Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

Posted (edited)

There is also an express train at 9:16, arriving to Rome Termini at 10:03.  Most ships insist you be off by about 9:30 so they can turn it around, so I'd aim for the earlier express (Frecce) train rather than hang around town for a couple of hours. 

Even if your hotel in Rome isn't ready for you when you arrive, they will hold your luggage.  If you're staying in a place other than a hotel, there is a left luggage office at Rome Termini, you can store your things there and pick them up later in the day when you're ready to check into your accommodations.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 4:23 PM, jjt said:

I just booked a roundtrip cruise for our family of five out of Civitavecchia and started reading this board for transportation advice. We arrive into FCO the afternoon before the cruise and plan to spend 3 days in Rome after the cruise before flying home. Based on what I've read it sounds like the best plan after the ship returns is to take the train from the port to the Roma Termini and stay in a hotel close by. I checked and there are tickets from Civitavecchia, but not from the port. However, it sounds like I can just take the bus over to the train station and pay the bus driver (credit card?).

What about before the cruise? Should I go directly to Civitavecchia from the airport? I am leaning that way to make the logistics easier and to also make sure we don't miss the ship. Also, it seems like there are some interesting sites and things to do near the port. If we do this, what is the best way to get there? Thanks!

I'm also planning to go straight to Civitavecchia from FCO as I've been to Rome multiple times. You would think it would be easier to get straight to Civitavecchia but most trains (& busses) go into Rome & back out to Civitavecchia. I've been trying to find the simplest way to get there allowing time to get my luggage & find the correct stop & it looks like I'll miss the direct bus once every 4 hours. Can anyone advise easier for solo traveler to transfer Ostiense or Trastevere station? 

On 3/23/2024 at 7:54 PM, Hlitner said:

I want to mention a real life scenario.  On one visit to Civitavecchia, DW and I made our way to the train station (we probably walked from the pier), bought a BIRG ticket, and were heading to the platform to catch the next regional train which was just arriving at the station.  We passed some folks from our cruise who were sitting on a bench and made a quick stop to see if they needed help.  They told us they had pre-purchased IC tickets (to Rome), had reserved seats, and were waiting for their train which was running nearly an hour late.  In the time those folks waited, they would have missed at least 3 regional trains/Freece.  Their train into Rome was, perhaps, 20 minutes faster, but it also took away some of the other train stations (such as Trastevere).  Those folks wasted more than an hour of their day in Rome waiting for that "faster" train.

We have long preached a simple rule of independent travel, which is to try and keep the maximum flexibility and be willing to change your plans "on the fly."

Hank

Ive always been a believer of plan, plan, plan, then be prepared to change your plans as needed!

• Like 1