Port Shuttles??

meemo

We have our first Holland America cruise coming up in June!!  Does HAL provide any shuttles in port from the cruise ship docks into the city center??  If so, what do they usually charge?  Thanks for any help.

We will be on the 24 day cruise on Nieuw Statendam to Norway, Iceland, Scotland, germany, Sweden and Denmark.  Later this year we will also be on the Noordam to Alaska.

As a general rule, no, HA does not provide free shuttle service. For some ports, you may be able to purchase an excursion that is either a hop-on, hop-off bus or, in some

cases, an excursion may optionally drop you off somewhere else, with the understanding you are responsible for getting back to the ship.

The Alaska cruise would only need a shuttle in one or two ports, and they are usually provided by the port.

There are 3 criteria to consider regarding shuttles. Some ports don't require them...the ship docks close enough to town. Some ports the city or port provides them, typically at no cost, but sometimes at a cost. Lastly, the possibility that HAL will provide a shuttle. Again, sometimes HAL provides them free, sometimes for a fee.

Without specifying ports, hard to answer your questions, without us doing the research for you.

I have looked into a Hop On Hop Off bus but from reviews that I have seen it seems that many times there is no room on the bus to hop back on.  Also, I know that Iceland doesn't have Uber.  I have been trying to research, but not always sure where to look.  Taxi seems like a good option but I can't always tell on the websites if they need to be booked in advance or not.  

I have looked all over HAL website and couldn't see any mention of a port shuttle in places that may be needed.  

Edited by meemo

Towns do want you to visit them, so they do try to offer "something" if the port is remote.  Each port however is so different as well as last minute changes to the actual dock used, so it is hard to say anything specific up front.  

We have also found the shore excursion people will try to arrange "something", because there is no point leaving people on the ship all day when arriving at a more remote port. Often this may not announced until the night before, if there is enough interest shown in getting shuttles.  Cruise ships also have to run interference with local taxi unions, who want to corner the business as well.

In Homer Alaska, the school bus ladies ran their yellow school buses as cruise ship shuttles during the day, for a small fee.  That was probably the most unusual shuttle we had. 

Good topic for your Roll Call group to share for each of your upcoming cruises as there may be others who have done this itinerary in the past, who can offer more specific information.

• Thanks 1