't really know all the minor details like the old well oiled machine they had pre-covid. I've even tried to explain to them that the gift cards (especially third party clearing house cards like AARP/Allstate ect.) can't be reloaded or reused in any way. They also seem to think Carnival is now issuing egift cards back to folks in this situation and that has never been the case in the past, it's always been fed-ex shipped hard cards and it's usually automatic and quick. This has been quite a hassle and as the cruise grows near, I fear some options I might have wanted to use the funds on will be sold out. It's been frustrating to be sure.   

Edited by cruisingguy007

On 12/30/2022 at 5:33 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

It used to be straight forward and easy-peasy, I'm having a heck of a time this time though due to gift cards. Before, you cancel and they auto refund to your original purchase form or fed-ex you gift cards if you paid with them. I canceled two cheers for my wife and myself many weeks back and have been given the run around. I waited like I had in the past but never received the fed-ex  package so I called in, spoke to an agent, who spoke to the fun shops, who confirmed the details and that the new gift card(s) would need to be sent.

Wait weeks and nada, call again and get a nice agent April P. (fun expert) and she seems to understand the issue but the fun shops were reporting that they put the money back on the original e-gift cards (which they have never done before) so we go through some motions trying to figure out if that happened (it didn't, cards have $0 and are not re-loadable anyway) so she contacts some gift card folks and that was essential useless so she said she'd need to contact accounting and get it straightened out and would get back to me by today. That didn't happen either so I shot out an email and am still waiting with a cruise only a few weeks away. 

I'm thinking they must have hired a bunch of new folks that don't really know all the minor details like the old well oiled machine they had pre-covid. I've even tried to explain to them that the gift cards (especially third party clearing house cards like AARP/Allstate ect.) can't be reloaded or reused in any way. They also seem to think Carnival is now issuing egift cards back to folks in this situation and that has never been the case in the past, it's always been fed-ex shipped hard cards and it's usually automatic and quick. This has been quite a hassle and as the cruise grows near, I fear some options I might have wanted to use the funds on will be sold out. It's been frustrating to be sure.   

I understand your frustration since I've been waiting for a refund since 10/1 when my catamaran excursion was cancelled due to weather.  I paid on VISA prior to cruise and the credit showed on my Sail & Sign card but it's been over 3 months and even VISA cannot get anything from them other than a form letter stating that "goods were received in good condition".  VISA at first credited me but when they got the form letter, they put charge back on.  I disputed the charge and they again credited me but surprise, surprise CCL sent another form letter as before so now the charge is back on.  So unfair that they only have form letters and there is no way to talk to a human.  A credit of $199 was due to me at end of cruise on 10/8 and had I known I'd be ignored for 3 months, I would have bought something in the shops before disembarking.

1 hour ago, Kellyann said:

I understand your frustration since I've been waiting for a refund since 10/1 when my catamaran excursion was cancelled due to weather.  I paid on VISA prior to cruise and the credit showed on my Sail & Sign card but it's been over 3 months and even VISA cannot get anything from them other than a form letter stating that "goods were received in good condition".  VISA at first credited me but when they got the form letter, they put charge back on.  I disputed the charge and they again credited me but surprise, surprise CCL sent another form letter as before so now the charge is back on.  So unfair that they only have form letters and there is no way to talk to a human.  A credit of $199 was due to me at end of cruise on 10/8 and had I known I'd be ignored for 3 months, I would have bought something in the shops before disembarking.

I'm still waiting and haven't gotten a reply. I guess I'll phone in again tomorrow. 

21 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'm still waiting and haven't gotten a reply. I guess I'll phone in again tomorrow. 

If you are able to get a human voice, then please tell me a phone number.  The only thing I get no matter what buttons I push is them telling me my questions can get answered on their web site under "FAQ".  Well they don't have the answer to my issue so I'm just screwed I guess.

1 minute ago, Kellyann said:

If you are able to get a human voice, then please tell me a phone number.  The only thing I get no matter what buttons I push is them telling me my questions can get answered on their web site under "FAQ".  Well they don't have the answer to my issue so I'm just screwed I guess.

1-800-845-2599, press nothing and wait. It will transfer you to a human.