Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

Thank you for all advice and info.  After reading negative reviews about shared shuttle,we have decided to take the train.  We are staying in Hotel Smeraldo and plan to take taxi to Termini station monday Nov 4 to Civitavecchia port.  Is Termini the best station ?  Are there train strikes on Monday?  Thank You 

Termini is the only station if you're taking a Frecce.  If you're taking an IC train you can go to either Termini or Ostiense, I'd probably choose Ostiense as it's smaller and less confusing (but about equidistant from your hotel).  If you'll be on a regional train you have the best chance of getting a seat at Termini, the start of the line.  Be sure to tell the driver you want to be let off at the Lazio regional tracks, not the main station, as they are three blocks apart from one another.

I would seriously consider the Frecce trains for ease and comfort (larger seats, assigned seating, more room for luggage, no stops between Rome and Civitavecchia).  The ICs are good as well, for the same reasons (but there is one stop at Rome Ostiense after Termini, then no more until Civitavecchia).

There are no strikes on the schedule right now for 4 Novembre, but it's early.  Check again closer to the date: Scioperi - mit2

Hi All

Im disembarking NCL Prima on October 18th and wondering how easy it is to get from the ship to FCO airport via train? 

are the shuttle buses to the train station frequent and reliable? 

trains seems regular and cost effective but I’m worried about getting from the ship to the train station. 

thanks 

6 minutes ago, 4Molly said:

Thank you for advice on Frecce train and Lazio reginal tracks.  How soon would you advise to buy tickets. Can I wait till day ove or need to buy in advance?  Thanks

There is no need, nor any point, in purchasing a regional train ticket in advance.  These trains cannot sell out and the price never changes.

For IC and Frecce trains, which are seat assigned and therefore can sell out, you can save money by purchasing in advance (usually to save it has to be at least 48 hours in advance).  I can't be bothered with the process to buy online so I wait until I'm in country and purchase then, but I'm only purchasing one so the savings doesn't add up to much for me.  I'll be taking the train from the airport into the city when I arrive prior to my cruise, so I'll buy the ticket to Civitavecchia then.

Edited by euro cruiser

4 hours ago, zjc said:

Hi All

Im disembarking NCL Prima on October 18th and wondering how easy it is to get from the ship to FCO airport via train? 

are the shuttle buses to the train station frequent and reliable? 

Yes, the six-euro shuttle from the ship to the station is reliable and efficient.

Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Yes, you'll have no problem buying a ticket on Nov. 1st for a trip on the 4th.

Most ticket sales in the station now happen at multi-language kiosks rather than at a ticket window, which are mostly used for changes/refunds/problems.

It's easy enough to review your options and make your decision before arriving at the station, where making the purchase is easy enough with the English language prompts in the software.

You can look at the schedule now on the Trenitalia website:  EN - Trenitalia

I would always check again a few days prior just to see if something has changed, but that's pretty rare.  The schedules are set for six months at a time and rarely deviate from the plan.

These are the options for the morning of Monday, 4 November:

image.png

image.png.1e775b223aabef0d65b7bc55eca017d7.png

image.png.79e0d29ddc57283a39eeccc7f0417289.png

You have only two options for a seat-assigned train (or at most three if you have a late check-in time), the IC at 9:57 or the Frecce at 11:57 (there is also the 13:57 Frecce if you have a late check in time).

All of the rest of the trains are regionals, with no seat assignments.  These are the trains that use the Lazio regional tracks, not the main station.

Edited by euro cruiser