Ned

REDSTRIPETYPE

In 2018 we cruised the French Polynesia on Paul Gaugin and last week we just got off the Windstar Breeze after 20 days starting in Tahiti and ending in San Diego.

Was the best cruise ever (20 plus on Celebrity).  Best food and entertainment with outstanding service.

However two other guests told us that the food on Oceania is even better (hard to fathom) and Oceania has an itinerary we are interested in booking, however we have some questions.

The pictures in the brochure all show the men wearing sport jackets. Is that the norm? How formal is the environment onboard.

Past guests on this forum and the brochure talk about instrumental music etc. Is there a band that performs dance music such as classic Frank Sinatra, or popular dance tunes such as the Beatles etc?

Any other info about the crew, WIFI, laundry,  etc would be appreciated.

I guess in essence what I am asking is Oceania very formal overall like Crystal etc?

Forget the sport coat although some men do wear them, 10% or so. Maybe for a La Reserve dinner or Captain Reception but my coats have been retired, as am I.  Just give me my Brooks Brothers button down shirts and I am good to go for any dining or evening activity.  
A single Wifi account is provided so just log off and on to share with spouse. Free self service laundry provided and if in Concierge Level or above, you get three bags of laundry done for no charge

Yes, the Finest Cuisine at Sea is no joke. Our friends from Celebrity do NOT go back unless it is an itinerary issue. You will love the 650+ and 1200 passenger Oceania ships and Vista arriving in a year will be spectacular. May 4 2024 itineraries go on sale so Bookem Dano.

This is a great site so ask any questions and you will get your answers.

Welcome to Oceania,

Mauibabes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

In 2018 we cruised the French Polynesia on Paul Gaugin and last week we just got off the Windstar Breeze after 20 days starting in Tahiti and ending in San Diego.

Was the best cruise ever (20 plus on Celebrity).  Best food and entertainment with outstanding service.

However two other guests told us that the food on Oceania is even better (hard to fathom) and Oceania has an itinerary we are interested in booking, however we have some questions.

The pictures in the brochure all show the men wearing sport jackets. Is that the norm? How formal is the environment onboard.

Past guests on this forum and the brochure talk about instrumental music etc. Is there a band that performs dance music such as classic Frank Sinatra, or popular dance tunes such as the Beatles etc?

Any other info about the crew, WIFI, laundry,  etc would be appreciated.

I guess in essence what I am asking is Oceania very formal overall like Crystal etc?

I suggest you follow the CC Oceania forums for awhile.

O’s got two tag lines that sum up their onboard experience: “Finest Cuisine at Sea” and “Country Club Casual.”

While many land based Michelin starred restaurants and some of your favorite neighborhood mom & pop ethnic joints may have far better “this or that,” you will find that O’s food truly is the “best at sea.”

As for the “blazer” pictures, you will see them occasionally in the specialty restaurants but there are far more men in slacks and collared shirts. Women may find that nothing more fancy than that “little black dress” will cover any occasion (though there will be  the rare O newbie who is disappointed that there are no “prom nights”).

The niche that O fills is its accommodation of folks who are accomplished in their professional pursuits, generally well traveled and decorous. Equally important, the O regulars understand the value inherent in O’s optional inclusiveness (i.e., the O Life experience) where your hard earned dollars go toward your personal preferences.

How much do we prefer O? Over the next 12 months, we’ll spend more than 100 nights across 4 long cruises totaling 8 different cruise segments. 

• Like 1

I believe the OP is wanting to compare Oceania to PG or Windstar, not Celebrity. For the latter, there’s little comparison, Oceania is far superior in most every category. 

However, for the first two, it’s an entirely different experience. PG is far more into experiencing the FP culture, cuisine, habitats. The enrichment series on PG is far superior to that on Oceania. While with a blind eye the food is better on Oceania, it’s the same food in the FP as in the Baltic or the Med. You’ll get one Polynesian buffet in the Terrace as their FP experience. Then it’s back to the regular. 

I don’t look for a steak house when visiting Boston, nor a lobster shack in Germany. Some do, and only want the familiar. Only you can decide what experience you want in any locale.

You will have an extremely great experience wherever you cruise to on Oceania. You just must realize how the experiences can be different.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

Dress tends to flow with the climate and  destination... South pacific collard shirts and  slacks  Europe, More dressy. 

Of course some, myself included wear to many specialties like Polo and Jaques a  blazer with collard shirt.    Reg Ginger/ Toscana   more casual.   Main dining Room...  I'd personally dress more up than down.   Terrace,  golf shirt and slacks.         

NO...it is not like Crystal and why they are chapter 11, maybe.  No attitude, 

As for food.... thats what they serve on Other ships is food.    

On Oceania , they offer cuisine .   Lobster in every restaurant , even to pool grill daily...  ( on Celeb and others,....while they are dishing out Tacos' and burgers , on O, the pool grill  offers Grilled Mahi Mahi with Ginger aoli,  Truffel fries, Kobe Burgers with demi glace, and Lobster and filet sandwiches...)    Get the picture!

Wifi?   never used it.... I came to get away from that crap..

Something's  that are intangible are  1.  the quality of ones fellow passengers low key and well mannered. and  2 the number of passengers     600-1000 on O.......Not hundreds less than other  lines  but THOUSANDS less   And NO up charges, , except for liquor, pretty much all inclusive..

Do I enjoy it?    Well after cruising 30 years, From NCL-Royal Viking, Holland, Celeb, and Regent I  for  the past decade Only spend my money on O.........    Sometimes you realize from experience that you can not better your hand....       Ok

Enjoy

download (1).jpg

• Like 2