Day trip from Dublin to Glendalough- recommenations?

In July our ship is scheduled to be in port at 0700 at  Dun Laoghaire Harbour and leaving the following day at 1700.  We are interested in a day tour to Glendalough. I've read reviews and have contacted Hilltop Treks.  Two questions- has anyone used this company and would you recommend? Also, the meeting place is at 0920 at the Molly Malone statue. Suggestions about how best to travel from the port to arrive at the meeting place on time should we decide to use this company. Or, any other thoughts about traveling to Glendalough? My former boss, who is Irish,  says it is a "must see" in order to get a feel for Ireland. Thanks!

As you are overnighting, would you consider renting a car?

It is an easy drive to Glendalough (OK it's on the wrong side of the road for you!),

There are a couple of car rental firms quite close to Dun Laoghaire.

https://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/location/ireland/dublin/DUBS64

https://www.enterprise.ie/en/car-hire/locations/ireland/south-dublin-dun-laoghaire-i104.html?mcid=yext:245709

• Thanks 1

If you are docking in Dun Laoghaire, why would you go all the way into Dublin to meet the tour guide and then drive back the way you came. Glendalough is a must do but I would look for someone who would pick you up in Dun Laoghaire. Try Kieran at www.TourDublin.ie  I have booked tours with him in the past and have recommended him to others. He can certainly put together a nice tour for you. Or you can also do as VMax1700 has suggested as then you wouldn't have to drive in the craziness that is Dublin traffic 🙂

• Like 1

I can't remember who we used but we met at Molly Malone. Good tour but a packed van made an uncomfortable day. We did several day trips from Dublin and most memorable was Newgrange. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, mljatsea said:

I can't remember who we used but we met at Molly Malone. Good tour but a packed van made an uncomfortable day. We did several day trips from Dublin and most memorable was Newgrange. 

Do you remember who you used for the Newgrange tour? I really want to do that.

4 minutes ago, mljatsea said:

We booked through Viator in 2019 but they aren't offering it now. There is some info on the new grange site: https://www.newgrange.com/tours.htm that might be helpful

Just remember that Viator doesn't "offer" anything. They are a middleman between you and the provider. You are much better booking directly with a provider.

3 hours ago, mljatsea said:

We booked through Viator in 2019 but they aren't offering it now. There is some info on the new grange site: https://www.newgrange.com/tours.htm that might be helpful

Thank you. I did email the tour provider listed there but they’re sold out for that day. I *really* want to see Newgrange. I was in Dublin in 2019 on a cruise but I didn’t think to look for a tour there as I didn’t realize it was so close. I’m considering renting a car but I really don’t want to do that. I don’t know how to drive a stick and I doubt I’ll be able to find an automatic for a reasonable price. I don’t know, I’ll look some more. 

5 hours ago, racephoto said:

Thank you. I did email the tour provider listed there but they’re sold out for that day. I *really* want to see Newgrange. I was in Dublin in 2019 on a cruise but I didn’t think to look for a tour there as I didn’t realize it was so close. I’m considering renting a car but I really don’t want to do that. I don’t know how to drive a stick and I doubt I’ll be able to find an automatic for a reasonable price. I don’t know, I’ll look some more. 

That's too bad. The provider that Viator used no longer offers Newgrange. One of the best parts is going into the mound in very tight space so might be a COVID issue. Hope you can go another time. So much is different now, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

Tours of Newgrange are timed entry so it is important to book an early slot. Try the following

Newgrange Tours By Mary Gibbons | Newgrange Tours | Dublin

She specializes in tours of Newgrange and hopefully will have availability for when you are in Ireland. Be sure and let them know if you are docked in Dun Laoghaire as that is south of Dublin city. You could also try the agency I suggested previously, www.TourDublin.ie

I would agree that Newgrange is also a must do. Lots of amazing places/things to see/do in Ireland!

Patty