Required insurance for US cruisers on Iona

Match Game 72

• Match Game 72 changed the title to Required insurance for US cruisers on Iona
4 minutes ago, Match Game 72 said:

Hello,

Does anyone know what insurance is required for passengers from the US? The P&O website states UK cruisers only when talking about insurance.

Thanks for any help.

The same insurance for everyone.

It is advisable to have excellent cruise insurance.

P&O ask at check in if you have insurance but in the last 8 months we have had 4 P&O cruises from Southampton and no one at check in has asked to check our insurance policy.

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The same insurance for everyone.

It is advisable to have excellent cruise insurance.

P&O ask at check in if you have insurance but in the last 8 months we have had 4 P&O cruises from Southampton and no one at check in has asked to check our insurance policy.

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, we are US citizens traveling on P&O next month with UK family. We had the same question. I called P&O and they told me we needed the same insurance as everyone else. Unfortunately they don’t sell cruise insurance in the US, and don’t provide the limit structure required by PO, and non in residents can’t buy the policy in the UK. After much research, I got  a letter from our primary medical insurer stating we had unlimited worldwide coverage and took out a travel policy with $1m in emergency evacuation expense with crum and foster from InsureMyTrip.com. It was tough just finding the $1m in expense coverage, the 2m pound coverage was not available. Hopefully they won’t even check, but I think  what I have is sufficient. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 2:43 PM, moonjoe said:

Hello, we are US citizens traveling on P&O next month with UK family. We had the same question. I called P&O and they told me we needed the same insurance as everyone else. Unfortunately they don’t sell cruise insurance in the US, and don’t provide the limit structure required by PO, and non in residents can’t buy the policy in the UK. After much research, I got  a letter from our primary medical insurer stating we had unlimited worldwide coverage and took out a travel policy with $1m in emergency evacuation expense with crum and foster from InsureMyTrip.com. It was tough just finding the $1m in expense coverage, the 2m pound coverage was not available. Hopefully they won’t even check, but I think  what I have is sufficient. 

Joe

Hi Joe, we are in exactly the same situation as you - I had come to a similar conclusion re: using our primary medical insurance plus a travel policy, but would love to hear if you have any further updates or thoughts.

We sail on the 9th July cruise - any chance we're on the same one?

5 hours ago, moonjoe said:

I am on the week before you!  No change in plans, I think I’ll be fine.  Assume if I am not posting here, we had no problems! 😊

Hi Joe.

The P&O online check in form asks for your insurance companies name and emergency telephone number.

We have had 4 P&O cruises and 1 Royal Caribbean cruise since August 2021 and been asked at check in  twice if we had insurance but never asked to show details although we were covered as required.

P&O do not do covid testing at the terminal now but you still need to get a negative lateral flow test 24 hours before boarding.

You also need to do an online medical declaration 2 days before cruising.

Graham.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, moonjoe said:

I am on the week before you!  No change in plans, I think I’ll be fine.  Assume if I am not posting here, we had no problems! 😊

Thanks Joe, I hope you have a great cruise! I look forward to hearing nothing 😉