Oosterdam public areas

Bella99

Hi everyone.  Am looking at a South America/Antarctica cruise on Oosterdam in an outside cabin.  What are the views from the indoor public areas like?  Should I consider a balcony?  Thanks for your thoughts

One thing to consider, is that while cruising through the 'scenic viewing' areas (Fjords, Glacier Alley, Antarctica, etc.), the weather will likely be rather cold and therefore, not really balcony sitting weather.🥶

On previous cruises we have done in the arctic, we found the viewing much more enjoyable in the warm/sheltered locations mentioned by @Heartgrove , then sitting on our balcony.

When I've been to Antarctica, there was sometimes a bitter, strong wind. When there was, I found one side of the ship to be impossible to stay outside on, and the other was comfortably in the lee. Once in a while I would head to the bitter side, but stand behind the superstructure, which broke it and made it all right for a few minutes. 

You need to get outside and be able to move around from one side to another on this cruise. 
Sometimes there is no wind, the air is calm, and comfortable. Just bring a heavy coat and gloves. 

• Like 1

The glass domed Lido is a favorite and toasty spot when cruising in cold weather destinations- all the chairs that normally face the pool get turned around to face outwards to the sea and the passing scenery. 

For Antarctica - a balcony is nice to allow you to see the sights from your cabin.   

Sometimes trying to find an viewing spot from the Crows Nest or other popular spots can be difficult as many people will get their early and camp out all day.   

Even if you can't sit on your balcony, you will have a floor to ceiling window with better views.

From time to time, the Captain may announce a whale sighting and if it happens to be on your side - and you are in your cabin - you can quickly go on your balcony rather than rush to an open deck.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1