Civitavecchia (port) // Rome by Train 2024: Your questions answered here!

euro cruiser

42 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I would have gladly paid 6E for a bus to Civi station!   well worth it for the time and convenience of ship to Civi station. It's a new option this yr so it wasn't available for us. 

But if you don't want to pay the 6E, you can do what we did; take the free shuttle to the port entrance then catch a city bus to Civi station for a euro or 2.

We ended our day at the Colosseum. Took a cab to the Ostiense station. $10-$15, maybe 10 minutes..  I'm sure we could have found a bus or subway, but again, the time and convenience were important. Plus the comfort!

We took 2 or 3 cabs that day, well worthwhile. 

Oh, someone said it was 25.00 pp! 6E is nothing. Did you take a train to the Colosseum? If so, which one?

5 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

If you take a Frecce train to Rome Termini, get off there and go downstairs to the metro, line B, direction Laurentina.  Get off at the second exit, Colosseo.  As you exit the station you'll be staring at the Colosseum, right across the street.

Map of regional rail and metro lines here:  mappa ferro e tram (giu 2022) (atac.roma.it)

If you take a regionale train, get off at Roma Ostiense and follow signs for the Piramide metro station (there is an underground passage).  Take the metro, Line B, direction Jonio or Rebibbia, for two stops to Colosseo.

Is there an easier way to get there directly? Train straight to the Colosseo?

36 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Oh, someone said it was 25.00 pp! 6E is nothing. Did you take a train to the Colosseum? If so, which one?

Are you conflating the RCCL shuttle and the public bus?  I'm guessing the RCCL shuttle is probably 25.00; the public bus is 6.00 euros.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If the Metro is too overwhelming, you can walk from Termini to the Colosseum or if time is of the essence you can get a taxi from Termini. After all, you only have a day.

I thought there was one that left at 9:10? Civi express?? I'm lost on the website. Just has leaving each hour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Are you conflating the RCCL shuttle and the public bus?  I'm guessing the RCCL shuttle is probably 25.00; the public bus is 6.00 euros.

Thought public bus was 2e?

I think you are spinning. Take a breath.

There are a number of moving parts.

Starting with the trains, Trenitalia (which serves Civitavecchia) has various classes of trains:

The "Regionale" (R) trains are basically like commuter trains, almost like a subway in that there are no reserved seats and people are free to stand in the cars. They are mainly intended for daily commuters. They depart frequently throughout the day in each direction between Rome and Civitavecchia.

There are also Inner-City (IC) and Frecce (F) trains, both of which have reserved seats. The Frecce trains are the premium express trains -- they are fast and have fewer stops.

However, from Civitavecchia there is also a special "Express" train that is primarily laid on for cruise ship passengers trying to get from Civitavecchia to Rome. It also has limited stops.

NONE OF THESE STOP DIRECTLY AT THE COLOSSEUM.

@euro cruiser is pretty much an expert on the Express trains, I haven't kept up with the info as I haven't used them. But if you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll find a lot of info there which probably answers your questions.

Regarding getting to the train station in Civi, this post should answer your questions about the regular shuttle options:  https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

As you will read, the first option "Direct Cruise/Railway Station Service" is 6 euros per person and is far easier than trying to get the free port shuttle to the entrance and then the 2 euro public bus to the train station.

Of course, this does not include info on the RCL shuttle, if there is one. You'd need to ask on the RCL board about that. Sometimes it takes awhile for ship-sponsored shuttles to be up and running....

Edited by cruisemom42

OK, I don't have a question about the trains to Rome, so I'm sorry to jump in here and interrupt.

We will be coming back to Civi port from a cruise and moving to another cruise the same day. Both are Princess cruises. We'll be coming in on the Island Princess and leaving later that day on the Enchanted.  This will be on Dec 8, this year.

Some of you replying to train questions seem very familiar with the port. I am just wondering if we will be able to drag our bags from the Island over to the Enchanted or if that requires a shuttle? Maybe Princess will do this for us, but I doubt it.

I've looked at some Port maps, thinking maybe Princess had a terminal but it doesn't look like they have their own. The Island is much smaller than the Enchanted, so I'm guessing they will be at very different piers. I just need to know what we should expect when we try to move from the Island to the Enchanted.

Thanks for any help and sorry for interrupting.

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

Rather than take this thread off topic, simply start a new thread.  That will be helpful to others who may have the same question as you do, but would never find it buried here.

Probably true but I thought I could get a quick reply.

You're probably right though, thanks.

On 7/20/2023 at 11:23 AM, bigsky said:

So many questions....where do we get off at going to the Colesseum? I don't know what time we'll get to the station, so not sure what time to get our tickets for in advance? Our ship docks at 7am. I was thinking of purchasing (over priced) shuttle to the train station so we don't have to worry about walking in the heat. Figuring this might give us some priority to gettig off the ship. ??? 

I took my very first day trip to Rome last year from Wonder of the Seas, which is exactly the same itinerary/times as Symphony this year. Based on some of the expert advice I received on CC and my own research, here's what I did, which was absolutely not stressful:

1. Got off the ship around 7:30 am.  Took shuttle (6 euros) direct to train station
  2. Took the 8:44 regional train into Rome. Easily found two seats, as it wasn't that crowded (in mid-Sept).
  3. Got off at Ostiense station.  Went to take the underground tunnel to Piramide metro station and it was closed for construction.  Had a moment of freaking out, then simply walked upstairs and outside and walked the block to metro station.
  4. Took subway to Colosseo station. I had tickets booked in advance for 10:30 entrance time and was easily there 20 minutes in advance of the tour start.
  5. Around 4:00 pm after a day of touring, took the subway back to Termini station. Caught the 4:57 Frecce train back to Civitavecchia port (having the reserved seat in a quiet car was a nice way to end the day).  Made it back to the ship by 6:30 pm, in plenty of time before departure.

I liked it so much, am going back this year on the Symphony cruise in October to catch many of the sights I didn't have time for on the first trip.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Starting with the trains, Trenitalia (which serves Civitavecchia) has various classes of trains:

The "Regionale" (R) trains are basically like commuter trains, almost like a subway in that there are no reserved seats and people are free to stand in the cars. They are mainly intended for daily commuters. They depart frequently throughout the day in each direction between Rome and Civitavecchia.

There are also Inner-City (IC) and Frecce (F) trains, both of which have reserved seats. The Frecce trains are the premium express trains -- they are fast and have fewer stops.

However, from Civitavecchia there is also a special "Express" train that is primarily laid on for cruise ship passengers trying to get from Civitavecchia to Rome. It also has limited stops.

@euro cruiser is pretty much an expert on the Express trains, I haven't kept up with the info as I haven't used them. But if you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll find a lot of info there which probably answers your questions.

Regarding getting to the train station in Civi, this post should answer your questions about the regular shuttle options:  https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

As you will read, the first option "Direct Cruise/Railway Station Service" is 6 euros per person and is far easier than trying to get the free port shuttle to the entrance and then the 2 euro public bus to the train station.

Of course, this does not include info on the RCL shuttle, if there is one. You'd need to ask on the RCL board about that. Sometimes it takes awhile for ship-sponsored shuttles to be up and running....

haha...yes, need to breath. This is all last minute for me since we were supposed to do a tour and they had to cancel since we didn't have enough from the ship booking the tour. We leave a little over a week. 

On 7/21/2023 at 12:39 PM, TheHawk1 said:

I took my very first day trip to Rome last year from Wonder of the Seas, which is exactly the same itinerary/times as Symphony this year. Based on some of the expert advice I received on CC and my own research, here's what I did, which was absolutely not stressful:

1. Got off the ship around 7:30 am.  Took shuttle (6 euros) direct to train station
  2. Took the 8:44 regional train into Rome. Easily found two seats, as it wasn't that crowded (in mid-Sept).
  3. Got off at Ostiense station.  Went to take the underground tunnel to Piramide metro station and it was closed for construction.  Had a moment of freaking out, then simply walked upstairs and outside and walked the block to metro station.
  4. Took subway to Colosseo station. I had tickets booked in advance for 10:30 entrance time and was easily there 20 minutes in advance of the tour start.
  5. Around 4:00 pm after a day of touring, took the subway back to Termini station. Caught the 4:57 Frecce train back to Civitavecchia port (having the reserved seat in a quiet car was a nice way to end the day).  Made it back to the ship by 6:30 pm, in plenty of time before departure.

I liked it so much, am going back this year on the Symphony cruise in October to catch many of the sights I didn't have time for on the first trip.

Sounds good. The more I read, it sounds pretty easy. Thanks

Curious, once you got back to the Civi port, did you grab a taxi back to the ship?

On 7/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Thank you for all your info. 

What do you suggest for our situation?  We disembark on Wednesday, October 25 probably by 8 or 8:30 am and will be going to our hotel in Rome not far from the Trevi Fountain.  Since we'll have luggage, it sounds like we shouldn't take a local train and try to deal with finding a place for our luggage on the train.  Can we get a train ticket that includes the bus from the port and also the train with reserved seats and luggage storage?  We should go to Roma Termini, correct?

5 minutes ago, baz48 said:

What do you suggest for our situation?  We disembark on Wednesday, October 25 probably by 8 or 8:30 am and will be going to our hotel in Rome not far from the Trevi Fountain.  Since we'll have luggage, it sounds like we shouldn't take a local train and try to deal with finding a place for our luggage on the train.  Can we get a train ticket that includes the bus from the port and also the train with reserved seats and luggage storage?  We should go to Roma Termini, correct?

In your situation I would book the 9:16 Frecce train to Rome Termini.  If you enter "Civitavecchia Porto" as your "from" station (as opposed to simply Civitavecchia) the system will include the bus ticket as well.

5 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

In your situation I would book the 9:16 Frecce train to Rome Termini.  If you enter "Civitavecchia Porto" as your "from" station (as opposed to simply Civitavecchia) the system will include the bus ticket as well.

Thanks so much.

Has any one recently used the Civitavechia express train to and from Rome.  We are planning to use this option as opposed to a bus tour and have a few questions.  We are wondering if you purchase the tickets online what do you get, a paper ticket or an electronic one.  Another question that I am having trouble finding the answer to is whether the train stops at San Pietro station on the return trip from Rome to pick up passengers.  We also wondered if you miss the express train can you use the express ticket on another train.

Any help is highly appreciated.     

Tickets purchased on line are digital.

The Civitavecchia Express makes two stops in Rome on every run, in each direction, at S. Pietro and Ostiense.

In theory I would think the CE ticket could be used on a regionale train, but I don't know that for sure.

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering about the ticket since we are scheduled to dock at 8 AM and I was a little concerned that with getting off the ship, finding the shuttle, etc. and getting to the station by 9:07.  If we miss the express we will probably just take one of the regular trains.

I prefer the express since the San Pietro station is where we want to go.