seeking info on Venice airport

moatenote

We start our Med O cruise in Venice (May 13) and would appreciate any information on the arrival process at the airport (VCE).  How long will it take us to clear cusstoms/immigration, etc.  We're scheduled to arrive there at 9:05 am.  Thanks!  We haven't cruised in 2 years and are looking forward to sailing on Viking Ocean again!!!!

In the pre-Covid days….

There was a direct flight from Toronto to  Venice that arrived around 9AM. I took that flight four years in a row, and luggage was already coming down the carousel.

Customs was a breeze as well. For this particular flight, there was dedicated customs, so we weren’t waiting in a customs hall with hundreds of people from dozens of other flights. Never more than 1/2 hour. Regarding transatlantic flights, I know there used to be the direct flight to Venice from Philadelphia. I do not believe that there are a lot of direct flights to international countries (other than Africa and the Middle East), so hopefully your 9AM arrival works in your favour.

Granted this was back in 2019, but I thought I would give you an idea of how things may be. In my opinion 7-9 AM seems to be a very busy time because there are numerous flights which leave for European capitals and then connect internationally. Then a bit of a lull, and then things pick up again around 11Am. Mind you cruise ship days and weekends do mess up my theory.

Cheers

• Like 1

VCE is a relatively convenient airport, in terms of moving in and out.  My wife and I have flown in via Zurich twice.  Convenient luggage pickup, buses to the Pizzale Roma at the front door, limo pickup nearby.

You can also take the vaporetto or a private water taxi from the airport to various points in Venice.

https://www.bookwatertaxivenice.com/services/marco-polo-airport-to-venice

A private water taxi, though not inexpensive, is a convenient, fast, magical way to enter this ancient port city.  Remember you will also be paying too much for the requisite overpriced 30 minute gondola ride.  Venice has the distinction of being one of the most, if not the most, expensive cities in the world but it is one of the places the memories are the strongest.  

• Like 2