Fully Vaccinated

I have tried to call Carnival and they must be having phone issues and my PVP is not getting back to me via email.   Does anyone know what fully vaccinated means.  My friend has 2 doses of Moderna but has not taken the booster.   Is that still considered fully vaccinated.   We sail 5/19 so we are running out of the 14 time limit for the pre cruise requirement should she have to get boosted.

Thanks,

What is considered fully vaccinated?

An individual is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after the administration of the last dose in their primary vaccine series. On embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since receiving the final dose in a vaccine series. Some countries and regions have a time limit on when the last dose was given to be considered fully vaccinated. Some destinations define a fully vaccinated guests as someone who has received their booster dose, if eligible.

What is considered "up to date" relative to COVID vaccines?

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated and not yet eligible for a booster, the guest is also considered up to date and may take their pre-cruise COVID test as early as three days before the cruise. Fully vaccinated guests are encouraged to visit the CDC's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. to determine when they are eligible for a booster.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

What COVID-19 vaccine types are accepted?

We only accept vaccines that are approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. FDA, or the World Health Organization, or the European Medicines Agency (EMA). Some countries and regions on the itinerary may only accept vaccines approved by their regulatory agencies.

Currently approved or authorized vaccine types:

COVID-19 Vaccination Manufacturer Also known as:
Pfizer: 2 Doses Comirnaty / BioNTech
Moderna: 2 Doses Spikevax

Your friend would be considered fully vaccinated but not "up to date".  They must test 2 days prior to embarkation. 

As long as she could answer yes to the vaccination survey we are ok.    Being we have only 1 or 2 days she is seeing about getting the booster.     

Thank you for the responses.   Just dont want any surprises at the port.

4 hours ago, Karen112999 said:

I have tried to call Carnival and they must be having phone issues and my PVP is not getting back to me via email.   Does anyone know what fully vaccinated means.  My friend has 2 doses of Moderna but has not taken the booster.   Is that still considered fully vaccinated.   We sail 5/19 so we are running out of the 14 time limit for the pre cruise requirement should she have to get boosted.

Thanks,

You didn't say what ship you are on, but mentioned sailing on 5/19.  As far as I know, the Pride sailing on 5/19 is the only ship on that date that DOES require the booster if it will be more than six months since your second dose.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, 1kaper said:

What COVID-19 vaccine types are accepted?

We only accept vaccines that are approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. FDA, or the World Health Organization, or the European Medicines Agency (EMA). Some countries and regions on the itinerary may only accept vaccines approved by their regulatory agencies.

Currently approved or authorized vaccine types:

COVID-19 Vaccination Manufacturer Also known as:
Pfizer: 2 Doses Comirnaty / BioNTech
Moderna: 2 Doses Spikevax

Your friend would be considered fully vaccinated but not "up to date".  They must test 2 days prior to embarkation. 

Where did you find this? the list I just found on Carnivals website included many more allowed vaccines. 

Just now, tap_out said:

Where did you find this? the list I just found on Carnivals website included many more allowed vaccines. 

I cut it off because OP specified which vaccines her friend had so the rest weren't relevant. 
I didnt' realize it might cause confusion.  There are certainly more. 

34 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I cut it off because OP specified which vaccines her friend had so the rest weren't relevant. 
I didnt' realize it might cause confusion.  There are certainly more. 

I started to panic for a brief second lol 

Who Can Get a Booster

ELIGIBLE FOR
1 Booster

Everyone ages 12 years and older can get 1 booster after completing their COVID-19 vaccine primary series.

Learn when you can get your 1st booster below.

ELIGIBLE FOR
2 Boosters

• Adults ages 50 years and older
  • People ages 12 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised
  • People who got 2 doses (1 primary dose and 1 booster) of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine

Learn when you can get your 2nd booster below and what you should consider.

Above is from CDC Website.  I'm over 50 and thought I was fully vaccinated with 1 booster but according to Carnival and their reference to "eligible" it sounds like I need the 2nd booster in order to be able to get the Covid test 3 days out?  

Has anyone had experience with this?  Thanks

5 minutes ago, velmasue said:

Who Can Get a Booster

ELIGIBLE FOR
1 Booster

Everyone ages 12 years and older can get 1 booster after completing their COVID-19 vaccine primary series.

Learn when you can get your 1st booster below.

ELIGIBLE FOR
2 Boosters

• Adults ages 50 years and older
  • People ages 12 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised
  • People who got 2 doses (1 primary dose and 1 booster) of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine

Learn when you can get your 2nd booster below and what you should consider.

Above is from CDC Website.  I'm over 50 and thought I was fully vaccinated with 1 booster but according to Carnival and their reference to "eligible" it sounds like I need the 2nd booster in order to be able to get the Covid test 3 days out?  

Has anyone had experience with this?  Thanks

I am in Canada and each of our Provinces (States) have different rules.  I am in the over 50 category but we are not eligible for a second booster as of yet, they are saying in the fall or perhaps next year for booster #2

I called and asked PVP and she said 1 booster is considered fully vaccinated.   I've asked that question to John Heald on his Facebook page too but haven't gotten response yet.  I'm paranoid.  I want to get the Covid test asap but I don't want any surprises at the port!

4 minutes ago, velmasue said:

I called and asked PVP and she said 1 booster is considered fully vaccinated.   I've asked that question to John Heald on his Facebook page too but haven't gotten response yet.  I'm paranoid.  I want to get the Covid test asap but I don't want any surprises at the port!

fully vaccinated is still just two shots. The first and the second. 

“up to date” depends on the booster. 
Up until yesterday or today it was 1 booster. But it looks like there was an update and it isn’t clear to me. The way I read it it is 2 if you are eligible now. 
but I have no seen John clarify. It is very new info. 

Edited by 1kaper

19 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

I am in Canada and each of our Provinces (States) have different rules.  I am in the over 50 category but we are not eligible for a second booster as of yet, they are saying in the fall or perhaps next year for booster #2

same. 

we sailed with our kid in March. Our province didn’t start doing his age group until December. He didn’t get his second shot until February so he was not eligible for a booster. 
we were able to test 3 days ahead for all.  (We are boosted). 

46 minutes ago, velmasue said:

You need to go by Carnival's page. That is the authority. What your TA or PVP or whatever tells you is not going to get you on the ship when you're in line at check-in. Even John Heald has been giving incorrect information. Carnival's COVID 19 page is the authority and is frequently updated.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

Edited by mz-s

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You need to go by Carnival's page. That is the authority. What your TA or PVP or whatever tells you is not going to get you on the ship when you're in line at check-in. Even John Heald has been giving incorrect information. Carnival's COVID 19 page is the authority and is frequently updated.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

when I read that page it directs you to CDC which outlines some people are eligible for a second booster. 
so to me that means that if you are eligible for a second booster, you are required to have it or be considered “up to date” and test 3 days ahead. 

however, I see John just answered that they are still only requiring one booster. That may change as it seems they update to that page was very recent. 

Who Can Get a Booster

ELIGIBLE FOR
1 Booster
Everyone ages 12 years and older can get 1 booster after completing their COVID-19 vaccine primary series.

ELIGIBLE FOR
2 Boosters
Adults ages 50 years and older
People ages 12 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised

Edited by 1kaper

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

when I read that page it directs you to CDC which outlines some people are eligible for a second booster. 
so to me that means that if you are eligible for a second booster, you are required to have it or be considered “up to date” and test 3 days ahead. 

however, I see John just answered that they are still only requiring one booster. That may change as it seems they update to that page was very recent. 

Who Can Get a Booster

ELIGIBLE FOR
1 Booster
Everyone ages 12 years and older can get 1 booster after completing their COVID-19 vaccine primary series.

ELIGIBLE FOR
2 Boosters
Adults ages 50 years and older
People ages 12 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised

Even though the CDC now allows for a second booster for certain groups, they've still not added that second booster to the "up-to-date" definition. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html but that could change at any time, even tomorrow.

Basically they've been making it all up as they go along (the CDC I mean).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Even though the CDC now allows for a second booster for certain groups, they've still not added that second booster to the "up-to-date" definition. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html but that could change at any time, even tomorrow.

Basically they've been making it all up as they go along (the CDC I mean).

but Carnival’s definition of “up to date” says “Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.”

so to me that reads that if you are eligible For the second dose, you need to have it. 

Don't forget you have to factor in the CDC is an American entity and makes rules for the US, Carnival has passengers from all over the world and has to use wording/make allowances for the rules that citizens of other countries will have to follow.   For instance as a Canadian most of us are not even eligible for a second booster so requiring a second booster would eliminate Canadians from going on Carnival, where wording such as being up to date would allow for the rules coming from other countries.

10 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Don't forget you have to factor in the CDC is an American entity and makes rules for the US, Carnival has passengers from all over the world and has to use wording/make allowances for the rules that citizens of other countries will have to follow.   For instance as a Canadian most of us are not even eligible for a second booster so requiring a second booster would eliminate Canadians from going on Carnival, where wording such as being up to date would allow for the rules coming from other countries.

yes but in Canada you are not eligible for a second booster. 

They only require a booster if you are eligible. 

i am in Canada. My son was not eligible for a booster because we rolled out his age group long after the Us did. He was able to test 3 days before because he was not eligible. 

and, with the exception of a few sailings, no boosters are required. When you test depends on boosters, if eligible. 

Edited by 1kaper

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

but Carnival’s definition of “up to date” says “Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.”

so to me that reads that if you are eligible For the second dose, you need to have it. 

They certainly won't turn you away if you get the second booster, so if that additional day of testing window is so important to you, boost. Especially since anything can change between now and when you actually sail.

Edited by mz-s

We are leaving on Carnival Magic on May 15, well over 50, and just got our second booster on May 3 so less that the 14 day required.  I just don't want any surprises at the Port.  I was thinking of just waiting a day and still may do that but, of course, I'm anxious to get the test over with as is the rest of our group.   Hopefully the answer from Heald will suffice

17 minutes ago, velmasue said:

We are leaving on Carnival Magic on May 15, well over 50, and just got our second booster on May 3 so less that the 14 day required.  I just don't want any surprises at the Port.  I was thinking of just waiting a day and still may do that but, of course, I'm anxious to get the test over with as is the rest of our group.   Hopefully the answer from Heald will suffice

the other thing is I am not sure if you have to wait 2 weeks after the booster. My understanding was it was 2 weeks after initial rounds to be fully vaccinated but you are up to date as soon as you receive the booster. 

but I’m not 100% on that. 

3 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

the other thing is I am not sure if you have to wait 2 weeks after the booster. My understanding was it was 2 weeks after initial rounds to be fully vaccinated but you are up to date as soon as you receive the booster. 

but I’m not 100% on that. 

Oh I didn't realize that!  Thank you.  I'll check into that too