Testing at end of cruise and before return to US in June 2022

FauxNom

So I think I understand this, but would love confirmation and any anecdotes about a couple of things I have to look forward to when I cruise on the Wind in a month from Athens to Lisbon.

1. In the EU, and entering Portugal specifically, does Silversea still give everyone an antigen test the day before the end of the cruise?
  2. If a passenger fails that test, is it presumed that you're sent off the ship and into quarantine in the disembarkation city? (I assume Silversea is not in the habit of letting a passenger ride out the quarantine onboard at the end of a cruise, as we saw earlier.)
  3. Does anyone know the quarantine period for Portugal?
  4. I'm staying one night in a hotel as part of the cruise package. Is there any way that Silversea would give me another antigen test on the day we disembark, so that I can use it as the required test to return to the US? (I'll be prepared to do the video-monitored iHealth test, as I'm unsure about finding a commercially-available test on a Sunday in Lisbon.)

Thanks in advance if you have any info! I know it could all change in 4-6 weeks, but I want to know roughly what to expect. I'm finally letting it sink in that this cruise might actually happen, and the travel jitters are setting in. . .

Edited by FauxNom

On the Spirit at the end of March all the in-transit pax going on to Barcelona (we were Transatlantic) were obliged to test, and any disembarking pax who needed a test for travel, were tested the day before disembarkation in Lisbon. If you are disembarking but not flying immediately to the US, I doubt you'd be obliged to test on the ship, the travel tests were optional and only for those who needed them, the Brits didn't test. But if you disembark, THEN test and are positive, SS probably won't help you, so I'd guess it'd be a good idea to do the SS test on the ship.

I actually tested positive, spent that night in isolation on the ship and was disembarked to spend six nights in isolation in a hotel room in Lisbon; then I just checked out and flew to London, there was no need to 'test out'.

Portugal requires 7 days self isolation.

SS arranged it all, transported me to the (luxury) hotel, and paid for it all. They are refunding the cost of the cruise I missed (I was supposed to be on the ship for another 7 days), the pro-rated cost of the night in isolation on the ship, and also my other out of pocket expenses related to the premature disembarkation. They were very efficient, I was phoned every day by my contact in the Silvercare team, and apart from being stuck in one room for six days it wasn't terribly unpleasant.

I can't answer your query about an antigen test on actual disembarkation day but I think you'd be lucky, that's such a busy time for all the crew.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

But if you disembark, THEN test and are positive, SS probably won't help you, so I'd guess it'd be a good idea to do the SS test on the ship.

I was thinking about this scenario too, and I think you're right. I was so sorry to read that you tested positive, but WOW--it sounds like Silversea treated you very well. Even so, 7 days of isolation would require a lot of patience!

Thanks so much for your detailed response. I like being able to spin through the various scenarios if that dreaded news were to come my way.

15 hours ago, FauxNom said:

I'll be prepared to do the video-monitored iHealth test, as I'm unsure about finding a commercially-available test on a Sunday in Lisbon.

I don't know the specifics for the iHealth test but when we went to do the Binax tests in Paris 2+ weeks ago, we needed to download an app first (called Navica). Turns out you can't download the app if you're not in the USA! So I had to come up with a workaround (VPN to the rescue) in order to download the app while in France, so I could set up for the testing.

Once that hurdle was passed, the testing process was smooth and easy. So if you need to download any kind of phone app prior to the test, I'd advise doing so prior to leaving the US.

PS have a great trip!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

If necessary, it seems you can do an antigen test at the airport - it'd mean getting there in good time but might be a useful safety net. Open 6am - 10pm, presumably seven days a week, outside security.

If you wanted to go out there the day before you fly, taxis in Lisbon are pretty cheap, it cost me about $25 from downtown.

You should already know that you are negative if you've done the SS on board test.

https://www.ucs.pt/covid-19-tests-to-passengers

https://www.ana.pt/en/lis/services-shopping/essential-services/health-services

• Thanks 1

We got off the Dawn on the 18th in Rome. SS offered an antigen test on the 17th. US required a test w/in 24 hours- good for those flying home the 18th. However, we were flying home on the 20th. We had brought eMed, proctored tests and used those. They report results in the Navica app mentioned by JP, but they also send an email so Navica app is not necessary. It worked seamlessly.

I recommend you order and bring some eMed or other proctored test kits. If you are staying one night post cruise and the US doesn't change the rules the test SS offers on the penultimate day of the cruise won't be sufficient. 

On our cruise we arrived in Rome on Easter Monday, a holiday,. Most pharmacies and other businesses were closed and the hotel didn't have testing facilities. A test kit was by far the best option!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @sea bright - yes, I have a small stockpile of the free tests our state provides, and it turns out you can simply purchase the proctoring separately. iHealth says you need a real computer with a Chrome browser, rather than a phone. I'm scratching my head over that one because it seems like I could just open Chrome on my Google phone and be good to go. At least there's testing at the Lisbon airport as a fallback, though.

Or maybe the CDC will drop the test requirement. . . 

We went transatlantic to Lisbon and stayed a few days there. We had no trouble going to a pharmacy waiting about fifteen minutes and got a test. I think it was $50 a person. The results came by text in about an hour. Very efficient. We had checked at several pharmacies before and none said we needed an appointment. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, blacksmith said:

SS has arranged antigen testing at the SS hotel for this afternoon. A printed copy of results will be supplied at checkout.

That's great to hear! Hope you had a wonderful cruise!